1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC powers on for less than a second...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Bobinator2000, 13 Apr 2010.

1. Bobinator2000

Bobinator2000 I don't smell bad.

I just built a new PC.

Specs:
    Mobo - Asus P6TD Deluxe
    CPU - i7 930
    PSU - Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 850
    RAM - Crucial Ballistix 6GB DDR3 Tripple Channel
    GPU - 8800GT (from my old machine, haven't got round to buying a new one yet)
    Sound - Asus Xonar DX

Symptoms:
    I plug in the PC power, flick the switch at the back, the power and reset buttons light up on the mobo, press either the power button on the mobo or the front of the case (it's the same either way) the LED's in the fans and the RAM light up for much less than a second, then it just won't do anything until you completely power down the mobo (unplug the power and wait for the lights to turn off on the power and reset switch on the mobo, then plug back in).

What I have tried to fix the problem:
    I have checked all the power connections to the mobo. They are correct and in fine.

I have checked all the jumpers. They are all on normal.

I have taken out the battery for a while. Then put it back in.

What I think it might be (but I don't want it to be :():
    I have googled this and so far it says the PSU might be faulty or something.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic What's a Dremel?

Make sure that your motherboard is grounded properly. Is it sitting on all the little standoffs and screwed into the correct holes so that it's not touching the case?

Make sure that the power switch is connected correctly to the motherboard too.

Also go over all the connections again, you haven't missed the little 4 or 6 pin connection on the motherboard near the CPU?

3. Bobinator2000

Bobinator2000 I don't smell bad.

I managed to get it working :]

I plugged the wrong cable into the GPU. Doh! Oh well. Thanks anyway.