1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MMORPG - Guild Wars

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by antec900, 1 Apr 2010.

1. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

Ok i have been looking for a good mmorpg for ages but i am not willing to pay for wow as i find the prices to high. Im not looking to sit infront of the pc 8 hours a day either but i would like a large amount of content so i dont get bored when i do play.

I think that guild wars looks like a worthy rival to the famous wow games but im not sure whch one i should get.Is Factions Blizzards latest standalone game or is prophecies newer. I would like the latest version with the best graphics as i know the first games visuals were quite poor compared to world of warcraft.

Thanks ever so much and i would appreciate any feedback you can offer.

2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure Nightfall is the newest right now, with Guild Wars 2 supposed to come out by next year.

I've played the original (aka Prophecies) and Nightfall. Personally I liked Nightfall better, not because of the graphics but just because I preferred playing as a Paragon or Dervish. Also I didn't really notice a big difference in the graphics between either of them (but I haven't played in at least a year).

3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Guild Wars original --> Factions --> Nightfall --> Eye Of The North
    in chronological order of release

EOtN is the only true expansion, it requires the original Guild Wars, the others can run standalone.

I used to play, racked up a good 1000 hours, got one character through the original game, then Factions, then 90% of Nightfall before I gave up. Had multiple other characters too. It's good fun, and not having to pay subscription fees is a godsend because I played quite irregularly.

A quirk of it being several games that can run standalone is that you can choose to link your product keys, or have separate accounts for each game I think (at least, that's the way it was 3 years ago). Having them separate means you get 4 character slots per game, if you link them you get 4 for the first game, then 2 extra for each extra game (with the option of more slots for ~£6 each), but of course then you can take one character all the way, and share equipment etc.

Bear in mind I may be wrong, I haven't played for a veeeeery long time.

But yes, bear in mind that GW2 will be out sometime this year or next year, and I suspect most players will migrate to that, so I would advise not to invest too much in the original series. (source & source)

4. klutch4891

Ahhah! I had I feeling I was forgetting an expansion but Wikipedia wasn't being helpful.

5. luciana07

luciana07 Banned

GW2 will be released this year or next year, I think that most players will pay attention to that, so do not invest too much in the original series any more.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2010
  6. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

I only ever played the original Guild Wars, my PC decided to feck up my DirectX just as the first expansion came out. Now I got my PC fixed I think I might get back into this, was good fun.

7. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

am i the only one that liked factions the best? I seem to be, but farming on the jade sea was always fun, such a nice place to look at. Also ritualists and assasins i found really fun classes to play as.

But yea, nightfall had heroes, and dirvish's which everyone seemed to love. Completed all the main stories for the original, factions and nightfall, i found the original a bit boring mind, the best mission was always fighting shiro at the end of factions (another reason why i thought factions was cool), shiro you bugger *shakes fists*.

Never bought EotN, but one thing that game did seem to have was all the most powerful PvM skills, and some good pvp skills too, and you need to own it to transfer your titles and such to guild wars 2.

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I tended to enjoy Factions more as well. I tired of NF's throw more enemies at it strategy.

Still playing off and on, getting titles up for GW2.

9. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

I still play on and off. With no new content for while the game has turned into a bit of grindfest. There are less players doing the missions so its harder to find a cooperative team. With the game being a little quiet you'll find yourself in empty guilds; find anactive one and you're set. I would definately link all your accounts so don't have to keep unlocking the same skills on different accounts.

Factions was good with some of the missions being quite challenging even on normal mode. Tyria (prophecies) was good fun but I found NF a bit of a grind being an elonian (generated in NF campaign) character. In terms of choosing a character I would start playing a Necro as they perform reallywellin HM and have the best 'inherent' energy management. With factions you get to lvl20 and fullpower the fastest.

The game is five years old so the graphics are not great but they do look good to me. D&D online is now free and seems okay. I have not really invested enough time in it make a sound judgement though.

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

cheers, didn't know that. I got D&D online as part of an Atari 10 game boxset (£5 from PC World) christmas time and hadn't installed it.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

12. klutch4891

Sure the character looks decent, but what about all the textures in the background? They're not exactly top notch.

13. thehippoz

of course.. that's toa- those textures were made in 2005! they got better over the next expansions.. like pretty much all the stuff in eye is good.. give you an example of what you'll see in eye- prophesies is old school.. actually came out before wow

that character salma got remade the other day as they're adding new content to transition into gw2.. kinda sneak peek at the type of armor we'll see in the new game.. the gw engine is pretty good and has gotten better over time.. just they never go back and re-do the old textures.. why people say the game is dated- they've just never seen the expansions

[​IMG]

that run your looking at.. you won't see anyone else doing it lol post nerf too.. well kayin will know what he's looking at =]

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

So they did nerf that finally.

I gotta find a way to play again.

15. thehippoz

don't think it's a good nerf really.. just enough to please the whiners who couldn't run the original builds but saw people doing it- like really is a pug going to do 12 minute uw clears XD um no

it's easier in a lot of ways too- there's no health spikes but you have to bring a lot more on your bar to maintain shadow form.. that bar right there I can run around with spell immunity and -25 damage + 50% dodge.. fendi was a lot easier before the nerf though- just wanted to prove it was possible

why I always liked gw.. you can make builds and do whatever you can dream up- do what's impossible for the average player and profit =] market is not anything cool like eve but it's free

to the op.. go with nightfall and eye of the north expansion- those are the last 2

that should be enough till gw2 comes out either end of the year or q1 2011.. from what we know about gw2 so far- it's going to be pretty good and you can use the hall of monuments in eye of the north to get bonuses in the the next game

16. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

Not sure shadow form builds have ever really been the preserve of l33t players. I'm one of the people who think they should have just got rid of it. Killed any remaining economy but I suppose it made sins feel useful outside PvP :p. Gratz though I thought SoO was mostly farmed by 600s with strom chaser.

All the chapters combined can be found reasonably cheap; I think to get the best out of the game you need all the skills.

Thanks for the info the shining blade camp, could be interesting.

17. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

From what I've seen of GW2, it just looks like a rip-off of WoW and FFXI with the different races. Wee cute and cuddly inventor/magic races, guns attached to swords etc. It will probably still be good but from the videos I've seen, it looks like they have ripped off a lot of the Final Fantasy ideas.

18. ptb

ptb What's a Dremel?

new game is looking really good, but who said its coming out next year?
    last thing i heard was: its coming out when were done...
    so that might take 2, 3 years...

19. thehippoz

gamestop has a november preorder and on the forums there's hardcore who badger the devs.. it looks like early next year with beta by december

20. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I bought GW and the add-ons when Steam had it on offer, as I fancied trying an MMORPG.

I have come from a Baldurs Gate / Dragon Age background, and found GW very basic, which put me off very quickly.

Am sure I will give it another go in the future though as my attention span at the mo is pretty low!