1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Splinter Cell Conviction

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DaveVader, 3 May 2010.

1. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

So, who has bought this, on any Platform?

I've always been a HUGE fan of the Splinter Cell series and have played through all four previous games again recently (we wont mention Double Agent too much) and so have just ordered Conviction.
    I honestly cannot wait for it to arrive. It's nice to see that Bit-tech gave it a good review too!

It looks to be quite a refreshing change to the Splinter Cell series and I love how the story has really progressed and gotten more personal for Sam Fisher. He seems to have aged well as well.
    It seems a lot more fast paced and has had a revamp of some of the moves, I've seen the split jump has disappeared but it does have the neat new feature of mark and execute.

It appears to be more raw and back to basics than ever before and I can't wait to play through it.

Enough of me babbling, who else is as excited as I am?

edit: whoops obsessed?

Last edited: 3 May 2010
  2. October

October Mariachi Style

lol @ expecting to be finished Double Agent by the end of August and then only having a month to wait for conviction :lol:

Anywho... Chaos Theory's the only one I've played to date, and I absolutely freaking loved it. Played the demo of the first one but it seemed waaaay too restrictive for me, far too many ways to fail a mission for no good reason. PT wouldn't work for some reason for me, maybe need to try it again on the current rig. Double Agent is sitting in my Steam list waiting to be played.

It seems like they've changed a lot from Chaos Theory but I'm pretty near certain to get it anyway, if only for the Ghost Recon beta access... Now THAT is an entirely awesome Tom Clancy series :thumb:

3. DaveVader

Chaos Theory was one of the best.
    The first one was probably my favourite but that's probably for nostalgia reasons.
    Pandora Tomorrow was neither here nor there for me.
    And Double Agent, well, I play it so I know the whole four game first hand, I only played it for the story and to be able to say "yeah, I've completed the whole series"

As you said, it has changed a lot... Sam has gotten younger by the look of it.
    It isn't a case of do-this-because-the-person-in-your-ear-is-telling-you-to type of game play, it has a lot more in the form of a story.
    I've been watching videos like a madman but there doesn't seem to be an extensive amount of coverage for it :(

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i've only played the first one completely, all other games are just bits here and there.

but i can safely say this new game, although less stealth, is really, really fun. feels like MGS where stealth is preferred, but if you get discovered, you can still hold your own if you find a good cover and they can't flank you.

5. DaveVader

Ahhh, it's been dispatched! Can't wait.

The MGS games were tip top so thats a positive thing!

6. DRC™

DRC™ What's a Dremel?

I played Chaos Theory competitively on the Playstation 2 on first release, came around 5th on the rankings I think, was quite proud of myself. :)

I'm highly considering buying this for PC, but I'm not sure? I've heard there's no mercenary vs spy type game play in Splinter Cell anymore? I'm not one for throughly enjoying single player, especially once I've completed it.

So, anyone who is playing this at the moment have any information, for and against of the new multi-player features?

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Apparently it only has a 5 hour campaign.
    I know there's co-op, but I don't like having to rely on other people :worried:

I'll give it a few months I think.
    :sigh:

8. DaveVader

It arrived today :D

Except I have so much to do before I can play it.
    Work, gym, clan training on BC2, sort out the suspension on the car after lowering it... PLAY!

9. DaveVader

Well... I've completed it!
    Epic, short (and I was on the hardest difficulty) but epic.
    Going to complete all the challenges now!
    The ending was good, was all kinda predictable but it was good.

10. poollard

poollard What's a Dremel?

nice one is it worth buying then?

11. DaveVader

If you're a big fan of the series then yes, but if you just enjoy the games and want to play it, wait until it is cheaper.
    Definitely fun and got a lot more to do with the challenges, playing online etc. etc.

12. line2008

line2008 What is this "dremel" you speak of?

this is the first game I've played in the splinter cell series, I'm only about 2hrs in on the campaign and playing on realist difficulty, finished all the deniable ops on realist and it was brilliant, every time i load up the game I find myself going back to deniable ops again and again

13. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Deniable Ops is like Terrorist Hunt from R6. It's video game crack I tell you.

14. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Not me because of the stupid, pathetic, and frankly sh*tty DRM included, the same one as Assassins Creed II!!!!! I have played it though just not going to buy it on pc when pirates get away with playing what they want when they want without all the restrictions imposed on legit customers!

I buy all games I want to play but not when forced to do 9 billion different things before I can even play the damn game!

I might buy it on 360 or PS3 instead.

15. DaveVader

Everyone complains about DRM but apart from the extra hoops to jump through, I've never had any problems.

