1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte has the POW-ERRR! Via USB.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

It's nice to see USB catching up somewhat with Firewire in the available power department :)

Still not sure about having USB as some kind of universal charging connector, though.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

how does the shut-off power thing work? would PSU be still turned on?

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Dumb dumb dumb. They're messing with the specs and it's only going to end in tears. You know Chinese knockoff manufacturers won't implement things properly and stuff's going to get burnt out.

The USB 3 spec should have just been designed with 2.5A as the maximum power it can supply. Then all these high draw appliances should either charge through a USB 3 port or flash a message saying it can't charge (i.e. for backwards compatability with USB 2) and have to be plugged in with a nice standardised barrel jack. We'd all upgrade to USB 3 sooner than the 2 bloody years it's going to take for rollout and everyone would be happy.

Stupid manufacturers each with proprietary versions of "standard" connectors.. ****ing arseholes... I need to go for a walk.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Why do you keep
    scratching things out
    writing awesome articles?

6. xalek

xalek What's a Dremel?

Errm... "With recent its motherboards" should read "With its recent motherboards"...

7. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

With the boost in power that USB3 gives us, can we expect to see any 3.5" external drives that don't require a power brick any time soon? The current 2.5" USB powered ones are okay, but they just don't have the capacity I need.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2010
  8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

You don't have to be sure - the industry has already decided for you.

9. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I meant more from a practical standpoint. Look at the iPad requiring a non-standard 'USB' port for charging as an example. Devices like that depend on non-standard implementations of USB host ports. Combined with announcements like the one referred to in this topic, it makes me fear that USB may soon stop to be the 'universal serial bus' it once was.

Of course, the iPad and such suck for not being able to trickle-charge from standard USB ports.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Best article ever! :D

11. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

I wonder if the power of greyskull on these USB ports is more likely to burn an improperly removed pendrive.
    As far as I'm concerned, more power to the people is never good. :p

12. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

All the time the PC is plugged in to the mains and has power going to it the PSU it technically always on. When you press the power button on your case this creates a connection on your motherboard that tells it to power up.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

cheers, lol.

but im asking since if you have 2 USB3 devices connected each drawing 2.7A of power, that's way over the 5Vstb current spec on most power supplies. that means the PSU will has to be fully operational for 5v rail to be able to deliver power.

i agree with most comments here, out of spec hardware should not exist. especially considering USB 2.0 shouldn't provide 500mA on plugging in, the hardware has to ask for it, otherwise it's only 150mA.

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that's just the standby voltage though.. would mean you can't use wake on usb devices

edit- well actually you could.. the devices won't be pulling much of anything at idle

15. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Is the USB next door to the the USA?

16. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Years ago I started a computer project which saw a mini-ITX board, screen, keyboard and trackpad mouse squeezed into an aluminium flight case. I designed the USB ports so that power was supplied directly from a separate PSU, therefore allowing several amps of current to power things like custom computer interfaces etc. I could also programatically switch off power to certain ports, as well as keep the power live when the rest of the computer was shut down.
    This idea from Gigabyte is pretty much the same (more power, and power present when machine switched off) so it's not really a new idea at all. I'm sure there's been countless people before me that've wired a higher current power source directly to their USB ports for charging and powering things.

dark_avenger likes this.
  17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

^+1 rep for pro modding

18. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

More pics that can enlarge pleasethankyou!!

Gigabyte are definitely my mobo manufacturer of choice atm.

19. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

I lol'd - I shouldn't have, but I did!

20. FreQ

FreQ What's a Dremel?

What 9000!?! :D

Tags: Add Tags