1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC Hardware Buyer's Guide May 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 7 May 2010.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Another question.

If I don't overclock (apart from standart turboboost).
    Would the "Gaming Workhorse" with an upgrade to a HD5870 beat the "Premium Player" when gaming?

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Operational headroom - a good, solid PSU is a solid foundation to build your PC on.

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I'd love a SFF section to be added to the Hardware Buyer's guide.

4. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Also most PSUs have their best efficiency at about 65% I think, so it will be highly efficient most of the time

5. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

+1
    Ok, seriously, I love Bit-Tech, really I do. But how long are we going to have to keep harping on this? I'm willing to bet one of my children that you have more readers interested in an HTPC build than you do a folding rig. ADD AN HTPC BUILD IN. And if it becomes a choice between an HTPC build and a Folding Rig because of time/cost restraints for Bit-Tech, drop the Folding Rig. Or at least give your readers a poll to decide which they would rather see. I could accept defeat that way.:waah:

6. Teh C

Teh C Arg

I really don't see the need for the high wattage psus on radeon 5xxx series builds. Those cards and those processors will never use that amount of power. 750w for an i7 930 (which should really be a 920 d0 as you can still find those everywhere) and a 5870? Please, you could run that build on a 600w psu.

+1 to a HTPC build. Far more people are interested in that than a folding build for sure.

7. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

SFF??

The builds seem to be for someone who's building a new one. How about adding an upgrade section to the hardware buyer's guide as well?

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Yup, less folding rig (who's got a server farm at home) more htpc and/or SFF.
    Especially considering the amount of mATX and µATX boards you test

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Ohhh I do like the idea of a sff build. I'll deffo petition to add it in next time out.

10. isaac12345

whats sff???

11. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

920 D0 is EOL - 930 is not.

That's the difference. It's akin to them recommending something that is now NOT produced, and whatever stock's that is left is the last stock. Which isn't really smart.

12. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

The 930 is slightly faster at stock speed thanks to a small increase in clock speed. The main reason we've recommended it is that we've found it to overclock better than the 920 D0 stepping too. We can only comment on our own findings though but we've played with several examples and the results were similar.

13. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Small Form Factor - Think mATX and smaller

14. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I don't see any reason for telling people how to build a 'folding' pc every month. Personally I can't see any reason to build a computer just to run folding at home, sure it contributes to medical research but it can be run on any pc more or less. You would need to be epically sad if the reason was just to gain more 'points' than somebody else...

Ditch it and go with HTPC since that is clearly what people want to read.

15. isaac12345

Thanks! such a section could be very useful.

16. trig

trig god's little mistake

i guess adding up USD is harder than adding the pound. 4 of the 5 totals for us rigs were wrong lol. and the premium rig doesnt even get a case i guess. :)

17. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

What about a guide to the best mouse, keyboard, mousepad, headsets and monitors for each rig hein? Just saying

18. Blackie Chan

Blackie Chan What's a Dremel?

I always favor the GFX card higher than the CPU, I would go for a quad core AMD and the 5870

19. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Also Newegg has the samsung drives for 74.99 with free shipping right now. I got two more to have 4 F3's and an F1.

20. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

just wanted to state that I have the exact build of the '"gaming workhorse" but I'm using a western digital 1tb caviar black (which is slightly faster in real world scenarios)

anyways it's a great system for anyone who wants to build it and I can run everything at HD resolutions with absolutely no hickups.

Tags: Add Tags