1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Knightrider/HDD meter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 22 Jun 2002.

1. Problemchild49

Problemchild49 What's a Dremel?

Hi : I'm new to this forum and would like to try building the knight rider circuit. I would like to replace the Red LED's with Blue LED's . The spec are forward voltage 3.6v 20 mA, would this still work and what changes will I have to make

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

No changes needed, the LM3914 sets the LED current to a suitable level for any colour, and the 12V supply is ample for the 20-led version with 2 x 3.6V blues. :thumb:

3. hardware

hardware What's a Dremel?

Using this circuit elsewhere

I'd like to use the bargraph version of this circuit on my
    motorcycle as a visual deterrent part of my alarm system.
    Motorcycles here in the states are 12 volt.

I also need to separate the bargraph by about 15 inches or
    so via ribbon cable or wire.

Most of the led bargraphs I am looking at for the project are 20ma Leds.

Would building the project for this application be significantly different?

If not, what must I do differently?

Thanks,

Hardware

4. Donald7777

Donald7777 What's a Dremel?

what size of board should I use to make the 20 led project on ?
    sorry if it is a stupid question, because i have never worked with a board like this one.

Last edited: 12 May 2006
  5. Digital Pir8

Digital Pir8 What's a Dremel?

Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

First off, great mod, great guide! My hat's off to you, macroman.

I've assembled this project on breadboard for testing and it seems to be working properly except LED 10 is the first to light in BAR mode.
    I have VR3 set to 2.86Kohms to light LED 1 (LED 10 is already lit at that point) and VR2 set to 2.29Kohms to light all up to LED 9.
    It's not really a big deal - I can just move LED 10 to the first position on final assembly, but I was wondering if I connected something wrong... :worried:
    I'd post a pic, but it's a rat's nest of wires... :lol:

6. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

Is the RC4558 the same as the LM4558 because the cat.# on Rapid took me to the RC4558.

Another question, can we sell the extra HDD meters we make?

7. computer guy

computer guy What's a Dremel?

Problem

Hi

I decided to build one of the HDD activity meters (http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2002/06/23/hdd_activity_meter/1)

I designed my own board using the schematic provided. Two boards with leds on one and other components on the second board.
    However the Comparator IC (LM3914N) constantly gets 3.5v on the signal(5) pin.
    What could be the cause for this? Unplugging the HDD wire from the board doesn't do anything, still 3.5v.

Thank you :)

Edit:
    Don't worry I fixed it, a dry joint on the dual opamp. :)

Last edited: 10 Nov 2007
  8. edumanilha

edumanilha What's a Dremel?

Using this in PS2 mod

How can I use this direct in the HD instead of the motherboard?It's possible?

9. Anime_Dan

Anime_Dan What's a Dremel?

Confuzzled

Hi im brand new here and kinda new to circuits (done a few but not very well).
    Is there any way to get the circuit board printed professionally
    as iv used the boards macro used it the article but always
    failed at them whereas iv always found the slightly more professional
    ones easier to do, any ideas?
    And also i was kinda confused when looking at the pictures, what
    was the points of the random holes and tracks in the board that
    werent used?:wallbash:

10. macroman

macroman The One

You will notice as you read the article that the same board is used in several configurations and that not all holes are used in all circuits. Just don't bother drilling the holes you don't need. :duh:

11. ru66erducky

ru66erducky What's a Dremel?

LED light interest

Hi there,

I appreciate that you posted this article yonks ago but I've recently bought a newish Mazda Rx-8 and am looking at some upgrade options.

Rather than the classic Night Rider LED set in the bonnet im wanting to place long strips (prob around 3/4 feet long, into the sills of my car with blue LEDs.

Do you think its possible? Ideally they will have the version where both ends run into the middle and out again.

Im based in Manchester UK and am likely to get my parts from Maplins.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated!!

Thanks.

12. Bulb66

Bulb66 What's a Dremel?

Firstly sorry to dig up such an old thread :)

OK, I have been looking all over the net for a Audio VU meter and although I have found a lot, none of them really go into detail on the process to build them.

which bring me to this old thread, could this be used as an audio VU meter? would i just connect the output from my audio source to the input (HDD header) of this?

Or does anyone have a good step b step guide to building an LED VU meter?

Many thanks

James

13. kaarigar

kaarigar What's a Dremel?

Kit or a PCB for this project

I just found this great project today. I have gone through the entire project forum. I am lookign for a kit or a PCB to start with this project. Has anyone produced or made a PCB for this project? any PCB files, etc? Any respons eis greatly appreciated.

14. jynks

jynks What's a Dremel?

I hope to god this thread isn't dead, I spent ages making this and I am so close but it just wont work properly!

I have it powered up and connected to the mobo, without any activity I adjust V3 so nothing is lit, that works fine, I then copy a large file, and tweak V2 until everything is lit, works fine, then when I stop copying the file, all the LEDs still stay lit :( I have tried this method over and over again and eventually I run out of play in one of the pots.

It seems to work fine apart for that small (LARGE) problem, can anyone offer any suggestions / help please? It would be greatly appreciated, I have spent ages on this, seemed like it was going to work, then at the home stretch just didn't go all the way :(

I am using an ASUS P6T mobo and an SSD as my OS drive if that helps anyone, though when I transfer the data for tweaking under load I am transferring between normal disk drives

Please help!

15. sanjubluerock3

sanjubluerock3 What's a Dremel?

hii sorry to reopen this old thread i have an issue while printing the pcb layout i followed the instructions but i am not able to print the correct size please help me..

16. darkninja462

darkninja462 What's a Dremel?

I have built the circuit for the HDD LED Meter, however when I set no HDD activity to light no LED's and then full activity to light all LED's they continue to stay on even when there is no HDD activity ? has anyone else had the same problems ? Do find it rather annoying as I think I have built everything correctly even have taken out the capacitor to see if that was the problem.

Regards
    -Ninja

:waah:

Tags: Add Tags