1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Samsung X120 Ultraportable Laptop Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 2 Apr 2010.

1. geekboyUK

geekboyUK What's a Dremel?

I actually bought the X120 a few weeks ago to be used as follows:
    * Mostly used sat on sofa watching TV
    * Must be smaller and lighter than 14" Dell I was replacing
    * More power than an Atom (I run a dual core Atom server - just not sparky enough for general use)

It almost always is connected via power supply - which is a good thing as the battery really does only lasts just over a couple of hours when unplugged. There is a bigger battery available although I don't think I need this for my use.

It's a great PC though - feels as fast as what I was replacing but lighter, smaller and much better screen and keyboard.

2. Xir

Xir Modder

About twice, in the lowest configuration.
    Aktually it shows that the Intel GMA 4500M HD is better at playing HD content (noticed the HD in its signature?) than the Intel GMA3150 thats inside the N450...

Doesn't say a lot about the CPU...when one system offloads to graphics and the other doesn't.

Something YOU of all people should know...

3. Yardstick

Yardstick What's a Dremel?

I bought an X120 a couple of months ago for £399 (Carphone Wharehouse), which was the price sweet spot for me. I use the X120 for general browsing whilst sat on the sofa in my study and for watching iPlayer and HD downloaded conttent through an HDMI connection to the TV (very neat set up as I have wired up a couple of HDMI wall mouinted sockets with cabling in the wall). I have also used it as a retro gaming platform playing through Jedi Knight 2 again - fun on a 32 inch screen.

The X120 takes all of this in its stride and is light and comfortable to use. On the occasions I run it off the battery I have found that it manages about 2.5 hours but that is working hard running YouTube vids. For me it ticks all the boxes. I have my work Blackberry Bold for browsing / email on the go, so wouldn,t lug a netbook arround anyway.

4. CozaMcCoza

CozaMcCoza What's a Dremel?

Can you offer some alternatives to other than this ultraportable/netbook? Is there a difference between the two?

I'm looking into getting one for general web browsing as I don't want to always want to fire up my main PC (heavily OC'd and general power drainer) to surf the net. Plus I'm looking for something to take with me abroad

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Ultraportables have much faster CPUs and the capacity for more RAM. If you'd bothered to read the article, you'd notice that the X120 is more than twice as fast as an Atom-based netbook.

I'd go for a UL30A if I were you. I love mine, and they're only £350 now.

6. CozaMcCoza

An Atom-based notebook yes, but not all notebooks are Atom-based,

7. CozaMcCoza

And thank you for clarifying the point up about the faster speed/RAM capacity

8. Pardalu2

Pardalu2 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'm thinking to by a CULV notebook Asus UL30A-QX048V with the processor Intel SU7300.

You said in this article "SU7300 misterious lacks", I could find much more information about this.

Can you tell me more?

Best Regards

Tags: Add Tags