1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New 6-core AMD CPUs overclock to 4GHz on air

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. shokwaav

shokwaav What's a Dremel?

wow air cooling? amd's getting good............................

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Its also worth pointing out that when Scan added the 6 core 2.8GHz Thurban, it was only £165. Even if you could only overclock to 3.5GHz on air, thats still a lot of processing power at a decent price.

4. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Eagerly anticipating the release of the 1090T BE. Had decided to upgrade my chip about 2 months ago to a phenom 965 seeing as they are so cheap and achieve 4ghz on air, then the news arrived that these would be release on April 26th and won't be costing an arm and a leg so I thought I'd hold out. I'll be running the chip on an asus m4a79 deluxe 790fx motherboard (updated the bios last week to take the new chips) but if bit-tech wants to swap an 890fx board for this I'd be very appreciative???? ;-)

5. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Even if the App takes advantage of these, ive heard that these still only perform similiar to an I7?

6. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Same price range, so is that a bad thing? For amd users it's great to have a similar spec (performance wise) option rather than taking a general performance hit by opting for an amd system.

I think this chip represents a good "stop the rot" move from amd. Anybody considering an upgrade who read reviews were only really left with one option until now, intel. AMD chips weren't the best at multitasking and hopefully this will improve their reputation in the area. Now people wanting to upgrade will have two hopefully similar options and for those of us already on amd platform the cost is minimal. Therefore amd will retain more customers until the release of bulldozer

Last edited: 14 Apr 2010
  7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

It really depends on the core architecture though. Fine they have 6 cores but if software doesn't use them properly (even multithreaded apps seem not to benefit too much from the extra 2 cores) then it really comes down to the workload each core can do and core for core I think Intel is still miles ahead.

I do think this has a whiff of the old MHz days though. 'Your CPU has 4 cores, but mine has 6 with go faster stripes...'. I also hope that these will bring the prices of current CPUs down and not just replace them. I hope Dual-Core and older Quads just become better priced rather than obsolete.

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

At long last AMD finally gets a chip which can compete with Intel in the top end! After months of domination by the i7 series, some challengers should result in better pricing!

9. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

What's up with the 12-core link requiring a username & password?

10. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Hmmm, what's the PPD of these things?

11. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Is the opteron link supposed to link to a top secret beta password protected version of bit?

12. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

13. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Oops, thanks, fixed!

Yes, it's the beta version of the new version of the site :)

14. dec

dec [blank space]

+1.

Any word on what it can get with water?

15. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Having just proved my error spotting ability I think I deserve said beta access.

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

WOOT WOOOT WOOOOOOT

Thank you AMD, keep it up. :)

So I havent read up on these yet, so if someone could give a basic break down for these CPUs

What Socket are they?
    Do they have any backwards compatibility?

Like I have an ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe motherboard would be nice to keep using it but if not understandable just pinching pennies where I can lol.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2010
  17. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

@HourBeforeDawn: Yes, can I stick one in an AM2 motherboard? Please, please xD

18. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

ASUS have released BIOS updates for their full range of AM2+ and AM3 boards, even the nVidia variants. AM2 might be asking too much.

Please be good journalists and quote your source: The source of the data http://forum.coolaler.com/showpost.php?p=2601846&postcount=25

Glad you like the cooler, just like a Nordwand but half the price. ;)

I know someone this side of the world has been running HT 243 for 3.4GHz on a 14x locked CPU with a stock cooler. So that blows a hole in the 230MHz wall. That board usually tops out around 260-275MHz on Deneb and Propus so 3.85GHz looks like the theoretical limit for low end boards, but like i7 980x the extra cores will increase the strain on the VRMs so even if you watercool you should make sure there is plenty of airflow around the VRMs especially on boards without VRM heatsinks.

19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

To be honest, I don't see the big deal. Clock for clock and core for core, AMD is yet to compete with Nehalem. So what does a 4GHz+ overclock do? Get them to performance parity with a 3-point-something GHz Core i7?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm talking about benchmarks. Yes, for gaming, there's little difference, so don't go biting my head off just yet.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That was not my source of data, I talked to motherboard companies working on their 890FX. ;)

stonedsurd - for the odd applications that are in need of particular core features, rather than sharing through HyperThreading, the 6-cores will actually be faster. Check our recent 12-core AMD review ;)

Tags: Add Tags