1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Thoughts on Cheats and Walkthroughs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 5 May 2010.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If a Game is worth bothering with to the point where you can forgive it for frustrating you at times then its worth it to play without walkthroughs or cheats, like for example System Shock, but for some games like for example Far Cry which was not much more than a tech demo whats the point of getting frustrated? godmode Cheesecake in such games.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

=E cheated in multiplayer plenty back in old cs days- it's pretty fun to rage people sometimes.. in the online leagues all the guys at the top are cheaters

we used to catch them all the time.. so we'd have to turn on wall hacks to compete- pretty sad all the online leagues at the time were a joke.. and I even heard stories at lans where some programmers got away with cheating using their own apps

usually didn't cheat but mainly used to jerk around peeps I knew for fun.. one guy in a really old clan was in couldn't take a joke too well- I trojaned my buddy and then left the server XD I could see everything he could by taking 5 second screenshots

so sent commands to the games console like 'say "huck you red headed *******"' and it would come from my buddies mouth.. of course it's not right but funny as hell

3. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I don't cheat much at all, just finished the tales of monkey island without help, my girlfriend finished it ages ago but she used a walk through on each episode. The best cheat I can remember was monty on the run on the c64, you'd type your name as 'i want to cheat' on the high scores and the game would say 'yes boss' and it gave you no-clip so you could run through all the ghosts :D That game was impossible to beat without it, I don't know of anyone that completed it without the cheat

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

This is like a help class;
    -Hi, i'm Adrian and i cheated.
    -(chorus) Hi Adrian.

Anyway, Turok on the 64. The 5 levels on that were daft-silly long. I got lost even with a walk through.

5. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I refuse to cheat in multiplayer games to gain advantage, but I have played on a private server with friends and cheats enabled to have some random fun. It was hilarious playing L4D and spawning random tanks inside safe rooms.

Single player, I avoid cheating. If I'm playing a game and I'm well and truly stuck, then I'll consult a walkthrough to get some tips. Last time I did that was with Portal.

6. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Like most i agree about SP and MP games etc.
    Although i'd say i try not to use cheats/trainers., i havn't used them for years now, i always feel like the challenge has gone.

Although sometimes i do/have look through guides and found stuff i havn't seen on my first play through.

7. Helenius

Helenius What's a Dremel?

I recently used a walkthrough in Valkyria Chronicles, simply because I couldn't figure out a boss fight, after 8 tries each taking roughly 1hour++

I used to use alot of cheats after i finished games, like Diablo 2, Doom 2, GTA etc etc

But now every game has multiplayer after you finish the game. So cheating have bigger concequences, and you might end up with alot of guilt if yoy decide to cheat.(Atleast I would)

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Yup...not getting any decent handbooks with bought games and also the lack of proper tutorials at the start of many games also makes it more or less necessary to not , as you point out "Miss the best bits"

Again, Walkthroughts replace handbooks that should come with the game.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I cheat in certain games, mostly.

Postal 2, Devastation, Painkiller. Outrageous FPS games that are mostly a single player, over the top experience that, in my opinion, are far more entertaining when you're wandering around with a diseased cow head.

I won't lie and say I've never cheated in other games. I have. GTA games, Half Life 2, AOE2, RoN: Thrones and Patriots, Crysis/Warhead, and a couple of others I've probably forgotten over time.

As for cheating online, I could certainly live with seeing that go.. Elsewhere. It unbalances what is often a carefully balanced game, and often ruins the experience for everyone else on that server, or who encounters that player anywhere else. I can see the reason people do it. The "need" to be the best, no matter the cost. It's absolutely stupid, though, to cheat to get there, but I can see what drives them to it.

10. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Agreed. Like others I've cheated or referred to a walkthrough on single player games when I've got stuck or to check out things I've missed first time through. However, I never felt the need to do so with either of the Baldur's Gate games and it might have something to do with the tome received by way of a manual and character creation guide, full details given on classes, stats, spells etc as well as the combat system explained without you having to learn the hard way.

11. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I cheat sometimes. I use the health cheat in GTA IV when I can't be bothered to do it proper way.

And I occasionally used a walkthrough for Half Life 2 when I got stuck on a physics puzzle.

12. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

I use walkthroughs to help 100% games on the xbox, just for the achievements. And cheats in GTA games are always fun.

13. aussiebear

aussiebear What's a Dremel?

When I used to play games; I play the whole game through once.

...Then I play it again with cheats to explore the funny things you can do.

14. Iorek

Iorek What's a Dremel?

I can't say I'm a fan of walkthroughs and definitely not cheat codes.

However I have to say I've had to use a walkthrough occasionally when I've just not seen what I've been suppose to do after ages of wandering around certain rooms on some games, only to find I missed a trigger on an object or something tiny.

15. deadlyavenger

deadlyavenger What's a Dremel?

I think that cheating in multiplayer games is totally unacceptable as you're ruining the game for other people who want to play by the rules.

Cheating in single player games is generally ok - it's up to you if you want to cheat.

Sometimes I cheat if I'm stuck on a level/part of a game and can't get past it, just whip god-mode on and you can get past it.

It's also quite fun in some games for dicking around - more like a sandbox than playing by the developers specific rules.

16. Iorek

Iorek What's a Dremel?

Cheating in multiplayer is unacceptable, yeah. I've come across it and it does ruin games completely when its obvious someone is cheating - no matter what protection exists people will try to find ways around it to gain unfair advantages.

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

kinda mixed on the whole cheating thing online.. cause if you've ever used a wallhack, you'd see how much of a learning tool it actually is.. you can see other peoples strategies on maps and even with the hack off you still have his assassins creed eagle vision going on XD no other way to describe it

gives you the esp sooner- if that makes any sense.. sure some here know what I mean ;)

auto aim has always been lame though.. that's more a rage tool and people who claim they're legit using it are pretty weak

18. Iorek

Iorek What's a Dremel?

I think wall hacks are a huge cheat online - it gives you so much of an advantage knowing someone is 'round the corner', rahter than having to just rely on reactions you can plan ahead more.

I see your point on maybe it being a learning tool, but you can get that by watching as a spectator anyway?

19. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

For my first ever "real game" which was Final Fantasy 7, I didn't use any walk throughs the first time I played it but when I played it the second time I wanted to get everything I could and unlock all the characters, etc so I used guides to help me accomplish that. That way not only did I get to explore the game myself I can claim I have got everything in the game as well :p

20. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I used to cheat as a kid, on things like the Sims and other crap titles I loved at the time.

But then I got old, turned in to what a lot of people would call a "hardcore" gamer, and ever since then I hate even using walkthroughs. For me, games are about immersion, escapism and feeling like you are someone else doing something extraordinary, writing your own story, which is why western RPGs appeal to me so much.

While a lot of this has to do with the writing, the graphics, the sound and the atmosphere, a lot of it also has to do with the challenge; it feels real. I can really get in to COD or CSS and the like, because every bullet really is deadly. You feel like you could die any minute. Watch out for ammo. Check your back. ****, KNIFE!

The graphics are good enough to look reasonably life like (enough that is needed anyway), and the sounds do an excellent job of pulling you in.

And this is why I hate cheats; they break immersion. Sure, I don't need an epic like Mass Effect to enjoy a game, it can still be "fun" without the immersion, but cheating on a game like Just Cause of GTA just lowers the fun down in to a form of gaming I don't like. It's silly, stupid, and you have achieved nothing. It's like why most people bought the Wii; "Oh snap, BOWLING! TENNIS! And I move my controller!" Sure, its fun, especially with friends, but it isn't how I would spend my real gaming time, definitely not.

Of course, this is just how I see it. I like to achieve something in games. My little brother glitches Nazi Zombies all the time, saying that he has to in order to do well, because everyone does. And it's boring as **** watching, sat in some safe place shooting zombies, running out of ammo, lying there... lying there.. Honestly, I would just never touch it if Treyarch weren't punishing those people.

But, at the end of the day, what do I care. People are free to enjy games how they want.

Oh, and walkthroughs are fine so long as you really are stuck. As if I'm going to force myself to not look, and just sit there for another hour trying to figure out something that is, nine times out of ten, something stupid that I have missed or the like. Reading a walkthrough doesn't affect skill in any (unfair at least) way, so why the hell not.

Tags: Add Tags