1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News bit-tech and Custom PC launch 2010 reader survey

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 8 Apr 2010.

1. i7lova

i7lova What's a Dremel?

Ok I see your point but what incentive besides recieving a bunch of spam does a U.S. reader like me get?? NONE therefore F*** this survey and its partners. :)

2. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

Yes I put my anti-spam email address in..
    All other details (Real Address, Phone number(s), etc) were 1337
    Glad I done that as there does not seem to be any obvious way to "unsubscribe" to the spam.

Survey kinda sucked anyways, limited questions like
    "What three things make you decide to purchase a game? "
    Actually I'd use a combination of more than 3 things to decide if buying a game..(as I'm sure most people would).

3. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

im going to assume that since im in the USA, I cant win the prizes..

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i begrudgingly entered all details, and after the draw i shall be sending an email to privacy@dennis.co.uk, asking for some of the information to be removed

5. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Well, as I said in the news post, it's your chance to shape what we write about - the survey is valuable to the team as it helps us know what you're interested in, what products you care about.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

7. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I'm sorry, but I refuse to do this. I have done these surveys in the past, however with Dennis Publishing's recent change in attitudes towards privacy (and towards DPA laws in general) I will not pass any of my details your way. When I had emails sent to competition addresses over a month after having it confirmed that the emails were *removed* from your database I lost my faith in you.

As such, the competition incentive is meaningless to me, even though I live in the UK. I could fill the survey in with fake details anyway, but then you could provide me with a means to fill it in properly without forcing me into an unfair privacy agreement.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well not worth my time to fill out if its only for the UK... oh well next time I suppose.

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

- no prizes outside of UK: 21st century techsite plox?
    - forcing to hand over data so you can spam the hell out of us: community site FAIL.

I'd like to warn you that because of these two things your survey will not be representative of bit-tech readers, it will tell you what the part of your audience that's the least critical wants to read about. I do hope you dont take the results too seriously, or we'll end up with a lot more shallow "roundups".

To make things more positive (i do wub u guys and this site) here's what i'd like to see more of:
    - modding content
    - event coverage
    - in-depth quality articles like the one about TRIM on SSDs.

Dont be evil!

10. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

No option to buy games that don't have sucky DRM?

11. roblikesbeer

roblikesbeer Bindi's sex slave.

If I enter my email address as privacy@dennis.co.uk will it create some sort of divide-by-zero spam loop...? ;)

Sifter3000 likes this.
  12. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Pretty sure I've not entered any comps since the Dennis takeover. its the only site with competitions that I see that doesn't have the opt out tick box. no box = no fill in.

Lets face it the absence of the box is for apathy data collection. People are far less likely to send an opt out email once they are on the list, as this requires effort (a tiny amount true but still effort), than to tick an opt out box, so your data retention rate goes up and your list of people to spam increases. If the survey was just to help out the site fine, but its also being used a data gathering tool. I disagree with this as a policy.
    I truly got fed up of the sneaky way marketing departments worked when I had a six month secondment in the company I work for's department.

13. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

+1 :thumb:

14. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

FWIW I believe that the Information Commissioner's Office best practice guidelines are being broken by Dennis, as I mentioned previously, by not providing an opt-out tick box, so I have raised a complaint with them under Data Protection: http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints.aspx

I know that bit-tech staff may have strongly disagreed with the new policy, but the guidelines are quite clear and companies are strongly recommended to follow them.

15. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

+ rep for that :D

16. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Naughty bit-tech not complying with DMA

17. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Are those guidelines or actual law? Don't think they can do much if it's just guidelines.

Personally just hoping the muffin man on 10 drury lane isn't real and, if he is i apologise for the spam he may be receiving:worried:

18. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

meh, Dennis already have my name and address, and even my bank details, and have for years, and I don't seem to get any spam.
    YMMV

19. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Filled out the survey, even if I'm not UK resident, until I saw the questions page about personal information.

Guess you can have your survey without me then.

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, you could just fill in....not your real data (the form takes sentences where numbers are required, tell 'em how you feel about data-harvesting) :D
    Off course this means you cannot win the price, but hey.

Ooooh, must remember that one!

Last edited: 9 Apr 2010
Tags: Add Tags