1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Recording Gameplay on pc

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by boothy_1993, 4 Apr 2010.

1. boothy_1993

boothy_1993 CPC refugee

Right ive tried fraps and wegame and they both see very laggy ingame so im wondering is there a non laggy way of recording gameplay. could you use a hd pvr like console players do or is there another way. Maybe im not setting wegame or fraps up right. HELP!

boothy

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

fraps is the best.. with your setup you should have absolutely no problem recording.. it's getting it setup properly

I have an esata drive that has a partition called capture.. that way it's always clean and ready top go for about an hour and half of recording if needed at 1080p.. if you record to your main drive- it's fragmented and you'll get skips as the drive tries to keep up

if only have one drive.. can shrink it after a defrag with the manager in vista/win 7.. you'll have to to turn off system restore and delete your swap file first though

3. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

Xfire

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I don't have the fps to record, i get playable fps but when recording with something like fraps its just terrible.

The best gaming videos are made by people getting easily a minimum of 60 fps.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

********, 20 - 25 is adequate

6. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I use the full version of FRAPS and don't have much 'noticeable' lag with movie recordings on most games.

I use full screen recording mode set at 30fps to reduce any serious gameplay lag during games that may be running at 60 + fps.

I used to get proper lag back in the days when I had full screen FRAPS recordings on the same hard drive as the system and games drive. Now I use a completely separate drive dedicated only to FRAPS recordings - the same drive you have in your sig (1TB Samsung F1).

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

+1

Any fps beyond the format you're capturing in is totally pointless in regards to video quality, and recording in any format beyond 30 is essentially pointless. Iirc, most DVD/Blu-ray codecs are 25-30 fps and they looks just fine. Around 20 frames perhaps you're causing stutters that might be noticable to a keen eye, but 60 is ridiculous.

8. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

In my opinion, I think he meant 60 + fps in game, not the actual FRAPS recording rate. Meaning, the higher your in-game frame rate, the less likely you are to have gameplay lag while you are recording and gaming. If your gaming frame rate is 25 - 30 fps and you use full screen FRAPS to record while you are gaming, you may experience gameplay lag.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Agreed, and he's right - you take a performance hit from recording fullscreen video at that rate, either by re-encoding it on the fly or just from dumping such huge amounts of data to a video file. Starting with only 30fps is for speshheads.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

well fraps is weird in a way.. if you record in fraps at 60 fps with the sync on (think they took this out in latest versions)- you get a really nice representation of what your actually seeing.. but it does affect your fps a bit at 1080p doing 1/2 screen@60fps

so you need to have a card/system that can handle > 60fps with fraps running.. if you record at 30fps with the sync off.. it will drop frames lost as long as you don't drop below 30

but it's not a true 1:1 representation of what's happening- it makes for a smoother video though (only bad if your rig, like a netbook, can't run a full 1080p flash stream).. I run 60fps/no sync in fraps whenever my rig can get a steady 60 fps vsynced in game while recording.. but sometimes you have to cut it to 30 (example would be crysis or stalker:cop on max settings)

here's an example- just recorded this last night at 30fps @1080p 4xaa in 1080p.. I edited it without compression so that should be a true rep of what you'd see.. was I getting a full 60fps? with fraps running no

crysis is very different as it's hell of playable at lower frame rates.. I dunno why but it just is- and the stalker xray engine is total crap in comparison XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqgWkzlYng&fmt=37 <-- 1080p

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Ah see I took it as him advising 60+fps while recording just to be smooth and safe. The way it's worded seemed to imply that having a higher frame rate during recording would make your movies better, at least for my brain. But yes, you're entirely right. Keeping a minimum of whatever frame rate you're recording at is desired.

12. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Give PlayClaw a shot. Free trial available, then $30 to buy.

My PC spec is shown in my signature. I can't do full frame recording as it slows down too much, but half size at 30fps has virtually no impact in some games (CS:Source, Star Trek Online); with a more noticeable, but still just about manageable slowdown in others (COD MW2).

Apparently performance is excellent on quad cores, so hopefully it will be pretty speedy on your system. Although, if you still get slowdown I'd recommend getting a second hard drive in there to record to so as to minimise the thrashing done by your drive trying to serve up the game and record at the same time. Mine had pretty shoddy performance until I popped a spare 500GB in there to save all the videos to.