1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC X Series 20.10.2010 Its over, finished, complete. Come one come all :)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 1 Feb 2010.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I dunno, my grills are a little wet! Unless you're into wet sausages :p (sus comment in 3, 2, 1....)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big thanks to Andy at Lamptron for all the support!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Apr 2010
  2. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Awesome work there!

3. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

There has to be a scientific reason for why hardware looks so epic with water droplets on it.

Hardware would be Cameras/ Guns/Fan Grills.

4. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I reckon hey, i'm such a lousy photographer so I rely on that scientific effect :p

5. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

I like the design of your case, and I also like your work. All parts fits together. The videos are cool to get a closer look at your work.

6. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Thanks, I have enough footage to put another video up but the new windows movie maker doesnt support MP4 anymore and I cant install the previous version due to windows 7. Is there perhaps a free video editor that can do mp4 that anyone would suggest?

7. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

That really stinks about your hard drives. I make it a point when i make a case to not have any watercooling fittings or res above the hard drives just in case of stuff like this.

If you had leaktested with air pressure first before filling with water, you would have avoided the loss of your hard drives. This is why I leaktest at about 10psi with air pressure before putting in any water.

8. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yeah I would have but have no idea how, guess i'll never make the "if its leak proof then its pressure proof" mistake again!

Video of me filling the loop is up, check it out!

9. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

drool
    it looks sooooo goooooddddd
    its just so clean, polished, and classy

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I love that reservoir you made!

11. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

it is very easy. i use an air compressor since i have one, but you could use a simple bicycle pump with a shroader valve. I spent less than $20 on a vacuum gauge from Harbor Freight tools that reads up to 10psi very clearly. I pump air into the system via the drain to about 10psi as shown on the vacuum gauge. The smallest leak will show up on the gauge.

[​IMG]

Once pumped up, i clamp off the supply line from the compressor.

[​IMG]

I usually let it sit for a few hours. If a loop can take 10psi with no leaks, it doesn't leak. The problem with just filling up a loop and cold leaktesting as you found out is that the loop has no pressure on it. A watercooling loop normally is only going to have 2-3psi, but a strong multi loop pump could see more. Leaktesting with air allows you to test it under pressure before any water can leak and make a mess.

Alexandros, p0Pe, Nutman and 7 others like this.
  12. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

consider yourself repd'
    thanks for the info

13. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yeah that deserves a rep, I'll come back to this page next time I need to air pressure test.

14. SpunkySpine

SpunkySpine I HAVE a Dremel!

A New Fan

I stumbled upon this site when looking at HW reviews. Your project caught my eye and after reading the first couple pages of the forum, I was hooked.. read your entire project and had a look at your Youtube posts. I only have a couple things to say...

WOW and BRAVO! :clap:

Keep up the great work, and excellent posts. Definitely a fan.

Sometimes I'm Brilliant, but most times, I'm just Myself!

15. Shazbom

Shazbom What's a Dremel?

Once again. Nice job you've done here.

anyways.. you didnt reply my old message. :sigh:
    why dont you change the way the loops go? more round tubes will look better then 2 x 90 degrees going to eachother. do similer to my loop would look much better. . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just an idea tho....

Unicorn likes this.
  16. InfernoZeus

InfernoZeus What's a Dremel?

Wow... just wow.. I've spent the last two hours reading this log, can't believe I haven't spotted it before. Looks brilliant, and it's given me lots of ideas for my own build (can there be any better praise? :thumb:) Consider me hooked and sub'ed! :D

17. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Wonderful build, great tips from others as well. Subscribed to your YouTube channel (screen name LightNZup). Hope you get your web site up and running soon. What is the make and model# of your cnc ? thanks :)

18. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I'm not sure I really, really like this build. I'm a bit with Fozzy on this one, but I DO recognize the skills that go into being good at prepping, drawing and cutting using CNCs. Oh, and since you got a hottie gf, I will sub, only hoping to see her reflection once in a while in that well-bathed n' scrubbed acrylic of yours! ;)

Oh, and I thought: The overall clean look would be impproved of the reservoir wasn't see-through. Perhaps add some black or white film to the backside?

Last edited: 18 May 2010
  19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I don't like water on my guns.
    I'd flip if I got water on my camera too.
    However water droplets on girls/fan grills/cars does look good.
    Mud looks good on girls and cars to some extent. I doubt it would look good on the fan grills, though.
    ...What were we talking about again?

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nice rig dude... that's an X58 classified with full Koolance blocks hiding under there ;) And I know that without looking at your sig :) I saw that rig on another forum somewhere and recognize it because you painted the cover plates on the Koolance blocks. What other forum do you have it on?

[edit]

Never mind, I looked it up again, it's another guy on Xtremesystems forums that also painted his Koolance X58 blocks red. I guess lots of people do that :) Your board looks great though, I love how tidily you've put everything together and the dual 295's are just sexy. Do you have a Project Log anywhere for that system?

Last edited: 18 May 2010