16. pimonserry

QFT

Although, when people too lazy to buy ACII decided to attack the DRM servers (I can think of no reason other than they are d***heads) I couldn't play ACII for about about half an hour. Other than that, no bad experiences, and the DRM servers have increased security now I think.

17. Ravenheart

Yes they do for good reason! Why should me or anyone need a PERMANENT internet connection just to play a game? I mean come on for christs sake, what if I move home and won't have internet for a week or more, it means I wouldn't be able to play the game for that week! Why the **** should I miss out being able to play the game just because of the DRM (Draconian Rights Management), I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IF IT WASN'T FOR THE DRM! but just because I don't have a permanent internet connection, what god given right do them stupid ****s at Ubisoft have to say sorry if you don't have internet you CAN'T play the game you forked out your hard earned cash for........ I'll tell you shall I, they have no ****ing right.........

And yes I do feel that passionate about it (many others do as well) and no I don't agree with people attacking the DRM servers but how can you call people too lazy (the dickheads are the ones who attacked the servers!) just because they didn't buy the game Pimonserry? How is it laziness, they have a choice and if they choose not to put up with that ****ed up DRM then that's their choice, nothing to do with laziness!

18. DaveVader

Hmm, alright, calm down. It's always nice to hear other points of view but a little less ... animated.
    I agree that having to have a permanent internet connection to play is a little (read: lot) stupid and this way of preventing pirates is really getting out of hand.
    But, like I said, I've never really had any problems with it.
    I think calling it laziness is maybe a good description. Will you jump through hoops to run a game or just get it on console because you can't be bothered with the PC version.
    To me, that's laziness.

19. pimonserry

Well laziness just seemed like a good word at the time.

It's incredibly dickish to ruin the game experience for everyone by attacking the DRM servers they have a moral issue with and stopping the people who did buy it from playing.

Another point: if they had introduced this DRM a few years ago, there would be massive outrage. Now though, there's still outrage, even though a significant amount of gamers will already have permanent internet connections prior to even considering buying the game.

And yes, the game has been cracked now (I just took a quick look at TPB), but according to the comments it's certainly not 100%, and yet the game I paid for (with always-connected DRM) worked from the off apart from when frustrated pirates downed the servers.

Edit: by the way it's now down to £18 at base.com (found thru find-games.co.uk), I've just ordered it :)

Last edited: 11 May 2010
  20. Ravenheart

Right,

Don't even start with telling me to calm down :eyebrow:.

Like you've said having to have a permanent internet connection to play is stupid, END OF.

And laziness isn't a good description at all, why should I (or anybody) have to jump through hoops to run a game, simple answer is we shouldn't END OF.

You could say why do console users get to play it without having to jump through hoops, but we all know why (yeah like console games never get pirated do they) lol, now back to the laziness comment, it's not laziness at all, I want to be able to put a disc in (whether it be pc or console) and be able to play, how is that lazy? And why should I have that option taken away from me, I would have been a legit user FFS! But because of the pathetic DRM they lost me AND thousands/probably millions of customers by penalizing the legit customers and letting the pirates get away with everything, funny thing is Splinter Cell Conviction (which uses the same DRM as AC II) got cracked wayyyy faster than AC II because the pirates now know what to do! But you can bet legit users will still get penalized which is bang out of order.

Bottom line is,

Legit users = Penalized, can't play the game without PERM internet connection, get kicked out the game the second your connection drops!

Pirates = NEVER penalized, can play the game whenever they want, never get kicked out the game EVER!

I think we have a clear winner!

I will never support piracy but on the same token I will never support a game company that forces me to have things I shouldn't need to play a game and a company that if I don't have these things boots me out the game the second one of the requirements has a drop in connection!

My other half has AC II on 360 (I would have still bought it on pc) if it hadn't been for the DRM, you saying my partner is lazy for playing it on a 360 instead of a pc then? Choose your words carefully :geek:

Oh and rumours are that the game does work 100% now Pimonserry so obviously TPB is outdated and doesn't know everything.....

And you know what, it doesn't matter if a significant amount of people have/already had a permanent internet connection prior to even considering buying the game, they shouldn't need to have a permanent connection! That's the issue here and look the fact is their is no such thing as a 'permanent' connection as ALL connections will drop hundreds of times and their is not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

By the way your going on about the pirates attacking the DRM servers (aka preaching to me about it again) did I not already tell you I DON'T agree with them doing that!

As for it being £18 now, I don't care if it's £18 or 18 pence I won't be spending a penny on the stupid thing based on how strongly I feel at how legit users get penalized when they haven't done anything wrong.

Also I'm sorry if I'm passionate about this but it's tough, live with it as I'm not the only one.