1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The £80 GPU

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by enigmo, 16 Apr 2010.

1. enigmo

enigmo Kettleboiler Extraordinaire

Any suggestions as to the highest ppd returning GPU I could get for around £80 second hand?

Situation is; BFG have my last 680i SLI board in on yet another warranty call and have had it since September. Due to lack of spares at their end, I've just not seen it back and so I'm going to lean on them for a graphics card for folding instead of a mobo I'm never going to use again. Since a 680i SLI board of whatever brand gets maybe £80 second hand these days, I would like to know what to ask them for. Any ideas? I might be able to push it to a little more as three boards, five warranty calls, and a 7month wait is a wee bit much :miffed:

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Look no further than either a GTS250 or a 9800GT my friend :thumb:

3. enigmo

Ta :)
    I take it the GTS250 would have a slight edge on the 9800GT, being slightly higher clocked with a few more shaders?

4. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

COrrect

5. Vaio

Vaio What's a Dremel?

2 8800GS cards from Maplins.

Works for me :eek:)

6. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

I know where you can get a brand new folding card for less than £80 ;)

www.videocardshop.co.uk

9600gso and 9800gt both under £80.

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Thats very poor value. On eBay you can pick up two 9600 GSOs for £80 and you will get 7-8K PPD combined from them.

8. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

I'm looking on the bay and I can only see the ddr2 model new for £50
    The other is being delivered from the usa for plus £30 delivery charges...

What search string did you use?

EDIT: Nevermind, the ones in the link I gave are ddr2 as well... Scrap that idea. But the 9800gt is still a good offer.

9. enigmo

Ta all. I'll start whinging at BFG to give me a 250, and settle for a 9800GT if they won't budge, which in all likelyhood I doubt they will on a 3 year old motherboard!
    In preparation for whatever card, I just got an Asus P5Q-Deluxe board for a pure (if budget) folding rig :) Currently only has my mates old 8800GTX, but that seems to be punting along nicely at the moment. Thinking of that, I have a question about PCIe lanes and ppd but that's a different topic so I'll start another thread... I've been folding over a year now, but never really got into it other than setting up clients on spare machines and leaving them trundle on, but now I can see how this can all get to be an expensive habit ;)

10. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Actually I think the 8800GTX is a poor folder due to its high power demands. But it will pull in the PPD :)

11. enigmo

I know it's a gas-guzzler, but I've dropped it into my PC at work so the leccy bill doesn't really bother me. I don't do any folding actually at home (ooh, irony?). Getting the missus to agree to me building a server and having it on 24/7 was an achievement, one that would have been shortlived if the 130W constant draw from a folding 8800GTX was added on!