1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus Crosshair IV Extreme to use Lucid Hydra

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 12 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

While the Hydra chip will more than likely be crap, a part of me is glad that ASUS is going for this. Maybe after they've got some feedback from users and manufacterers Lucid can produce a better product after Hydra.

Still, you've got to wonder how often people are likely to want to change between crossfire and sli. If you were going to splash out on two or more new GPUs, chances are you'll want to get a new motherboard anyway.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

A Fermi and yesterday's 5970 4GB? Anyone? Richie Rich?

4. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Wouldn't surprise me if ASUS have somehow managed to make the Hydra less crap than it is.

5. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

ARES + MARS on Crosshair IV Extreme?

Dumdedum....

6. Redkachina

Redkachina Califragilistsic Expialidocious

+1 Richie Rich lol

7. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Its a great looking mobo too.. price?

8. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

If they can't keep the NB and SB cool on the crosshair iv formula I'd like to see how they'll manage a third chip... Waiting on my RMA replacement board for a NB that could boil water within 2 minutes of turning it on and there are a fair few people in asus forums who have rma'd for similar reasons. Hope they put some heatsink compound on the extreme version!

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I'd like to see the multi video card performance.. know you guys did a test on lucid and it came up bad- but who knows maybe they worked some things out- I like new tech instead of the same old crap from the two video card companies that are supposedly in competition

10. JAMF

JAMF What's a Dremel?

Switching from SLI to Crossfire and back isn't really the trick here. It's the running of an AMD and an nVidia card together that makes this special, a hybrid between SLI and CF.

Will nVidia allow it? They've already written their drivers to stop someone running an nVidia and an AMD card simultaneously in Windows7. If someone wants to use his older nVidia card for PhysX but his newer AMD for graphics in tandem, he has to be running an older nVidia driver (pre-186).

11. ImNotPOTUS

ImNotPOTUS What's a Dremel?

There is a substantial market for this board if HYDRA works

If they can get the HYDRA working for this spec below:

890FX chipset
    AMD hexacore X6 1090T chip
    16GB ram
    1- SATA 6 GB/s SSD OS disk
    1- SATA 6 GB/s SSD scratch disk
    1- 2-6TB SATA 6 GB/s HDD raid array
    .....now this is the critical part here...............................
    1 AMD 5870 6 DVI port Video Card outputting to 6 DVI monitors or at least 5750 with 3 displays.
    1 Nvidia GTX 285 used only to accelerate the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine.

Win 7 64 bit
    Adobe CS5 Production Suite.(free to try for 30 days....go DL it and see what this board can do.)

If they can get that collection of parts to work together.........:jawdrop:

You are looking at the most cost efficient/most bang for the buck Non-Linear Video Editing system on the planet and still go toe to toe with a six core $10 grand workstation class editing systems for a fraction of the cost.

You could even start with a low end 5750 card and the bare minimum of memory and hard drives and still get decent production using HDSLR format video files. You could skip eyefinity all together and just use the GTX 285... but why would you?

ASUS better wake up to the market share potential of this eyefininty/CUDA/hexacore monster.

Every single wedding videographer on the planet will want to buy this setup in a heartbeat. That is not an overstatement by any means. Real time H.264 editing for under $4 grand to start..soup to nuts...

12. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

I see this as good news, as it will send some money towards Hydra for further improvements to their drivers. I actually hope that AMD adopts this tech as they are more open to open standards.

13. Techspat

Techspat What's a Dremel?

Mmm, methinks there be some other devilry at work. Could it be that Asus wants Nvidia to enable 4-way SLI in the BIOS without having to buy two additional (hot) chips, and the threat of using Hydra is just tactics? SLI tax is a bugger!

14. Mlothiss

Mlothiss What's a Dremel?

I have built a few months ago an AMD AM3 system that uses HD4890 which I prefer over now lying around GTS250. I was thinking buying a 120hz monitor, cause I'd like to try 3D.

Now, my dilemma is: I would have to sacrifice ATI horspower.
    Is there any chance that with the purchase of this mobo or the MSI counterpart to be ready in July, I could just drop in my chip, mem and of course my two GPU's and get a 3 way hybrid, that will run 3D vision, physics and add two AMD(ATI) chips for increased performance?

That would be awesome!!!

15. Thyran

Thyran What's a Dremel?

Where can I get it? How much it will cost?

Pls tell me...

Tags: Add Tags