1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate confirms 3TB drives

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Do want.

Shame it will be pricey, but the introduction of a higher capacity should drive lower cap's down in price. Always wondered why it took so long from 2-3TB when 500gb to 1tb was such a quick jump in time!

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so this is why storage has been stuck at 2TB for the last one and half year (about)

4. Gavster2002

Gavster2002 What's a Dremel?

Another caveat is that these drives will not work as boot drives, just as secondary drives.

5. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Well I guess you can never have enough storage.
    I have to admit that every time I upgrade my hard drive I just get tempted to fill it up faster.

I have to say that when you start having all that data on one drive you should really be looking at having a raid setup for redundancy or a backup solution in place (or both), so it does start to get very expensive when you consider all those things.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

most likely by the time the tech is sorted out the market will get slapped with 3Tb and above in a short time span after launch.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Not wholly true. They will work as boot drives, but only if you have a GUID Partition Table, currently limited to UEFI capable motherboards, which is basically none of them AFAIK apart from those in Intel powered Macs.

Anyway, you'd be mental to use a 3TB boot drive. Do the right thing and get a SSD for OS and apps, then use the big spinning platters for mass data storage either in your machine (and don't forget to backup!) or, preferably, in a storage server with RAID or a similar redundancy technology (ZFS RAID-Z2 would be my choice).

8. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

i still see some uses for XP, but honestly, if you have the resources to get that much hard drive space, you should be on Windows 7,lol

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

3TB drives are good - it means that 2TB drives drop in price!

I see this as a non issue as there seems to be a shift towards using a small SSD as a boot drive - once Win 7 is installed (and I assume Linux/Unix etc.) it can handle large volumes fine.

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Fixed. Dude... they're Segate drives. Ewww.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Impressive. But it is gonna be a bit hard explaining to some people why they can't just fling it inside their machine same as always.

12. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'm interested in high capacities, but in external drives rather than internal ones.
    In a PC I can simply add another drive if I need more space, but I don't want to have to carry several external drives with me if I need more space when I'm on the move. When are we going to see 2GB+ on external drives that can be powered by the USB cable?

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Won't that scupper Windows 8? I'm sure it will need more than 3Tb installation space... :p

14. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I suspect it'll be about a decade before I want to boot off a 3TB disk.

My main concern is how nicely these are going to play with WHS - gut reaction is not at all.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

If you can afford a 3TB drive, you've likely got a SSD anyway for the boot drive. I always have separate system and data drives anyway, and I imagine almost everyone here does too.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

need them even bigger.. too bad file system limit is 2tb

17. legoyoda

legoyoda What's a Dremel?

Not actually True. All current versions of Windows support GPT partitions / disks. This means the Max Windows partition size is 256 TB but the max supported GPT size (In theory) is 18 Exabytes. Not sure if you can boot from them but you can have a bigger than 2TB partition using RAID (I've done it with 300GB SCSI Disks)

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

[​IMG]

:p

19. Gavster2002

Gavster2002 What's a Dremel?

Yes agreed that you would be mental to have a 3TB boot drive, as said SSD for OS and progs with the 3TB for DATA, or even better option get a NAS enclusure and chick it in there.

20. CampGareth

CampGareth What's a Dremel?

I'm interested to know why in the name of "Mahoosive data storage" the manufacturers haven't recreated 5.25" drives, sure they'll be slower to access and will have to go in a somewhat vulnerable area of a computer case but the attraction of 14 higher density platters is surely huge! That's 7TB if we assume 500GB a platter (and the number will be far higher than that) or 9TB for 640GB platters.

The drives should be quieter or much faster than current ones to boot. Looking at some calculations on platter areas we'd have total drive capacities of closer to 14 or 20TB. Would someone mind explaining why the blazes this was deemed a bad idea?!

Tags: Add Tags