1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Is it a monitor, or is it a TV?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 10 May 2010.

1. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

No it'd still need a means to pick up a TV signal, whether this be a UHF tuner module or a freeview decoder, for it to be classed as a TV. It can have all the scart sockets it wants, it won't make it a telly.

2. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I'm sorry but has no one heard of the L shaped HDMI cables? They are made so that you can plug in to back facing HDMI sockets and still push the thing up against a wall or use a VESA mount.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/192000
    This one even has a 180 degree movable joint.

4. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

+1. I missed a boat, hell I didn't know there was a harbor.

5. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

90 degree + HDMI->DVI, and the not problem problem is solved.

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

The issue is, the dongle should have came with it, or it shouldn't require a dongle at all.

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

It's the assumption that Bit - tech readers would find it a problem and to add to that even for the times that the author is right, it would be better to say hey look just buy one of these (add link) =>

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1m-Scan-CDLHD-901-HDMI-cable-with-swivel-ends-v13B-Spec

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Scan...r-Changer-90-Degrees-(Check-the-Top-Connector)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Scan...-Changer-270-Degrees-(Check-the-Top-Connector)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/18m-Scan-CDLHD-902-HDMI-cable-with-swivel-ends-v13B-Spec

The best part is all of the mentioned cables are under a tenner, so they are cheaper then store bought ones. (I think there is even a "gold plated" one in there too.

Please consider solutions instead of just complaining. It is much more helpful, especially since many Monitors/TVs have this "problem"

8. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I got myself an LG LH400032 which is really fantastic in fulfilling a similar role. 1080p and cost me £400. I spent several weeks researching into it last year and this was the best bet at the time vs the competition and colour reproduction / refresh rate.

At LANs everyone says they want one, even sitting next to my friend with his £1000+ Dell 2007WFP.

Also I use a DVI -> HDMI cable. You can get 90 degree angled connectors but I don't use any (my TV actually has a cable tidy loop for 90 degree connectors to go through so they all run down a single column at the back - excellent stuff).

If anyone wants pics or has questions to using a TV as a monitor feel free - but I have absolutely no regrets.

9. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

+1

I have a samsung syncmaster 2333HD, (which is 23") it has a DVI, VGA, 2x HDMI, component, and a scart connection. Also comes with a a remote. 1920 x 1080p res.
    Also has built in freeview!!
    All for less then £210

any way as for quick review needs more ports, and a bigger res i guess.

Also Taiwan..? for work? you must be having a blast there?

whats the tech there like?

i remember when i was in Japan, they had some cool stuff, but too prices to bring here, also they love mobiles there, and heated toilet seats :D

10. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I ran into this problem as well when I installed a new ATI Radeon HD 5770. It really took the shine of the new graphics card for the first few days until I finally gave up and asked!

Anyway, in order to get ATI graphics cards not "overscan" at 1920x1080 you need to do this: http://www.avforums.com/forums/grap...770-underscanning-1080p-lcd.html#post11420497

Why the hell they default like this when going out over HDMI I have absolutely NO idea...

11. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

+1 on the 2333HD - its the left most monitor in my eyefinity array, and i can just switch it over to TV mode if im not gaming.

12. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

I use my TV as a monitor, it a technika piece of **** TV, it was no more than £200 and is 720p with 200:1 contrast ratio. it sucks balls... its 24" and looks identical to your in the picture, just has a TV tuner and RF loop and a few scart inputs. :( Can't wait to get my 3x 24'' 1080p LED monitors :3

13. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Sorry for necro!!!

I was trying to find out details for the latest 4k monitors and stumbled over this thread. I wish companies would hurry up and get 4k out there properly (and at the right price!).

I was thinking of getting rid of my 27" iMac (mid 2010) and getting a Macbook Air and coupling it to a 27" Apple monitor/display. The amount of times I have wanted to transport my work from the office to the sofa has made my mind up on that. I have a very old Dell 30" (2560x1600) for my gaming and it has been a real joy to use. However I want to upgrade the PC display as well as my Macs.

The mentions of using a 27" Apple display for main PC gaming has made me think that not only would it look great to have 2 Apple displays sat side by side with the Vesa monitor arms I use, but it will also help with FPS if I drop from 2560x1600 to 2560x1440. But do Apple displays 'game ok? I response times need to be great - my old iMac is not great for gaming so its not like I test Bioshock Infinite at full res on it.

14. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Dear God this thread is three and a half years old.

Create a new thread in the Hardware section, you'll get more of a response there.

15. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Tags: Add Tags