1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I had that with DP, it did say DP can't display/output that resolution. This is down to the 2d clocks reverting back to 157/300 once overclocked. Try running your card at default and see if you get that DP message, cause I haven't had it since, but I know it does show up now and again once overclocked.
    The only way to over come this is to use ATI RBE Bios editor, edit the clocks speed of the low profile from 157/300 0.950v to 400/1010 1.05v.
    Then reflash the card with the new clocks.
    This will stop the 2d clocks reverting back to the low profile clocks, which will prevent crashes/display error messages.
    This is a quick fix until they update/sort out the drivers, as this is a driver related issue and not Bios related.

Simon.

2. poo417

poo417 What's a Dremel?

It sadly makes no difference I get the message when I am starting a game. I can start BC2 and 2 or 3 times in a row and get the error. I no longer have stock speeds of 157/300 I only have 400/ 1010 now. I may just use RBE to up my memory voltage to oc it a bit more. I hope they get this sorted soon. The joys of new tech.

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I don't think you can get away with overclocking it using RBE over stock voltages. I tried setting the clocks at 850/1200 1.15v in the Bios editor. The flash went well but as soon as you get into windows you would get a BSOD. I think ATI have stopped any unofficial overclock in the BIO's.

I would uninstall and then reinstall BC2 and see if that helps you. I haven't had anymore problems with any of my games now.

Simon

4. JayPea

JayPea What's a Dremel?

Had to register to give my utmost thanks to true_gamer.

I'd been struggling with a black screen on cold boot (just after the W7 splash screen) that was inducing feelings of violence in me:wallbash:. Searched loads of forums for the past month and then came across his post with the latest Sapphire HD5970 beta BIOS.

After flashing and reinstalling ATI 10.4 drivers = No more black screen hang. As an added bonus, I can actually Sleep/Hibernate without the machine throwing a wobbler.

Thanks a bunch, matey, you made my month.:clap:

/bow

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm glad to have helped you out. :thumb:
    I was like you searching all over the web trying different Bios with no luck. That's why I got the latest Bios from Sapphire, I decided to post it up to help everyone else out with the same problems.

At least you can enjoy using your card now!!

Cheers,

Simon.

6. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Cheers mate you rock, any sign of the final BIOS?

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Not yet, I'm still awaiting a reply back.

As soon as they do get back to me, I will post it up.

Cheers,

Simon

8. jrdbuddy

jrdbuddy What's a Dremel?

I know a fix to this problem because I was getting blue screens as well. In RBE you need to change the voltage registers for the gpu and ram. When you change the clocks the voltage below in the drop down will show the old voltage but it still changes as required when flashed. Do NOT change the voltage below the clock changes or you'll get the BSOD, trust the register changes. Check voltages with GPU-z from tech power-up. My blue screens went away and voltages stuck.

Check this tutorial for screen pics.
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=1739618&postcount=34

9. jrdbuddy

5970 Nightmare

Thought I'd post my issues. Bought a Gigabyte 5970, added a XSPC Razor water block. Got instability "driver has failed/recovered" in 2d, immediate crashes in 3d. Updated with sapphire's beta BIOS posted in this thread which fixed 2d issues but not 3d. Gave up and RMA'd the Gigabyte. The replacement did all of the same things!!

Used Radeon BIOS Editor (RBE) from techpowerup and upped my 2d clocks to 400/900 @ 1v with an ASUS BIOS i downloaded. Now I can game and everything works, sorta. Then I noticed I get the gray screen of death GSOD from time to time....... I'm so close to giving up on this card and breaking it over my knee! My last effort will be to try the Sapphire BETA BIOS posted by True Gamer combined with the 400/900 2d clocks and see where it gets me. I'll post the results.

10. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

^ I had the same problems as you and the soloution you have sugessted kills the GSODs and is fantastic

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Thanks for the link. I did do what he done, but I changed all the voltages and clocks across 00-04 and got the BSOD.

I will try what he did with just adjusting the 00 clocks.

Cheers,

Simon.

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This should work for you. If it doesn't, then your card needs to be RMA.

Also when you installed your waterblock does your card have a 0.5mm step up on the VDDC chip or is it flat all the way across? Check my pics on page 1 to show you what I mean.

Cheers,

Simon.

13. jrdbuddy

Update to my 5970 troubles. All issues are solved! I thought for sure there was some hardware issue here and it would be hopeless. I'm not sure what Saphire did with this test BIOS but it fixed my GSOD, my original Gigabyte 5970 that I RMA'd was probably fine... Except both needed a 400/900 2d clock to run games and somehow fix games crashing.

