1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HTC dual-screen 'Courier' patented

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

I honestly can't see how such a patent could be legally enforceable. I don't see anything innovative in it at all. It's two touchscreens. Big deal.

People should remember: just because a patent has been issued by the patent office, it doesn't necessarily mean the law will respect it.

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

those hinges look silly!
    A big meh from me for now

4. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

I think Nintendo beat them to it.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I believe the hinges are dramatized to show how the two screens should behave in relation to each other, an actual product would probably have much more discrete hinges (like a Nintendo DS, as Autti pointed out these devices would at least look vaguely similar). Patent drawings aren't meant to be exact representations of real products, just a way of clearly and concisely explaining what specific ideas are being patented.

All the patent talk aside, smart phones, slates, or any other device that doesn't have a dedicated keyboard just isn't something I have a use for so I'm not terribly excited, but the ability to fold shut is something I'd like to see be more common. Much like the DS compared to the PSP, this device is something I would prefer over an iPad or the HP slate because of this feature. My coat pocket, for example, isn't wide enough to hold the latter two slates yet if you folded either one in half there would be no problem. Also, there is no case or cover required to protect the screens since they are not exposed in a closed position.

6. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Could it be that when the device is fully opened the hinges become part of the screen? Kind of looks that way to me..

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Ya well the same could be said about most of Apples Patents.... so HTC is just having to do similar to stop all of Apples BS lawsuits...

8. DirtyH

DirtyH What's a Dremel?

Maybe, but technically its time for an update.
    Imagine this thing with the power and two screens from the HTC HD2 for example.
    That would be awesome :D

I really hope the next Nintendo handheld will have similar high resolution screens.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Ya nintendo does for a hand held console, they patent for a dual screen cell phone.. see the difference and how thye could get away with it ;)

10. sompo

sompo What's a Dremel?

dual screens is to much for individual usage......i think single screen is enough.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

if you can't run two apps side-by-side, it's useless.

only reason to use hinged dual-screen device is for more functionality, in sacrifice of sturdiness. so the dual-screen must behave like Courier concept where two different apps can run side-by-side and stuff can be dragged between them.

which is currently not possible using any of the mobile OS. HTC will have to sit on this for a while.

Tags: Add Tags