1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News bit-tech and Custom PC launch 2010 reader survey

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 8 Apr 2010.

1. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

If you really wnt to improve BT and CPC, you could do the survey by yourself. Not prices, no personal info, only truth. After all only takes 1 or 2 minutes to fill the whole thing.

2. suicide eddie

suicide eddie What's a Dremel?

Yup did the same, too much personal detail. Also did not answer about half of the questions because there weren't any options for a neutral answer.

3. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

4. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

This ^^

I thought about putting a false phone number and postcode, but then thought "how will they know where to send my Corsair goodies?" and decided that I would play ball.
    Plus I would be the first to complain if CPC/Bit-Tech started publishing stuff I wasn't interested in. They provide a "free" website, chock full of good stuff and if they need a name on a database to keep it coming then thats OK by me.

IF I get lots of useless spam I may email privacy@dennis but I am happy to wait and see.

Funny how we accuse the DRM instigators as assuming we are all immoral, then when Dennis ask for our details we brand them as immoral.

5. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

They may have already had your details but they didn't necessarily have permission to use them before.

By ticking the box and submitting the survey you are giving that permission - both to use those details to spam you and to share your details so that others can spam you. It also states that the list of companies they can share your details with can change at any time, without asking you, just by updating the policy page.

I don't think it's wrong to dislike the 'privacy' policy - it explicitly states that spamming you and sharing your details is what you are allowing, and without providing an immediate opt-out option that's nasty, and possibly illegal.

Yes, you can get around it by providing fake information in those fields, but that is not the point.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, is "Licensed" your real first or last name then?

7. licenced

It's a combination of the two, but what does that have to do with this topic?

8. Widget

Widget What's a Dremel?

Happy to complete survey until my mobile number became a compulsory Q. Refuse to pay and waste time on deleting unsolicited marketing.

9. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

There is a little whiff of troll about you now, no laws have been broken and Dennis does ask if they can use your details. If you dont agree and dont want to enter your details then DONT, noone is forcing you. Dennis also gives you a simple opt out option, not as simple as a check box but simple nonetheless.

Edit

Dennis has abided by it all.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2010
  10. Coarse Hair

Coarse Hair What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry but I have to agree with licenced.

I would love to fill in the survey and put my opinions and ideas forward, I would even do it for no prizes! I regularly fill in surveys for Opinionbar & Gfk and have never had to submit mobile/landline numbers or home address.

"You will ALWAYS be given a straightforward way to opt out from our direct marketing each time you receive a communication from us or one of our advertising partners"

So does that mean one email/text direct to Dennis Publishing will stop everything, or do I have to email/text each partner that they have shared my information with, whenever these partners send me communication?

Will BT still accept & use survey answers regardless of incorrect contact details? If so, then I'll complete the survey.

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Hooray for fake answers. In the US anyway, not like it's a problem if I win!

The opt-out, though not perfect, really isn't anything difficult. It is "a simple and quick method for customers to opt out of marketing messages at no cost other than that of sending the message.". Seems just fine to me, certainly not nasty nor illegal, just not user friendly.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

hehe, Jedi, sure that applies to me :D

13. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Just don't give your details if you want to do the survey. I answered anon to all personal questions.

14. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I think it would be fair to argue they haven't abided by this. They might not have a consent box, however they are forcing you to give consent if you want to complete the survey. I think anyone would agree that not having a consent box is actually worse than having it already ticked. Dennis' privacy policy might not cross the letter of the law, but it certainly doesn't go with the spirit of the legislation.

15. cmdrgreg

cmdrgreg What's a Dremel?

I have read and understood the Dennis Publishing (UK) Ltd Privacy Notice www.dennis.co.uk/privacy/ ***
    Tick here ............
    yes
    Fill in the survey here
    umm no

16. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

If you dont want to enter your details then dont complete the survey.
    [Alexander the Meercat] Simples [/Meercat]

17. licenced

I'm sorry you think that. I'm not trying to troll, and I have given my opinions on this matter, with references, through this thread. Trolling, on the other hand is something different.

Yes, you can put in fake information in the contact details. But I'll say this once more - you are missing the point. This privacy policy applies to all competitions and surveys that Dennis run, not just this specific survey. And yes they already probably have your details, especially if you are a CustomPC subscriber (as I am), but when you enter any competition with the new policy you are giving permission for them to be used and passed on to third parties.

Dave

18. Xir

Xir Modder

...and that's totally unacceptable, I'm with you there. :thumb:

19. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

*Cough*

:D

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I just filled out the survey :)

Tags: Add Tags