1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Phenom II 720 overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by killking463, 17 May 2010.

1. killking463

killking463 What's a Dremel?

Hey,

To overclock my Phenom II 720 i have set the same settings in my bios as the maker of the guide had set:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/05/11/overclocking-amd-s-phenom-ii-x3-720-be/3

I have a MSI 785GM-E65 as motherboard what has almost the same bios. My RAM is a kit from Crucial (DDR3 1333mhz CL9). My cooling is good enough (Scythe Mugen with 2 big fans and the temperature at stock speed is 19C. The problem is, when all the settings are the same, that when i save the settings and boot, it stays rebooting. So it is unstable. I think I know what the reason is, the RAM kit, because it isn't meant for overclocking. I have 1 setting changed namely the FSB/DRAM ratio to 1:3,333 so the RAM clock is 1333mhz, because that is the stock speed.
    It still stays rebooting. The thing i want to know is how I get my CPU at 3,7 ghz without overclocking my RAM (or a good solution).

Can anyone help me?
    Thanks,
    Joachim

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

What you have to realize is that not all cpu's are created equal, some overclock better than others for some reason. As an example, I've got an AMD athlone X4 620, I can get it up to 3.5ghz and possibly beyond with a little fiddling. I know for a fact some of the mags testing them had trouble hitting 3.4ghz and in some cases just over 3.3ghz was a struggle. There's a lad on here who can crank his i7 920 to 4.5ghz but I know people that have trouble holding 3.8ghz stable. So what I'm getting at , is that you might not have one of the cpu's that is an overclockers dream , It's pure luck when you buy a cpu as to whether you get a good one or not and it might be the case with yours, that it'll hit maybe 3.4 and top out, it's not anything that your doing wrong , unfortunately it's just the way it happens sometimes.

3. killking463

Ive managed to get the fsb at 250mhz and the multiplier at 14.5x so the cpu clocks at 3.65ghz.. i am lucky :d?
    Do you know a good list of all the terms of amd (like ht link speed etc)?

Thanks

4. dec

dec [blank space]

If I was overclocking it Id start with everything at stock then start raising the multiplier until it couldnt POST. Then Id raise the CPU voltage, by small increments until it was happy. Then Id stress test it to see how the thermal and stability is. If its good then onward and upward. If not then cut it back.

Another way is to check if the system remains stable after every little change. It takes longer to do and is probably safer for higher OC's.

Either way it'll take days to settle on a good OC.

5. bulldogjeff

What I've found with Amd cpu's is that good quality, fast ram helps, G Skill and Crucial seem to over clock well with the athlons, feeding them loads of volts doesn't seem to have much affect.
    Try setting the ram to auto and see if that helps, you may find the the frequency drops a tiny bit but the cpu clock speeds rise.

6. killking463

Ok, but wich voltages i have to change? CPU and/or CPU VDD voltage, CPU NB / CPU NB VDD voltage too? And if i change the HT link speed, will it affect my RAM? Because im scared ill damage it (they were cheap and not meant for overclocking).

7. bulldogjeff

Go with the bit-tech guide with voltages but try dropping the cpu back to 1.4 to keep it with in the safe limits and see how you go. If you've hit 3.65ghz I don't think there's to much more to come. I don't think you're going to miss 0.05ghz some how...lol

8. killking463

Whaha:p.. no but there are people who can clock it to 3.9, and I think that 2.75ghz difference, is much enough to try :)...
    Sorry for my english, im dutch ;).

But thanks for reacts.