1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD removed core unlocking fearing for reputation

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 13 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

This seems fair, tbh, though regretable. Those cores aren't available for a reason, and it was nice of AMD to trust people with the unlocking capability in the first place.

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Strange, i don't think AMD would get a hard time from anyone over this, certainly not from a legal standpoint, no one would have a leg to stand on if they tried to sue AMD for 'faulty' products, and members of the press online certainly wont take sides with someone complaining about not getting something for nothing.....

I believe the real reason they want the feature removed is because yields are now so good, that the vast majority of chips that come out of the foundry will unlock successfully.......last year it really was a lottery if you got free cores, now its a virtual certainty...

AMD cant afford to setup seperate production lines for 2,3,4 and now 6 core chips, so disabling core unlocking is the easiest way to protect their distinct product lines.....

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

don't agree with you here, better to underpromise and overdeliver rather than have a raft of problems and bad press

5. October

October Mariachi Style

Shame to hear this, AMD's reputation certainly went up a mile in my books after I unlocked my X2 :sigh: Stupid claim culture ruining something else :grr: :wallbash:

6. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

+1

7. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

does the msi bios update fix the poor perf of the matx msi 890 board?

8. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I suspect system builders were selling tri-cores unlocked as quads etc.....
    This would not go down too well, and if the machine was unstable, it would appear on the net in forums etc before it was traced back to a 'dodgy' system builder/reseller.....

Just enable it for OCers, who know where to find it etc.....(and add a big disclaimer)

9. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Funny, it's amazing how upbeat everyone is about it. What would the reaction be if it was Intel or Nvidia? I'm sure there would be hell.

Sounds like they took the "lottery core" April fool article to heart...

Last edited: 13 Apr 2010
  10. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

very true

intel : we are releasing a new cpu that will change the industry
    people : yeah right its gona suck

AMD: we will release a new cpu that will change the industry (twice as slow and intel)
    people: OMG !!!! OMG !!! #&(%##

11. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Never tried the core unlocking as preferred a guaranteed stable 4 cores, but it does seem like it is mostly down to some disreputable suppliers selling unlocked 3 core chips as quads.

12. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Reading through the comments I can understand how system builders are selling 4 cores when only 3 are stable.
    However, using this argument you could state that a Q6600 was clocked at 2.4GHz for a reason and allowing people to overclock them to upto 4GHz is likely to ruin Intel's reputation.
    Plainly this is ridiculous. We know that some Q6600's comfortably clock to epic levels, while some others struggle above 3.2GHz, depending on the luck of the draw.
    Some AMD triple cores had a "good" fourth core, some didn't.
    If a system builder was selling an AMDx3 with 4 cores and stating it was a quad core they should be in trouble for trades description, just like an overclocker can't take a i7 930, clock it to i7 extreme clocks and call it an i7 extreme chip.
    AMD should be blameless and therefore shouldn;t have to remove enthusiast support.

Anybody buying a PC part with a stated specification shouldn't be able to complain if the part won't run stably at a different specification. Half the fun of these things is seeing how much extra you can get for free. Not buying cheap and expecting extra for free.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

sad I can't unlock mine thanks to an nVidia chipset :(

14. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

The amount of abuse I've given people in tech forums who complain they can't unlock extra cores is phenomenal!

15. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Spot on guys. Just more white noise from AMD and more promises that they can't deliver. Same old AMD PR machine trying to cover up their cracks that have clearly appeared.

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Folks most manufactures like ASUS for example made their own unlocking ability in the BIOS so this will limit the ability to those who know what they are doing versus those who do not like you could with Overdrive so this will reduce the bad press, I think it was a good move on AMD part

17. leslie

leslie Just me!

The problem is that many people seem to think they are entitled to an overclock. They aren't, but just look around on a few forums and you will see they seem to feel this way.

Why AMD didn't see this coming though is beyond me. It has long been known that shady system builders do this.

18. Cepheus

Cepheus What's a Dremel?

How is this promises they can't deliver? Did you even read the article or did you just decide to troll?

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I vote just trolling

20. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

+1.

why are people blaming AMD for doing something they never said it was ment for? Stupid, just stupid. AMD gives us the opportunity to get more out of our processors and moron's complain. :wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags