1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubi: DRM not behind Splinter Cell PC delay

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Blah Blah Yadda Yadda bunch of muppits!

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

debug the DRM so that it won't overload their servers like Assassin's Creed?

4. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

Bah, I'd forgot about SC being a Ubifail game. My conn drops everytime I get an incoming call, so I won't be getting this.

5. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

AC II has been defeated so will be SC C

6. dextro

dextro What's a Dremel?

And I wanted to play both this game and AC2... oh well, guess I'll look into other games until the people at Ubi understand that DRM, and crippling DRM at that, isn't the way.

7. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

FAIL.

8. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Is it still considered piracy if I buy the game, but torrent a version that has the DRM stripped out of it and only install one of the 2?

9. Lightning98

Lightning98 Umm, hello.

That's generally what i do in most cases where the DRM is annoying enough (lately more common than say... 2,3 years ago)
    You purchased the game, so you reserve the right to do what you want, at least that is my opinion. If i desire to play the game i payed for without constantly exposing my computer to online work, i will do that.

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i cant wait for the pira....err.... non-DRM version!

11. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Why even bother when it gets cracked anyway?
    Pirates wont care, because there will always be a fix for the drm, and so only the PAYING consumers get shafted. Gee, what a GREAT idea...

12. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

As soon as the game becomes available on torrent sites, everyone and their mother should download and install it, even if they dont play it as a protest to stupid DRM that punishes the people who buy the product.

13. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

...their idea of polishing is integrating this turd of a DRM and keeping the game DX9. Go to hell Ubisoft...

14. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

I hope they spent more time debugging this one then the last one. Double agent on PC was full of bugs, some so bad you couldn't finish a level without going online to find a workaround. I gave up about halfway through.

15. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

It's being delayed so that there is a period where the only place to get it is on 360, and so in a way, since it is to discourage/prevent piracy, the delay itself is a form of DRM.

I couldn't care less.

I'll have it on 360, for free, most likely before release day and won't have to be online to play it. I win.

16. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

Oh well...two weeks isn't so bad.
    Something that struck me as being more retarded, why release a demo on the 360 and not the PC? Everyone knows it will run on the console, seems pointless.

17. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

I can't help but feel amused and also saddened by the fact that they are implementing a form of DRM on their products that actually *increases* the amount of piracy of those products simply because of how much it cripples the actual use of said products.

18. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I think rather than Ubisoft scrapping it and showing their customers that this form of DRM was wrong, they would rather keep it and remain "wrong and strong".

The other thing is that they want to see if they can get away with this and get customers 'used' to this DRM and have the public outcry die down.

Ubisoft are also one of the biggest supporters of the idea of OnLive, and IMO what they are doing is preparing the customer (PC and eventually console gamer) for their "OnLive" vision of their ultimate future business plan.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Tron has a good point, but really, while some people are quick to forget..others aren't..Spore anyone?

20. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Lol Spore. I waited for years for that game. I was even planning to pre-order it, but then I found out about the DRM and thought better of it. I do not condone Digital Rights Minimization, and I never will, therefore I do not buy DRM'd products.

Tags: Add Tags