1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia fixes overheating issue

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Mar 2010.

1. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Thanks for the link. That's the page that I kept getting to each time, however the download link for some reason was always 32bit :-/

Anyway, time to see what ME2 looks like without all the jaggies everywhere!

2. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

By the time i got round to getting the 196.75 driver it had already been removed from their website. Ha ha no cooked graphics card for me then.

3. klimatekhange

klimatekhange What's a Dremel?

I thought my PC was misbehaving or my graphics cards were on the way out. Constant crashes and horrid noises coming from Crysis and Dirt 2. No help on the web except use EVGA precision which I did. And I find out a few days ago it was the NVidia drivers after all. How much life has been removed from my GTX260s with all the overheating? They still work now but for how long? Damn their eyes.

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I always do that. Never even got close to the problem ones.

5. JustLeigh

JustLeigh What's a Dremel?

My XFX 9800GX2 is dead. It's out of warrenty, but as this was definately caused by nVidia I believe I deserve some compensation. XFX have offered me a reasonably priced upgrade, but I'm waiting for nVoidia to come back to me about this. I am not holding my breath. I suspect no compensation will be forthcoming.

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'm in the same situation. XFX aren't interested, but it's not really their place to be. Let me know how you get on!

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

guys can try this.. took some pictures of my gaming rig yesterday when I had to take it apart for dusting.. I have a small portable case for my gaming rig.. but it's pretty quiet for the ocing done and has tons of airflow thanks to spot cooling.. it's really about getting the outside air directly to certain spots

the problem I see mainly with these expensive cases is they are overcompensating so the end user gets it done simple.. in my case I ducted the air from directly outside using a drying duct.. you can get temps low on the cheap too- using big fans is a good idea along with speed control on your cpu and gpu fans, and any fans blowing externally should be put on a controller too

then on the gpu.. use nibitor to edit the bios and set lower limits on your gpu's fan speed.. on my 260 have it 58-63C it will slowly ramp up from 40% to 100% at 63C instead of the insanely high number.. think was 80- you won't be able to hold any sort of decent oc without flashing or using rivatuner (which I don't use)

results are running 756 core and 1512 shader on games like street fighter 4- while also maintaining 16q+8q app enhanced aa- it doesn't get any better than that, just look at the screen posted =].. newer games like napoleon total war which tax the heck out of the gpu- I can still get 702 on the gpu but I have to decrease the shader speed quite a bit for 100% stability.. and even then it rarely hits 70C

then older games like gw course can run 16q enhancing the in game 4x while keeping the temps low with a mild oc.. I say mild but it's better than the Cheesecake line of evga.. this is all on a 260 before the die shrink, it'd be even better on a newer card :D using the duct also lets you idle at 43C after a good dusting- before the duct I was idling upper 40s stock cooler..

attached a 92 to the gpu and a slim 80 to the case.. duct runs between the two.. the 92 should be put on a controller for noise- the slim 80 can be anything quiet.. it doesn't matter what the driver says as air is being push directly over the gpu from outside all the time.. also lowered my cpu temps a bit

it's all about the airflow from the outside- by the time the air get to where it needs to in a normal case.. it's been heated up, so guys buy these huge full towers to get the same oc's.. ducting just works- only down side is guys with window cases- they probably wouldn't want to do this

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Elton likes this.
  8. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I hadn't experienced any problems but it looks like I'm still on 196.21 I think will wait a week or so to make sure they really fixed the problem before upgrading to the latest "fix".

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Hippoz, I'd totally do that duct trick If I had a good CPU cooler. Compounded with the fact that The HAF has no real side panel area I guess the one place to put it would be the bottom 120mm..

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ah thats a nice case, not sure how to adapt a 120 down using a dryer duct.. just wanted something small that could oc well and after trying a bunch of different things, ended up with the duct after a trip to home depot :D had a thermalright hr-03 plus on a 8800gtx a couple cards before this one and it really heated up the case if you gamed awhile.. summer time the cpu would get up over spec remember.. anyhow the duct works good

can't really fit much more in there.. temps compare to a bigger case- so I'm happy with it

nvidia drivers have always been hit and miss too imo.. still run a really old one

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well, the HAF is adequate enough seeing as it's cooling capabilities are excellent.

Not to mention it's not too loud.

12. Bayaz

Bayaz What's a Dremel?

This was a serious error by Nvidia and points towards a lack of testing. I downloaded these faulty drivers and didn't realise why my games had terrible performance until I checked the temperature which was 100C

13. mac007

mac007 What's a Dremel?

Know cooling is a massive problem for manufacturers - have you seen the phase change cooler now being developed for enhanced cooling that the average Joe can install. Hope to see this rolled out on graphics cards sometime.

Tags: Add Tags