1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory When you buy memory what's the most important factor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 11 May 2010.

?

When you buy memory what's the most important factor?

1. Brand

48.1%
  2. Frequency/Lantency

51.0%
  3. Price

77.9%
  4. Voltage

15.4%
  5. Heatsink design

9.6%
  6. Heatsink colour

7.7%
  7. Warranty

17.3%
  8. Availability from my favourite retailer

19.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm just about to write a piece on "we cannot shop by voltage" for memory, since finding 1.35V is almost impossible as most stores list by frequency only, but then I wondered - what do people actually shop for when they buy memory?

2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Brand, frequency, and colour. So, basically, I'm ruling out anything that's a dull PCB with chips on. I like the shiny.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

In order of importance:

1. Frequency/timings
    2. Voltage (as a general rule, lower the better for a given set of freq/timing values)
    3. Reviews/brand (basically knowing what ICs go on the PCB, whether the RAM overclocks well, etc.)
    4. Price
    5. Warranty

Heatsink color/design - depends on whether I'm buying for a mod or for a general-purpose rig. Even then, heatspreaders/sinks are a shot of paint away from being suitable.

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Pretty heatsinks!

But mostly though, I sort by frequency and then just try to find the lower voltage stuff.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I tend to only buy OCZ gear these days, other than that, i have no real preference to what memory i use.

Sam

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i reckon from new i have to consider in order:

1. overclocking; will my RAM have enough speed to cope with my overclock
    2. PRICE
    3. brand/warranty - try to buy ram with life time warranty now or 5-10years.
    4. timings - not too high on my list as it makes little diff but if i can have lower timings for same price then all the better.
    5. low voltage is irrelevant IMO it save you only a couple of pennies off your bill for the year, just get the RAM that is correct for the platform i.e. 1.65V or less for intel

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

brand then Price TBH

memory has always been much of a muchness afaic

i pick one of four reasonable brands and pick the one i think is best priced

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'm surprised how much people care about brand TBH. I just buy whatever brand is cheapest for what I want, I can't really see any difference between Corsair, OCZ, Patriot, G. Skill, Crucial, Geil, Kingston et al. apart from different heatspreader designs and colours.

9. adam_bagpuss

well you just mentioned all the big brands and i dont think there is much diff really.

however i think they mean brand as in actually branded RAM not OEM type stuff like megaRAM or team alpha etc etc

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Oh yeah, I never buy the cheap stuff, and I never buy the value stuff from the big brands either (no heatspreader, no sale).

11. Buddharoxor

Buddharoxor Fubar'd at birth

Brand, Frequency, then price/heatspreaders (Everyone likes the shiney)

Some brands have a tendency, from what I've discovered and researched, to work better with certain brands, chipsets, etc. of motherboards and processors.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

brand first for me, never had problem with Corsair, so i'll keep using them.

Frequency and Price are a tie second, i want enough frequency (eg, 800Mhz for DDR2 Q6600, 1600Mhz for i5) that doesn't restrict my overclock, but has to be at reasonable price.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

14. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Almost solely on price tbh.

I try to avoid VALUE brands for my own rig, but for family PCs I'll grab it without any compunction.

My usual want is to buy RAM which will run at the stated speeds, with acceptable timings, without it costing a fortune. I don't care a hang about overclocking. Been there, done that, killed the hardware etc :D

15. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

Brand and price mainly.

16. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Same, bascially this for me too :)

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I always go for Corsair, so my vote goes for "brand" BUT the Corsair brand also means a lifetime warranty so i also ticked "warranty".

18. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

1. Price
    2. Review/Brand
    -3. Frequency
    -3. Voltage
    4. Anything else

19. adam_bagpuss

to put the price of the low voltage RAM into real money from bit-techs article.

lets assume that after all your normal electricity use your on your tier 2 price for me at around £0.10.

say you use your PC for 4 hours every day in any given month (i dont cause i work but i use it more at weekend)

this costs assuming your using the 1.2V as opposed to 1.5V kits (with the difference in power 24W) around 28p a month so for the year you save a grand total of £3.36.

granted if you leave your PC on all year you actually save £20.76 but not many do that.

i think its fair to say that the low voltage RAM will command a premium and i would imagine that to be quite a bit more than standard RAM.

so you would have to offset your initial extra cost against the savings you make.

For the £3.36 id save if i switched to low voltage memory its hardly worth it and i wouldnt acutally save any money as i usually dont keep my PC more than 3 years thus only obtaining a maximum saving of £10.08 which im sure would not offset the premium price tag just to have low voltage memory

20. October

October Mariachi Style

I found out heatsink design was pretty important just after I'd bought mine, if I'd gotten Dominator or anything with a larger heatsink it wouldn't have fit under my Fenrir. Other than that; price, brand, frequency.