1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northbridge mod

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lordflash, 11 Dec 2001.

1. Lordflash

Lordflash What's a Dremel?

I want to take the heaskink n fan off me north bridge how do i do it without damaging me mobo ?

2. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Very, Very Carefully! Maybe the Graphics Card freezer trick would work with this One?

3. RTT

RTT #parp

the fan is easy to get off, ususally 4 screws or some are clipped onto the mobo much like the big alpha.

just the heatsink thats the prob. as already said, the freezer method looks best

4. Lordflash

I thought of that but i dont have an anti static bag big enough

5. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

When I took mine off all I did was to push the white pin down a bit, compressed it with some pliers and then simply pulled it back and out. Dont hit the mobo with the pliers, but if you just take the sharp edge off the lip of the pin it falls through.

6. Lordflash

Cheers thanks for the help

7. sTevE

sTevE What's a Dremel?

Well if the mobo isnt that important to you. YOu shouldjust apply force. Thats what i do when i want the heatsinks on old crappy mobos. But i agreee, freezing it is best.

8. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

On the KT7 you don't need to freeze it. All you have are two white nylon pins which hold the HSF on the northbridge. Mind you, I can't see why you'd bother to change it, because my KT7A runs fine at 142 FSB with the stock HSF (with a little Arctic silver). I had a Blorb on there, but I couldn't fit that in as well as the PAL8045.

9. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

sTevE,

The information that I gave was specific to the KT7-Raid mobo, which is the one that both myself and Lordflash have. With the little white pins you can push them in a bit, blunt the lips and pull them out without applying any forse on the mobo. It might be different to your one, where the advice would not apply. Then again, you weren't asking.:D :p :D