1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks a decent gaming 14" laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mriggy, 10 May 2010.

1. mriggy

mriggy What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I've done some research and so far I've came up with Sony Z series being the best laptop with it's Nvidia GT330M card. Does anyone else know any good laptops that are about 14", again please nothing bigger than 14"? I just want a powerful laptop that will last me for a long while and allow me to play an occasional game.

Thanks

2. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

That might be hard, 14" laptops don't leave much room for a good graphics card. I will have a look around but i doubt i will find anything.

3. mriggy

mriggy What's a Dremel?

I appreciate the quick response and for taking a look, thank you. My main thing with upgrading to a new laptop was able to run virtualization and have a good graphics card. I realize that the size limits the graphics card in the laptop but I would just like to find the best graphics card within the 14" laptop market. So far Sony Z series is the best I could find but I just wanted to be sure there isn't anything better.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

cant you push to 15" it would give you more choice a hell of a lot more choice in fact

5. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

6. Kyndylan

Kyndylan What's a Dremel?

7. mriggy

mriggy What's a Dremel?

15" would give me a lot more choice without a doubt. The main purpose I'm going for 14" is portability. I would occasionally like to do gaming.

I checked out the MSI and correct me if I'm wrong please but isn't NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M better than Radeon HD5470?

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Correct.

Only other one that comes to mind is the Alienware M11x, with a GT335M gfx card.

I have a Sony Vaio CW2 Z1E with a GT330M gfx card in and it plays Dirt2 with all the valves turned on smooth enough. The lesser resolution of the screen obviously helps (1366x768). Got mine for a good price off ebay.

An equivalent ATi card is around the HD5650-mark.

Nice Asus
    Nice Acer

Last edited: 10 May 2010
  9. adam_bagpuss

yes alot better, 3Dmark 06 scores

GT330 = 6033
    5470 = 3606

i know there benchies but good indication of raw power

10. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

The 330M is better but £2400 is a lot for a laptop. The msi isnt out in the UK yet but is selling for only $700

11. mriggy

mriggy What's a Dremel?

2k USD is a lot for a laptop but the way I figure it will last me for good 4 years(hopefully) and it's able to support 1080p videos which I think MSI would not be able to handle. I might be wrong though.

Also the laptop has an HDMI port which by looking at the specs the MSI does not.

12. mriggy

mriggy What's a Dremel?

The CW is a really awesome laptop and if i wasn't obssessed about the video card I would definitely consider it. On sony's site for some reason they put as the series having GeForce® 310M GPU as their top card for that model. I wonder why :(.

13. adam_bagpuss

any dedicated GPU will handle 1080p video no problem

2k USD is quite alot for mediocre game performance. if you switch to 15" the price would come down copnsiderably while still remaining mobile.

there really isnt much diff betwee 14" and 15" except cost and 1" of screen

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It says GT330M on there?!

I made the terrible mistake of getting a laptop with a GT310M card in and it was about 2% faster than my then Dell, which had an 8600M GT card in.

Btw, in case you missed them:
    Nice Asus
    Nice Acer

15. mriggy

mriggy What's a Dremel?

Sony.co.uk has the 330M in it but sonystyle.com which is where i'm redirected if i type in sony.com has the cw model with the 310 card :). Thats pretty interesting.

16. mriggy

mriggy What's a Dremel?

You do have a great point there Adam. What would you recommend for a smallest 15" laptop? My price range being around 2.5K USD.

ps. a ton of thanks for all of the advice :)

17. adam_bagpuss

18. mriggy

mriggy What's a Dremel?

The Asus G51JX-X2 does look like a great laptop but looking at my current 15.6 inch screen I am just reminded by hauling this wonderful beast around. The CW 14" does look really good but the 330M model is only in UK for some reason :(.

19. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

Screen size matters but, in my view, overall thickness and weight matter more.

Weight obviously affects how noticeable it is to carry around but a thin laptop really gives the impression of portability.

What games do you want to play? In truth, if you only want to play the occasional game, anything with a dedicated graphics card would do. Another matter if you wanted to play Crysis :)

20. mriggy

mriggy What's a Dremel?

I'm not a big crysis fan, frankly I love rts more. I would love to play starcraft 2 or anything else in the future(next 4 years) within a medium setting maybe.