1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Redesign

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by capnPedro, 19 Apr 2010.

1. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

If its like my works laptop, IE6, if the forum is on fixed width the search button to the right of the search box relocates to over the "welcome , username" part. This button is not present at all on the main site ( although until I get home and look on a non IE6 browser I don't know if this is intentional.)

2. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

Yay... user options->variable width :)

That's better.

It is still my opinion that the innovation and user customisation which existed in the 'Net' of old is quickly being replaced by standardisation and conformity.. this saddens me.

Anyway, new layout, jury is out until week end, by then I'll know if it's love or hate.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Nice to see the suggestions from the beta forum were implemented.

Looking good. No issues here.

With regard to variable width, it would be nice if you could set a custom value. Fixed is too narrow... and variable is too wide if I have my browser window the size I normally do (to look good with other sites open in separate tabs).

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I know what you mean, I was playing with max-width on the beta but I know if I did that people would moan (maybe I could add a third option).

The variable width is roughly how the old forum used to expand. Although now there are less adverts.

5. alastor

alastor Minimodder

I knew it was wider but couldn't work out why, shows how much attention I paid to the old advert positions :blush:

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Think the background looks awesome, think it's worth asking for it to be made into a Desktop wallpaper, different sizes if you would be so kind, heh.

Still, fine job on the change chaps, i forgot about the change when i logged on on my phone this afternoon.

Sam

7. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Links at bottom right don't work for popular companies, just goes to a 404...

Jamie likes this.
  8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Sorry for only getting back to you on the IE and search field/button issue now, but I had to be at work to check on IE8. I only have IE6 installed at home (not in use though :)).

IE6 with fixed width option: No problems regardless of the browser window being maximised or not.

IE6 with variable width option: Search field appears correctly regardless of the browser window being maximised or not. The search "button", however, doesn't appear at all.

IE8 with fixed width option: Search "button" appears below search field and partially obscures the "Welcome, <user name>" text. This is regardless of a maximised browser window or not.

IE8 with variable width option: When the browser window is maximised there are no problems. Otherwise the same problem as with IE8 and the fixed width option.

Jamie likes this.
  9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

No issues with search button or bar here, both in IE8 and FF3.6.3. Either fixed or variable. All is well here.

They work ok here in both the above browsers.

10. whisperwolf

On IE6 on my work laptop, the Popular Topics and Popular Company links at the bottom right of page Work fine when on www.bit-tech.net, but go 404 if in a forums.bit-tech.net addresses

Edit:
    Pics to show IE6 search bar issue, Though I'd be surprised if your rushing to fix IE6 issues, ANy ad block is due to works firewall
    Main site search button missing
    [​IMG]
    forum fixed width
    [​IMG]
    Forum variable width (working)
    [​IMG]

Screen resolution width is 1280

Last edited: 20 Apr 2010
  11. Jamie

404 links at the bottom of the forum has been fixed.

12. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Just edited a post, and the button i was expecting to see, didn't appear, but instead showed up as "Vote Now" but worked all the same (Sorry, no pics as i is on my imac and i'm a clot and don't know how to screen shot, despite being told a couple of times)

Sam

Mega Ninja Edit, it was the Save button, which shows up fine in this post, but was labeled "Vote Now" in the iPhone 4g thread

13. Jamie

That's a bug in vbulletin, it's been around ever since we switched to this version of the software.

14. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Feedback button gone nice one :thumb:

15. whisperwolf

Just so you know with reference the search box and button, The Search button next to the box also vanishes from both main site and forum when viewed via default browser on a HTC hero, and using opera mini 5 beta on android it moves both box and button to line below the rest of the headers.

16. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

links dont change colour when you click on them? looks like i havent read anything o_O

17. [EOCF] Tim

[EOCF] Tim What's a Dremel?

The site has been ruined, it looks absolutely terrible. Why oh why.......

This is one of the very few sites I visit for daily news, reviews etc, and this honestly completely puts me off bit-tech alltogether. Very sad.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2010
  18. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Has the tag of the thread always been in the page's <title>?

e.g. "LOL Demotivational Posters", "Electronics Useful Links (Electronics)" etc. etc.

Weirdly, it doesn't seem to do it in the Article Discussion forum... is it a bug?

19. adk

adk What's a Dremel?

I like the new look - could ask for better scaling on wider screens.

The new bit-tech look is great. A big improvement. If I could change just one thing though, it would be to have it take advantage of the extra space available on wider screens. Being a tech-enthusiasts' site, many of your reader probably have screens wider than the 1024 pixels that the new layout seems tailored for.

If you make the main content column have a width of "*", rather than having the whole thing be a fixed width, you will save many of us from having to scroll as much. (Drastic oversimplification, I know.) I am aware that this would be a little more difficult, as the layout of stuff can change in weird ways as you scale - but it is only a little harder and worth the effort, IMHO.

Regardless, the new look still gets the thumbs up from me. :)

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Don't know about in the web browser thread title , but It's always been in the email notification thread title.