1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Interface CGA-screen with an Arduino?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by XtaZy, 4 May 2010.

1. XtaZy

XtaZy What's a Dremel?

Not sure if this is the right forum, but the end result is supposed to be a status-screen for a pc, so here goes anyway...

I am acquiring one of these http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=446

I'm planning to build a new computer inside it. (Not highest end, just a normal spec computer) And I was thinking of using the built in CGA-monitor as a statusdisplay (LCDInfo style, or whatever the cool geeks use nowadays).
    The screen is monochrome amber so it would probably look a bit like the Planar EL-screens some have been using in their mods.

I have been checking up a bit, and CGA is a RGBI signal using TTL-communications. 4 lines (RGB + Intensity), combined with HSYNC (15.75KHz) and VSYNC (60Hz).
    The 4 "color-inputs" are logic on or off. The combination of these generates up to 16 colors. However, as this is an amber screen, it would probably be easiest to start with "all-high" or "all-low"... White and Black.

So the problem is the following... I could probably both wire and code the arduino to flip the TTL-lines on and off, but I'm not sure what I do with the HSYNC and VSYNC inputs. And how to time the TTL-flips to correspond to pixels on the screen. (The standard CGA resolution is 320x200).

I'm not very good at electronics, but I'm very good at following instructions, and taking hints ;)

Has anyone tried this before?

Oh, and this is my first post on bit-tech... Hi :)

-Christian...

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

*blank expression*

Never seen the old screen recycled in that manner, on these type of builds using old cases as such- I'd be inclined to just rip it out and replace it with a nice LCD panel with temps & status display etc. Given the age of the original, it may not be in the best shape ever..

3. XtaZy

XtaZy What's a Dremel?

Well... It actually is... It boots and runs just fine. So it might actually be a shame to tear it down and rebuild it with new parts... And the geekness-factor of using the old CGA-screen is much higher than ripping it out and placing a lcd there instead :D

-C-

4. jesterod

jesterod What's a Dremel?

where was this thing that it is still in working condition?

5. XtaZy

XtaZy What's a Dremel?

It's beeing sold privately in Trondheim, Norway. I haven't jumped on it yet since i have a financial "situation" until my next paycheck ;)

He also has a few XT's that I was thinking of doing the same thing with... But only if I can't get my first solution to work.

-C-