1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DICE: We don't want to charge for BC2 maps

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Apr 2010.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Probably because we got them for free for years, made by the community using the included editors and played them on dedicated servers... oh wait, its 2010.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Look at it from the perspective of the past, free maps have been around forever. In fact nowadays modding isn't even that widespread, which is a shame tbh.

Look back at great multi-player games like CSS, or UT2004, all the plethora of mods and maps.

Even BF2 had at least a few maps, and I really wish user-created content was more widespread. Those were the times.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

When it comes to why additional content shouldn't be charged for I like to think of Valve. They see strong sales in theirs games long after release because new interest is sparked in their games and people who didn't previously buy are prompted to buy now. CS:S is still selling for $19.99 on Steam and people still buy it! Team Fortress 2 has debatably doubled in content compared to release due to additions from the developer (Valve) and content from the community. And it isn't just about knowing you'll get free goodies, it's also about knowing that you're buying from a company who truly appreciates your business and respects you as a consumer. It's this aspect of DICE which lets me see past the fact that Battlefield games are published by the dreaded EA and it's this aspect which makes me keen to buy DICE-made games in the future.

4. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I wonder if they are going to charge for Joystick support for us PC Gamers?

5. 7ony

7ony What's a Dremel?

Same here. As much as i enjoyed Cod4 and now BFBC2 they still dont stand up to the UT days. Played ut2k4 for over 3 years solid until the dissapointing UT3 arrived. The mod community for the UT games is probably the best around.

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

DICE and EA remind me of those couples, the ones everyone's known at some point, who argue all the time and everyone takes one look at them and says, "how the hell did they ever get together?"

7. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Yeah, I wouldn't mind them adding support for a Game Pad either. Then I could play when I can't be bothered to sit up my desk...

Last edited: 4 Apr 2010
  8. Mumps

Mumps What's a Dremel?

Now we only need they release a developer tool and let the created maps install in the "dedicated" servers.

Tags: Add Tags