1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubi: Settlers 7 DRM still not fixed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Apr 2010.

1. shokwaav

shokwaav What's a Dremel?

More ubifail :D

2. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

that is almost as stupid as the DRM system it is complaining about...

3. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

wait..... you created an account to write that?

eddtox likes this.
  4. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

+1 LOL, that is going in my sig!

5. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

This game isnt cracked yet but Ubisofts DRM isnt immune. Assins Creed 2 is after been cracked and is 100% playable. This game wont be too far behind. They messed up big time with using the the always online DRM.

6. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

I seem to remember an article where Ubi were responding to all the pre-DRM rollout criticism by saying there wouldn't be any down time or connection problems because they'd come up with a mega-cool system that would protect them from all that stuff. I think a hearty round of 'I told you so's is in order.

7. steve30x

No matter how hard they try they will never make a drm thats immune to problems or a drm that is immune to being cracked. Over the last few days there is a crack on torrent sites that is 100% working for assins creed (ewven though ubishaft will deny it)

8. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

"Our technical teams have made progress but we are not yet able to say that the issue is completely resolved."

Technical TEAMS !? This DRM must be costing UBISHIT and arm and a leg.

Stick to a CD Code which calls home when you install to check its valid. If you were half smart you would ban cracked codes with patch updates, stopping anybody who pirated from being able to play online and most from single player.

Hell have it call home each time you start the game if you will but do you really need to have it check every 2 or 3 seconds? Was this game sponsored by Labour?

9. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

No need for it. Simple as.

Most of the people who buy games would buy them even if there was no drm.
    The people who pirate games will continue to pirate whatever drm you put in.
    DRM is not working.

If their aim is to eradicate piracy through DRM they will probably spend more in the process than they will ever lose through piracy. Out of all the people who pirate games how many do you think would buy the game even if it was impossible to pirate? I promise you that a fair chunk wouldn't get it at all. In the meantime paying customers suffer and DRM development costs spiral.

And don't give me the rubbish about developers starving, because I don't buy it. Good games have always made big profits, DRM or no DRM. DRM is less to do with protecting artists and more to do with greed. Artists and publishers made millions when they were telling us that "home taping is killing music", and they continue to make millions now, despite the fact that "filesharing is killing music".

10. steve30x

LOL game developers arent starving. I saw an article about developers driving around in ferrari's and it showed their redicolously high wage.

11. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Even if you think every pirated copy = a lost sale (which is obviously not true) I still think the costs of the DRM not to mention the anger generated by such poorly-considered DRM far outweigh the benefits.

Can Bit not interview someone at Ubi for their side?
    Do they honestly see DRM as a good thing?
    What good do they think it does them?
    Is it just some amazing DRM salesman sucking them all in??

12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I'm actaully in the situation where i bought this game, couldn't play it at the wknd due to the server/drm issues, and have resorted to downloading a slightly less ligit version that works without being connected....I feel okay about this as I've actually bought the original so I don't consider it piracey, but just shows the obsence lengths Ubi will drive people to!

13. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Please don't talk about cracks and warez here, it's against the rules. :thumb:

15. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

**** them
    i was going to buy this game and love it buy hey i'm not always able to have an internet connection in UK let alone when travelling in South Africa so no sale UBISOFT
    hmm now what are these torrents and cracks i've been hearing about :) will have to look into those and have a game that just works

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Post the link to the article or stop spreading non senses.

17. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

eddtox my point was that you can have DRM in a LIMITED form, if you could just download the game like a film and play it then I think your asking for trouble really?

A limited implementation of DRM is ok, the lastest forms from the likes of UBISOFT are just rediculous and as you say yes they are almost undoubtedly spending more on implementing it and fixing the various problems than they are making in sales, as they are 1. putting people off buying it and 2. not really stopping the DRM problem because hackers just become more determined and hack it anyway.

The DRM on Warcraft 3 in my opinion was on the money. Just a CD code, simples!

18. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

Wasn't it one of the 3D Realms/DNF team that had the Ferrari? Quite a generalisation to base the entire industry on one person.
    Or maybe you are referring to Stefan Eriksson of Gizmondo fame? The guy who wrecked a Ferrari in America? Because he was involved in some shady business and his income was definately not from the video game industry.

Back to the topic though, why was the game released when it's obviously... broken? Wouldn't a delay hurt their reputation less than admitting that their DRM is stuffed? Or was this something they only discovered after the game was released?

19. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

And the Pirate played without issue the whole weekend.

Only the honest people got screwed!

I hope all those people affected took their game back as non-functional and bought a competing product.

20. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

lol.
    I just realised that you probably weren't the only one to do this and now Ubi will be thinking they have a massive piracy issue on their hands, while if they hadn't used such retarded DRM, the 'piracy' figures would be lower! :D

Tags: Add Tags