1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Corsair H50 - worth the money?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cleggmeister, 22 Apr 2010.

1. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i got an domino A.L.C see how it fares, in my room that can get an little warm it only just handles it at 2200-2400 RPM and temps are an little warm at just under 78c (ALC set to Med auto temp setting on the cooler at water temp of 40-41 the fan is at full speed) gets an little noisy

2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Hate to wade in with this, mate, but you've got an Akasa Nero. You've already spent £25 on aftermarket cooling, and honestly, for what you're planning, it's good enough. More than enough, in fact. I could get 4GHz to boot and play games for an hour on a C0 i7-920 before I worried about temps, and 3.8 was rock-solid. At that speed, the noise wasn't too bad - still had all fans on medium (Antec 1200), but not bad.

You should try getting the 3.6GHz overclock with the Nero, come back and report to us with your temps etc, and then we can advise you if it's worth the extra £60.

3. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to make a similar decision so I'll throw my conundrum into the pot too.

I'm running a i7 920 at 3.5Ghz with 100% load temps ~69-71 using the old favourite Titan Fenrir. I could probably push it further to 3.8ghz but im happy with what I got at the moment.
    If I got the H50 i would certianly push the overclock otherwise I doubt I would see much difference in temps

From what I've read about the H50, If i were to buy it, I would of course use it as an intake, ideally with Push/Pull however I'm unsure if it would work in my current case - Antec 902
    I thought about mounting it underneath the roof intake fan, or more ideally between one of the drive bays and the front intake fan.
    Has anyone got any experience of using a H50 in this case? It seems unlikely that it would reach.....

Another point which MaverickWill has already pointed out is that I've already spent £30 or so on an aftermarket cooler and another £50 on the H50 for minimal improvements might not be worth it.
    Noise levels would hopefully be improved tho...

4. AsubstanceD

AsubstanceD What's a Dremel?

+1 on the H50. Not only is it really cool, but it is very quiet when coupled with a good fan. I can't believe how quiet my PC is now after getting this and some gentle typhoon fans.

5. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Speaking out of experience, the best combinations with H50 are Gentle typhoons or Sharkoon fans

6. Davzyii

Davzyii What's a Dremel?

I was thinking of getting a Corsair H50. I cannot use most large air coolers as I have a thermaltake level 10 case (got it as a gift. Lucky me XD.) but I was wondering whether if it is worth getting it seeing as I will only be able to use it as over the exhaust as I also have a 5970 and it would not fit with the radiator in front of the intake fan.

Any help would be appreciated.

7. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

the 902 uses the same HDD cages as the 1200, so you could use the additional graphics card bracket. cut off the posts that hold the fan and then drill through them to the other side. then put in a fan and bolt through it, the fan bracket into the H50 rad. attach another fan on the back if necessary, then mount in case.

mind you, this setup will dump hot air into the case. i would recommend mounting the rad on the rear exhaust fan, but as an exhaust, not an intake. done that before and it works quite well.

i would recommend taking off the stock antec exhaust fan and running the H50 in a dual fan mode, with Silent Eagle SE's with a PWM splitter cable, or Scythe GTs with a 3pin splitter cable

8. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

I would say it depends on what people consider too high temperatures. Personally, if you want to hit the 3.8 - 4.0 mark, i'd definitely recommend getting the H50 as its the closest performance wise to proper watercooling.

9. Captain.Ab

Captain.Ab [Title goes here]

Personally, I would highly recommend the NH-D14. I'm running my Core i5 750 at 4GHz with 1.384V and getting MAX core temp of 68C after over 6 hours of prime95. Where I live, the price difference is only about 15 dollars (if we convert the currency) and from my understanding there is quite a significant performance difference. However, you have to be 100% sure that your case is wide enough to fit the HUGE heatsink and its 2 fans and that you have short enough RAM modules as at least one of them will be under the cooler. I actually had to remove my case fan on the side in order to close the case. The fans that are supplied are very quiet tho.

And if you wanna get it because its a "watercooler" then i would instead go all out with a custom watercooling system as they are more effective and look so much cooler :p

Last edited: 9 May 2010
  10. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Another +1 for the H50. not only is it great cooling but it looks really cool also. I'm well pleased with mine.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Another happy H50 owner here.

Just recently pushed my i7 920 (C0) up to 3.8ghz (~1.33125 Vcore) and its now rock solid stable. Oddly I need a lower voltage to hit 3.8 than I did to hit 3.6 but I think this is due to a combination of; spending a few hours getting it rock solid stable and using the Load line calibration to improve vdroop.

Highest temperature I saw on a 8 core 100% load OCCT stress test was 68 degrees with a 25 degree ambient temperature (case fans low, H50 fan 100% - single push intake).

Overall I am very pleased with it. I only paid £54 which at the time was cheaper than a True with decent fan. I would love to see a H100 at some point with a 240mm raidiator. It would be interesting to see if the temperatures could be improved any further.