1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hacker releases NAT traversal tool

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Apr 2010.

1. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Not quite.
    Both of those require a rendezvous server to negotiate the tunnel.
    Logmein's servers for hamachi/logmein and supernodes for skype.
    This allows a tennul to be set up without anyone/anything in the middle to assist with negotiation.

As said though, it does require software running behind the NAT on both ends and as such, does require users to run malicious software behind their NAT routers to allow inbound traffic.

However, I can see that if this becomes popular, the random IPs used for the mock ping from user's machines will be known by malicious types and they can spray the web with malicious "echo" packets and be let through the NAT... :(

2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Hmmm... This is actually pure bloody brilliant! (as in: "why didn't someone think of this before")
    Go to the site and read the "How do you do it" part. Now if someone wraps this up with some authentication on both sides then we have a great new tool on our hands :)
    Of course as he mentions this won't work on all NAT routers. But on most :)

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

funny he mentions quake servers.. that's the first thing I thought of myself when talking udp- there's no checks with udp though.. what you get is what you get

icmp has to be on for this to work it looks like.. scary for a saddle popper though

Tags: Add Tags