1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low PPD on 9800 GX2?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Bork_Bork, 24 Mar 2010.

1. Bork_Bork

Bork_Bork What's a Dremel?

I have transfered my 2 x 9800 GX2's to a MSI 790FX-GD70 with a very well ventilated case but I have noticed that PPD is usually around 3300 with 353 pointers only getting 4000-4100.

I've also gone from Vista to XP, drivers are 196.21 from 11.01.10.

I'm wondering if it is the drivers, the projects I'm getting or something else?

Has anyone else had similar results?

I was looking to see if I could export my benchmarks from Fahmon/HFM but couldn't see an option to do so.

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

With that sort of ppd it sounds like both clients are running on the same GPU. Are you sure the machineid's and gpuid's are set up correctly?

3. Bork_Bork

The shortcuts seem OK, I followed the bit-tech folding guide.

GPU 1:

Target - "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -local -gpu 0

Start in - "C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu"

GPU 2:

Target - "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -local -gpu 1

Start in - "C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu2"

GPU 3:

Target - "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -local -gpu 2

Start in - "C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu3"

GPU 4 is not used as it died. :(

Machine IDs are 2,4 & 6.

CPU is not folding so that can be ruled out.

4. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I got one 9800GX2 running in a Q6600 system and I have to use WinAFC to keep things from interfering with each other. What are you using this system for except folding?

5. Bork_Bork

The system is just for folding, the only other things it runs are EVGA precision for the fan control and HFM for monitoring.

6. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Not sure if this will work for you but i had something similar when i copied over the folding folder when installing a second GPU, i just deleted the work folder, files and Queue file from the second folding folder and let it all re-create new when you started to fold again.

7. Bork_Bork

Iv'e bought this home to sort it out, I searched for this thread the other day and realised I hadn't touched it for a month due to being busy at work. Hopefully I'll be able to get it working for the Chimp's Challenge.

I've put the fully working 9800 GX2 back into my Vista PC and it is producing 9200 PPD on a 783 & 548 projects. Will have to start from scratch with the 790FX-GD70 machine.

Last edited: 2 May 2010
  8. paddi70

paddi70 What's a Dremel?

Mr Bork_Bork, how do you keep that lot cool, my GX2s' GPU1 hits 104. I'm only running on 3 GPUs of my 2 GX2s'.

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

@105c the card will be thermally throttling (room must be to warm)

10. paddi70

paddi70 What's a Dremel?

Well, Ive managed to get a couple of cheap waterblocks, so going to set up WC rig.