1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New 6-core AMD CPUs overclock to 4GHz on air

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Apr 2010.

1. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I really hope Shuttle releases a bios update that supports this cpu!

2. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

I can confirm that there is no FSB wall at 230MHz.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

So need for unlocked multipliers? excellent.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What CPU, board and conditions are you testing? :)

5. Cyberpower-UK

Unlocked multipliers are only helpful for noobs, quick and dirty OCs, rubbish motherboards with limited FSB overclocking capability or low FSB walls and pushing the limits on Phase or LN2. With 300MHz FSB and higher possible on some 790 and 890 boards it should be possible to push the 14x locked CPU to 4GHz. or more

6. Cyberpower-UK

Can't say, sorry.

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Woot, awesome, I love my board and well its been good to me, glad I will be able to squeeze some more life out of it. ^_^

8. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

The 4GHz and 4.2GHz result is suspiciously similar, but it features a 790FX not 890 which is where these CPUs should really shine.

Someone on XS has taken a 1055T to 4.2GHz and then some using a 300MHz FSB on a gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 link. Here's a 1055T @ 290 FSB and another at 300MHz and a nice review with a more conservative 250MHz so I think it's about time you retracted the paragraph about 230MHz FSB before people start thinking Intel paid you to do it, unless you meant 314MHz which is more likely to be a board than CPU limit.

According to Guru3D the 1055T will retail at $199 pitching it directly at i5 x4 750 and i5 x2 661. The 1090T at $299 it's competing with the i7 860 and 930.

All of these CPUs will overclock to around 4GHz with a good core contact HPC or a modest water cooling loop and decent mother board. The Phenom II x6 has the advantage of backward compatibility with existing DDR2 AM2+ and DDR3 AM3 boards making it a CPU only upgrade rather than costly a platform refresh for those who saw this coming. All the major board vendors are issuing BIOS updates. ASUS is expecting to be ready in time for the official launch on the 27th of April as they were with the i7 980X.

AMD's implementation of Turbo mode is both simple and aggressive with the 1055T dynamically overclocking by 2.5 multipliers (from x14 to 16.5 ~500MHz with the standard 200MHz FSB) when three or fewer CPUs are in use which should help in older and poorly coded games. The 1090T and other Black Edition variants will allow for higher turbo modes with a BIOS adjustable multiplier and a +2x default.

The Thuban CPUs lack HyperThreading which can improve multicore scaling.

Taking a comparison with 980x on performance alone is somewhat futile since you could get an entire system based on Phenom II x6 for the cost of a single 980x.

9. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Wonder what this could do under LN2!

10. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

A new foot-hold for AMD? Guess we will just have to wait and see.

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

It'd probably go insane. AMD's just scale so much better under extreme cooling. No cold bugs, or cold boot bugs. No freaking hassles, basically. Benching Intels under LN2 was all me and my friend used to do (he was an AMD nubcaek) but then we got some AMD hardware to play with courtesy of a local retailer and we were shocked to see how well they scaled and how ridiculously easy it was compared to the massive amount of tinkering required with Intel.
    Too bad they rarely get the numbers, though.

12. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Imagine a 5ghz hexacore under phase change... drool!

13. Initialised

CustomPCs very own Ben Hardwidge has been getting busy 6.3GHz on LN2 no 230MHz wall there.

14. HourBeforeDawn

Initialised, we understand, remember bit-tech wasnt ever the hardcore OCing site, its a review/article site so their focus on OCing has never been a priority, its always been the quality of the product its self and whats going on. Still yes they should be a bit more informative on what the limitations really are versus their own experience which can only be rated on the capability of the person doing the OC so doing some research to what others have done and taking the averages would be more accurate and simply mention something like we were able to achieve blah blah but we have scene upwards of blah blah being achieved but hey they do what they can do.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2010
  15. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Or even better, buy one of the new Phenom II X4 960T's for £120 and unlock the extra 2 cores on one of the newer ASUS boards to make it a fully fledged hexa-core CPU. Bargain of the year.

16. Initialised

Still hard to beat an X4 B50 for value.

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

230 not bad.. remember the old semprons could get 241 stable- took a bit of tweaking to do that and forget it on the older opterons.. lucky to get over 220, been awhile since messed with amd- were talking socket 754, 939 here hehe

that's pretty nice if it's stable.. how's the secret lab look bindi- any pictures =]

or hot hmong chicks I'll take either :lol:

18. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I would like to make a request... When you review the new AMD X6, could u please make some tests on an AM2+ motherboard with DDR2? I know that DDR3 is the standard now, but some of us are just going to upgrade their old mobo with a faster cpu, I would just like to know how big is the bottleneck of DDR2 vs. DDR3.

19. HourBeforeDawn

^^^ I second that, Im holding off ordering one until I know for sure that there will be a BIOS update for my ASUS M3 board, so far they only announced M4 boards having the compatibility already.

20. Cyberpower-UK

I've had them running on M2N68, bottom end DDR2 boards. Basically if you have ASUS, MSI or Gigbyte then there's probably already a BIOS that will work with Thubans on their site.

Tags: Add Tags