1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Need a gripping game please!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 7 May 2010.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You're not alone, there are a few of us who like WaW. We just keep quiet because the anointed ones (i.e. critics) all spat on it for not being what they expected.

2. Somatic

Somatic What's a Dremel?

If you want classic, System Shock 2 or Dues Ex.

If you want modern, Bad Company 2 (online) or Dragon Age/Mass Effect (offline).

DA:O can take up to 100 hours on a single play through if you take your time and do every side quest. The gameplay can be very hit or miss unless you like the basic appeal of RPGs, otherwise I'd go with Mass Effect 2 or start with the first. BC2 is a lot of fun with a fair amount of playerbase.

3. Raptorex

Raptorex What's a Dremel?

Mass Effect 2, Assassins Creed 2 and Red Dead Redemption are all great games with depth

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Haven't played it in a while but, as mentioned on these here forums in the past, tis good.

I'm currently loving Alan Wake on the 360 (amongst many others), damn enjoyable yarn.

5. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Yes to Dark Messiah!

No one's mentioned Arma 2...this makes me sad. If you can get into it, you will love it. Be warned, it's nothing like the more usual linear, unrealistic shooters but that's half the fun :D

6. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

My recommends for a FPS are:

1.) COD4 - single player is like your starring in your own movie and multi player is excellent.

2.) Modern warfare 2 - again excellent single player, but I hate multi player which is a big step backwards from COD4.

3.) Battlefield Bad Company 2 - surprisingly good single player, but muli player is where its at.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

yet all of them are shallower then a puddle of piss, if you want an FPS with depth then you go back 10 years to SS2 and DE, hell Kingpin was a better FPS then those 3

8. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Never enjoyed the SP or MP of W@W; had a long running love affair with Nazi Zombies though.

Probably one of the most enjoyable co-op games I've played.

Seconding Batman AA - it's an amazing game. It took me a while to get into it, but when I did I didn't put it down again until it was complete.

9. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

another +1 for Bioshock. I started it today and 3 hours later, i have stopped for a DR Pepper and bit tech break!!

10. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

This!
    AA was awesome, I ended up doing all the story mode challenges (collecting riddles and what not) then went on to complete most of challenge mode.
    Was an epic game, the voice acting was amazing, the animations and characters were awesome and it was so immersive!
    The only problem was the ending but don't let that put you off.

11. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I agree with Mass Effect. However, you really ought to play through 1 first as it will greatly enhance your experience of the second game.

Also, ME2 is way way way better than ME1, and you won't want to play 1 again after 2. That said, ME1 was utterly amazing on my first playthrough, so get through that and save the absolute best for last.

12. woods

woods What's a Dremel?

I'm about 70% through Batmam AA and think it is excellent, i'm also at the end of Crysis which I really enjoyed, 5 missions finished in Cod waw which I like, and just starting out on Mass effect 2 and looking forward to getting into it, but it is Batmman AA that brings me back the most. A mention of Mark Hamill as The Joker as one of the best voice actors in a game

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm currently struggling bigtime to get into Mass Effect. It's clunky and extremely boring. The dialogue is good, but that's about it so far.

I'm told it gets better, but damn.

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

So im not the only one. I bought it in a steam sale at the end of last year/early this. Ive played about an hour or so in all the time ive had it.

I just cant see why its so highly praised, it just cant seem to pull me in.

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Same, I think I would enjoy it more if I didn't have to play the crap bits in between the story convos and videos, steam says I have played it for 2.6 hours total :hehe:

16. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It's like any game, not everyone will like it.

For me the slow bits, chatting to the characters, messing around with my parties equipment etc. were really enjoyable. I found the storyline quite compelling although the combat was lacking in polish.

I do realise, though, that the game wasn't perfect and I understand why many would find it slow going.

17. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

If you really want games with 'depth' you might be better skipping all the action and arcade type games, and look for more simulation style stuff, like Arma2. And Civilization 4 (or wait for the sequel due sometime this year I think). Age of Wonders 2, or Heroes of Might and Magic 5. Magic the Gathering Online (only play this if you are... rich). Baldur's Gate series or Dragon Age maybe. DCS: Black Shark. etc.

As for FPS's, Fallout 3 isn't bad depth wise, and one just came out called Alpha Protocol which sounds promising. Or if you would be happy playing older games, try System Shock 2 and Deus Ex.

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Hitman blood Money for sure.

Or Civilization 4, that game will suck you in mercilessly.