1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Far Cry 2 is Underappreciated

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 Apr 2010.

1. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Funny thing is, i have 2 copies, one i got with my graphics card, the other i bought on release (oh god.
    I've tried selling them, to no avail. Hell i even trie to give them away.
    No luck.

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Excellent game engine, with some awesome scenery. Just a shame about the repetitive gameplay and lack of atmosphere - a whole country populated by mercenaries? It wasn't far off being a classic, and hopefully they will rectify the shortcomings in a sequel.

3. cjb119

cjb119 What's a Dremel?

mmm, article does capture the good points of the game. But it was also flawed, mainly by the checkpoints, which were just badly done, and broke the atmosphere...no way would they be resupplied that quickly.

But also by the lack of stealth, you couldn't sneak because the game didn't consider the grass to be obscuring you so the guards saw you right away, and once they saw you, the entire gang then seemed to know were you are, even if you killed the first bunch.

So your best bet seemed to be sniper from such a massive distance the game didn't even think you were at the objective (ie before the map swapped zoom levels).

This game would be immensely better if they implemented something like visibility meter from the Thief series. Where your sounds etc and amount of cover would change the ability for the guards to detect you.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Have you played Far Cry (the original) from start to finish ?
    THAT was a game that was worthy of a Great Sequel....It reminded me of how I felt when I played Half Life for the first time.......

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I started the game once and during the intro when you're a passenger on a Jeep, I had 20fps with a 9800GTX+ OC even at lowest details

uninstalled it

6. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

It's a bad game, simple.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Far Cry 1 was a pretty pap game in my opinion. Great scenery. Great sniping. A handful of brilliant levels (the first two, the three islands, the dam), but it was balanced out by too much dross. The mutants, the inside levels, the lack of proper saves, the mutants, the vehicles, the mutants and the later levels were all rubbish.

I like Far Cry 1 to a degree, have finished it many times, but it's still indefensible pap from many a' angle.

8. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Re-spawning enemies, too many checkpoints, etc etc. Good game, but I've tried playing it a second time, and failed. I.e gave up.

9. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

This article is really well written and it almost managed to fool me. The article does focus on the thing the game did well which was pre-carnage planning, and then the execution of said plan. However that nugget is just one corn kernel in a large peice of crap.

While I enjoyed peeking over a ridge to survey the target, picking out the explosive objects that I could use to light the area on fire, it all became very repetitive and so became my plans. Sniper rifle, RPG and an uzi, every, single, time. It was the only loadout that made sense. You NEEDED an RPG for the inevitable jeep or boat that would interrupt your travel, you NEEDED a sniper rifle because of the open areas providing to long a travel distance to traverse with a closer range weapon, and then you needed a CQB weapon. Anything else left you unprepared IMHO.

I almost cared about the characters, except that once I realized that it was random about who would live and die kind of annoyed me. Then the endign was just a slap in the face for all of the hours that I had slogged through.

Deauthorized. Uninstalled. Sold. One playthrough.

10. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

This game is one of the better FPS's in the last 10 years.
    This was during the time that only 5% of the population had DX10 capable computers, and morons were still running XP.
    If you played this in dx9 you opinion means zero.
    I will also say that this game was light years ahead of MW2, it was more of an open game than an amusement park ride on wheels.
    There was also the side game of finding the diamonds, how many nay-sayers found all of them (or even challenged their ADD minds to find ANY of them.

I have great memories of this game, so much in fact that I am thinking about playing it through again from the beginning. I bought the limited edition which came with a bunch of cool stuff as well as a map of the two sectors.
    I think the only single player game better than this in the last 5 years was Dragon Age:Origins.

Yours in fiery flame-thrower Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

11. Helz

Helz What's a Dremel?

Fallout 3 comes to mind. I know there are a lot of haters out there, but personally I thought it was fantastic. I'm a longtime fan of the original games too.

KotOR 2 is another sequel that was made by a different developer. Unfortunately it was released before it was finished and the plot becomes incoherent towards the end. Still I believe its superior to the original in a lot of ways.

12. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

If you think Crysis was badly coded (under DX9) you have an inch deep understanding of pc technology. The DX10 executable was a showcase pointless waste of time.

I gather your not a native English speaker. No biggie, but sentences should be ended, just trailing off with '... ' is annoying to read.

13. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

If you think Crysis was badly coded (under DX9) you have an inch deep understanding of pc technology. The DX10 executable was a showcase pointless waste of time.

I gather your not a native English speaker. No biggie, but sentences should be ended, just trailing off with '... ' is annoying to read.

14. Blackie Chan

Blackie Chan What's a Dremel?

I didn't like it. Had to cheat to make it any fun at all.

15. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I have played FC1, start to finish, but I agree with Joe on this one. It had some good stages, mainly at the beginning, but it had a hammy story, the mutants were terrible enemies, and the final stage was a joke. I think FC1 is often over-rated, and idolised by the people who like to demonise FC2 for not offering more of the same. It didn't feel anything like HL to me - a game that is in another league entirely.

@Chombo - my usual weapons combo (when I'd unlocked them) was auto shotgun, heavy machine gun and grenade launcher. I very rarely used sniper tactics (there are always ways to use the terrain to get close to your targets safely), and tended to shoot the drivers rather than blow up the vehicles.

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Loved it for a little while. Now I won't play it. Its just too boring.

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The main gripe of FC2 was though, it promised quite a bit, and didn't deliver at all.

Coupled with Ubisoft's abysmal decision of NOT allowing mod support, they basically shot themselves in the foot. The game was just asking for mods..
    And if not then that $12 DLC that gave 3 weapons didn't help either, and having an obtuse lack of air vehicles really kinda killed the game with all it's promised openness.

Sure I will full heartedly admit, it was fun, for a quite a while, until things that were cool started to wear thin. Once it's real ugly head reared in that's when the game lost all it's appeal. As for those who say that it wasn't full of potential, I beg to differ, if Ubisoft had say, included more things within and say, regulated respawns and such differently, or allowed modding, this game would be beastly.

Kinda like STALKER, on a basic level it's quite decently fun, but when it's modded, it's glorious.

18. omicron

omicron Baud.

If you're going to insult the guy's level of English, at least learn the difference between a possessive pronoun and a contraction.

19. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

This article is complete rubbish and looks like the typical case of glorification in retrospection. A game isn't just graphics (which I found to be rather gorgeous and which impressed me more than Crysis which I had played again just recently). If you asked now "Why did you play Crysis again then, and not FC2", the answer was "because Crysis is a game with decent enough gameplay to make it worthwhile playing it twice while playing FC2 was a plain PITA". It was a PITA because all the things the article points out has having been good weren't. It wasn't a case of carefully picking your tactics to tackle a checkpoint or convoy - at least not further into the game, when you had guns and ammo aplenty. It was a case of whipping out the sniper rifle first and picking off some foes from a distance, then an assault gun or rocket launcher for rest. Or approaching the checkpoint with the car, jumping into the gun position and wiping out as many enemies as possible with the mounted gun. What made this really bad that you had this again everytime you entered another cell of the map because the makers of the game were too dumb to create a small matrix containing some status info for each cell, allowing to spawn enemies more randomly. Crysis wasn't the most challenging or diverse game, but in comparison it was 100 times better. I am not even gonna start with Ubisoft's support for this game (or in general). The Ubisoft support people, and particulary the forum moderators are the most unintelligent, arrogant, dumb pricks I have ever met in any support in my life, and make look EA like heaven on earth to me. Maybe this doesn't apply to all of them, but to all I have met. I will never knowingly buy another game from Ubisoft. Never ever.

20. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Glad you mentioned Fallout 3. I thought that game was utter junk, yet I liked Far Cry 2 - some games just divide opinion - there's no right answer. I thought the article was good, mainly because I like the game. Everyone raves about Fallout 3, yet I thought it was just Oblivion with the trees and the plot removed.

Tags: Add Tags