1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

I have a Caberg Trip, love the fit, but I dont find it all that quiet... Wind noise especially.

2. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

But that's the beauty of a flip front, you flip it down when you're going fast and flip it up in traffic or if you want a drink or whatever. Hopefully I won't have to take it off if I go into a petrol station but Tesco don't even allow flip fronts and normally I wear a balaclava which makes the point moot anyway most of the time.

Edit: The Konda is a development/replacement of the Trip, I wanted a Trip but I couldn't find one. I find it about as noisy as my HJC which is pretty good for a flip front, mind you the balaclava makes quite a difference and I always wear earplugs.

Moriquendi

Last edited: 11 May 2010
    yatesy likes this.
  3. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Hmmm, I didn't get on with a Caberg, it just didn't fit me at all (had an open face one when I was pillioning), so now I have a agv full face instead which fits brilliantly, although is quite noisy on motorways and such.

4. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

I wear my helmet into every shop I go into.
    I have only been asked to remove it once, in the Pound store of all places...

EDIT - Bought the liquid electrical tape, + rep to Mori

Last edited: 11 May 2010
  5. stivalmighty

stivalmighty What's a Dremel?

Used to have a 125cc 4-stroke white knuckle quadzilla until I sold it for next to nothing... wish I didn't now :(.

6. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Yatesy, have you posted a picture of your bike, i'd love to see it, looking at speed fours atm...
    Also how tall are you? / is it comfy etc?

7. Moriquendi

Different manufacturers have different shaped head-moulds so that's not all that surprising.

With the liquid electrical tape I found it works better if you build up lots of layers rather than just gobbing it on all over the place, looks better too.

Stickeh, come to the dark side, motorbikes are the way forwards.

Moriquendi

8. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

I havent posted any pics, havent taken any since getting it.
    Its a Apple Green model like this one ... with an aftermarket exhaust, and thats about it. Also fitted a relay to have both headlights on.

Im about 5'9", and I find it perfectly comfortable. The seat is fine for longer distances, and there is little pressure on my wrists. I have very little experience, having only ridden about 4 different bikes - 3 being 125cc learner 'beasts' - but I have to say that the mirrors on the Speed Four are awesome.

I did some research when I was buying, and the Speed Four always had good reviews - as its basically a TT600, which also got some good reviews. I have found it great to learn how to ride a bigger bike on. Its still restricted to 33bhp, but I find it more than powerful enough for the time being, even with a pillion.

Will try and get some pictures sometime...

9. Stickeh

Oh i'll be there, i want one for commuting when i get a 'real' job. Just need to find a bike tall enough / comfy enough. Dads triumph sprint is very nicely sized, but i'd prefer a fairing-less / naked bike. Suggestions?

10. RTT

RTT #parp

A Moto. A big one. They are made for tall people!

11. Stickeh

You would say that RTT ;) you always say that.
    How comfy is it for pillion passengers?

12. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

I bought a Triboseat cover for the pillion seat, as my girlfriend was sliding all over the place.
    She has complained about everything to do with the experience of being a pillion, but never about the wind or comfort of the seat, so thats a vote for the seat by omission.

13. RTT

RTT #parp

Did you mean mine Stickeh? Something like a KTM 690 SMC will be awful for pillions. However something like a 990 or 950 is up there with any other touring bike for comfort, space, seat size, visibility, grab rails, etc :)

14. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

I find the er6-n is pretty comfy over long distances (I've done 6/7 hours a day on one before and I'm 6ft) and is pretty good fun. Can't comment on the comfort for pillions though.

15. Moriquendi

I think the size of your pillion will have the largest effect on how comfortable they are on any motorbike, certainly it seems to me that the pillion footpegs on my bike (BMW R850R) are closer to the seat than the riders pegs so more comfortable for shorter people.

A lot of people suggest moto bikes and dual-sport bikes for commuting, partly for the higher riding position but also I think they suit taller people better, this may apply to the pillion position too. You may also find that a twin cylinder bike is more suited to carrying a pillion that a four cylinder because they tend to produce more torque for their capacity.

Moriquendi

16. aradreth

Anyone else watching NW200 today (it is live on the BBC)?

Edit: I'm finding streaming to be terrible on the bbc today making it pretty hard to watch.

Last edited: 15 May 2010
  17. RTT

RTT #parp

[blog]

Today's route: link :D A bit of everything in it - fast A roads, fast B roads, tight and windy B roads, even some dual carriageway :)eeek: !)

Highlights
    * Alton -> Basingstoke (i've mentioned this road several times before - go ride it!!! :D)
    * Basingstoke -> Newbury (not done this before, very good)
    * Hungerford -> Wantage (mentioned before, very very good :D)
    * Wantage -> Newbury (see above)
    * Twyford -> Ascot (regular route for me, brown pants required though - blind crests, gravel, farm turnings, numerous hairpins, things blocking your view, etc. ride with caution)

[/blog]

Bonus edit: Best corner ever.. Perfect surface, can see all the way round it, constant radius, goes on forever and ever!

Last edited: 15 May 2010
  18. Moriquendi

We have those, we call them roundabouts:thumb:

Moriquendi

19. RTT

RTT #parp

Haha :D

20. aradreth

Yeah but with that corner you wont have some **** in a van trying to run you over.

Anyway NW200 highlights are up here. Skip 10mins if you want to get into the racing bit.

Also Steve Parrish is going around with an illegal visor (unless the law in Ireland is different) with the police :hehe: