1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Blur Hands-On Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 May 2010.

1. enciem

enciem Minimodder

2. enciem

enciem Minimodder

oops, sorry, whisky. Work tomorrow as well, shame on me. Still, this game's hopefully gonna be better than Split Second, just played the demo on PS3, the demolition is good but the driving experience is too stiff. Guess it is Disney though

3. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I'd have to say they're both fine with a keyboard - I can kick plenty of ass on GRID off and online with a dodgy old Z-board, without having to mess with the acceleration and steering limits. DiRT is a bit harder though - if you're trying to make a small adjustment as you come to a jump and time it wrong you can end up completely sideways in mid air.

OT, this game sounds really great - will definitely be looking into this at the end of the month. Like impar said, what DRM has it got?

4. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Not sure, I played it on 360 for this preview - publisher is Activision...

5. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

6. miester7

miester7 My single core cpu plays crysis

I played the beta a few weeks back. I wasn't impressed with handling physics at all. Split second seems better scored 8.7 on IGN

7. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Trying to get that in for review as well :)

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

With a Controller sure its probably much easier to play but it just stucks steering wise and acceleration control wise on a keyboard ><

9. captainpie

captainpie What's a Dremel?

10. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

It's no where near a racing sim, it's a Arcade style driving game. Don't buy it with high expectations of a physics engine like GT, NFS or Forza, that wasn't Bizarre Creation's goal.

I played the Beta version for it's entire duration. The majority of people online I witnessed preferred activating their shield and ramming into a wall instead of using the Apex. I used their oversight to my advantage, gain position and pray they didn't launch a power-up bomb up my tail pipe. Giving inexperienced drivers the ability to cripple experienced drivers is what makes the game addictive.

I've seen Split/Second gameplay and the cinematic graphics look awesome. Hopefully the game play is on par with it's good looks.

11. mnpctech

Split/Second demo (xbox and ps3) to check out and compare.

Download Split/Second Demo for Xbox and PS3

BLUR:
    - 60 fps
    - Licensed real automobile models
    - Each car's handling characteristics are similar to real car.
    - Vibrant colors
    - Sound F/X are excellent!
    - Multiplay allows up to 20 people (best played with 10, so you can enjoy racing aspect too)
    - Cars require good skills to gain lap time.
    - Weaponry: "Power-ups" offer temporary protection, Nitrous boosts in speed, offensive and defensive weapons. "Power-ups" are placed in stationary positions throughout the track and can be re-used, similar to Mario kart. "Power-ups" add strategy to the game play. If you used properly, they can give you advantage over better drivers or protect your position.

Split / Second
    - 30 fps
    - Fictional automobile models
    - Cool cinematic effects like road disintegrating before your car, silos collapsing and dodging 747 as it lands on Runway!
    - Multi-play is limited to 8 people
    - Cars are easier than blur to drive, very stable at high speeds.
    - Weaponry: You trigger "Power-plays" which are traps and explosives on the track. Don't require too much strategy.

Neither game is like a Forza, NFS or GT series, it's a mute point to even try comparing them.

The biggest difference I noticed is that Split/Second is much easier for controlling the car than blur. Split/Second's graphics are more realistic while blur looks like a Pixar animated movie. Each has little nuances that the other doesn't which will make the two games be debated forever.

I'll play blur when I want to sit on the edge of my seat and curse at the screen during Multiplay and S/S when I want to zone out and relax.

12. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Bit of a thread revival...

Just seen this advert:

'Race like a big boy'

13. mnpctech

Awesome commercial. From what I've read so far on other forums, people are enjoying Blur. My copy arrived yesterday.

14. snooky32

snooky32 What's a Dremel?

Can't wait to get hold of this, have been missing a good arcade racer since i completed burnout paradise.
    Hoping they will get it on steam in Europe asap, not just US. :grr:

Tags: Add Tags