True_Gamer, I do not have the 0.5mm step on the VDDC chip, it is flush. The Razor XSPC block I'm using is milled flat as well so it works out. Though I'd recommend against the Razor XSPC block if anyone plans extreme overclocks as it does not have liquid flowing over the VRM's. Mine get to 108c on Furmark burning mode with standard clocks/volts. I've got tons of photos documenting my 5970 adventure if anyone is interested.

Cheers everyone, this is a great thread! Saved me $800!

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm glad you got it working in the end!!:thumb:

You could always send me half of that $800 saving I saved you:D LOL.

Cheers,

Simon.

15. nehcnhoj

nehcnhoj What's a Dremel?

Hello, I've been searching for ages to find a fix to my Powercolor 5970.

Firstly I'd like to say im a complete noob in stuff relating to this so please bare with me.

This is the first thread I've found people having solid success with the freeze issues with the 5970, I believe my issue is also a cold boot as I usually have to turn on my computer, and restart it immediately after startup to make sure it doesn't crash.

My question here is, can I use sapphire's BIOS to fix my Powercolor card? Also, should I update to the latest 10.4ATI drivers?

Thank you so much.

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Hi, yes you can use the Sapphire Bios to flash your Powercolor card. Also I would update to 10.4 as they have gave me some stronger frame rates. 10.5 should be out soon!!
    Can now play Crysis maxed out with 2x AA 16xAF @2560x1600

Simon

17. nehcnhoj

Hi Simon, thanks for the quick reply.

As mentioned before, I'm rather bad at this. I don't quite understand the steps you said in your post to flash the bios.

I've created the dos boot USB stick. Is it alright if I just extract the 40.zip files and the 131.zip files into the usb stick and boot into dos and type "flash" on prompt like stated in the PPT step 14?

Please advise, thank you!

18. nehcnhoj

Oh but I noticed that both the 40.zip files and the 131.zip files do not containt the Windows Batch File "flash" as shown in step 8 of the PPT. Will the be an issue?

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

In zip 131. That contains both Bios. (Master, Slave) as stated by M or S in the text.
    So Extract and but these two files on your Dos ready usb stick.

Now zip 40. Extract it then Add atiflash.chg and atiflash to your usb stick. (Do not put them into folders.)

Now go to your Mobo Bios and set the first boot to your usb.

After Dos has load all you have to do is Add these two commands;

atiflash -p 0 C0001OCM.AC1 -f (make sure you type it as followed with the spaces)

Once it has successfully flashed the Master GPU you can now flash the Slave GPU

atiflash -p 1 C0001OCS.ACL -f (make sure you type it as followed with the spaces)

That's it.

Cheers,

Simon.

20. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

After a slight water cooling accident (I left my fans to really low so I can download/sleep then when I woke up I starting playing games and overclocking the card for hours with the fans at really really low RPM my water probably heated up around 90C. PVC tubing is rated for 70C and a portion lost grip to a fitting XD and water got everywhere. I hit the power switch really quick but luckily it was the pump so nothing got wet. After filling my loop again I fired the system up and noticed a leak over the graphics card so I hit the power switch again >_< to realise the high temps expanded the tubing that was over the barbs. I didn't have new tubing so I cut the part that was on the barbs put a cloth over my graphics card and booted up. Well it was still leaking, luckily I caught the water. It is new distilled water anyway so it shouldn't be conductive right???

So I managed to get it right, at this point water got on my card once or twice and I hit the power button on my PSU 3 times which is terrible for my hard drives. When I got my LC back on track, well my card wasn't really acting so tame. Drivers crashed and blue screened me after several hours of usage. After reinstalling the card and crashing drivers some more I was thinking it might be the BIOS. card. Its pretty easy to mess up memory chips. Mainly because I noticed it was taking the card like 10 seconds to display my mobo BIOS screen on boot. A couple seconds longer than usual.

So I flashed it according to these instructions and I definitely did it right but the flash probably failed or my PowerColor card didn't like the BIOS posted here since it didn't display anything on boot. Luckily I have a old 4870 to boot with and from there I used a windows based flash utility to reflash the card. Now my 5970 is revived and actually displays the BIOS screen almost instantly on boot, faster before this accident. It doesn't crash in 2D on standard clocks either which I had to force every time.

Can someone tell me if I am suppose to see 2x 5970 in device manager and CCC? because I am only seeing 1. If I recall, crossfire and SLI would show 2 display adapters in device manager but thie 5970 is a dual card and I don't spend time looking at my display drivers under device manager lol. I am not using a second monitor so it isn't that bad. At least MSI afterburner and Furmark is detecting the second GPU usage and Catalyst AI in on so im definitely getting the second core.

Last edited: 25 May 2010