1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel launches Atom smartphone chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 6 May 2010.

1. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

http://anandtech.com/show/3696/inte...00-series-the-fastest-smartphone-processor/12
    Quoted figures. I wouldn't suspect the Javascript benchmark to use more than 1080p decoding, though!

2. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

It all depends on which parts of the chips are being used. If 1080p decoding is done purely by the DSP in the GPU, then power usage could be very limited as it's optimized silicon while the rest of the chips could be shut down. Remember that Intel is really good at power gating and shutting down small and big parts of its CPUs.

My guess is that for Javascript the CPU has to pick up the load, does it purely in software and will suffer a huge power penalty for it. I'd estimate 2.5W or more total. For the Q3 demo it could be as high as 4 or 5 Watt if not more.

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Maybe, maybe not! I'd rather see actual figures than hear someone who isn't involved in the creation of this system speculate about figures. After all, what counts is cold hard facts, not guess work. Sorry if I offend you with this message.

4. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Knock yourself out. I'm basically just repeating what Arstechnica reported. You can take it up with them if you want :p

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...ening-salvo-in-x86-vs-arm-smartphone-wars.ars

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Perhaps - but Intel's likely to tweak the power design once more, so perhaps miracles can happen? ;D

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

After reading the article on Anandtech, I have to say I am interested. They have made some real changes to Atom in order to get to Moorestown. Whether they actually manage to drop the power draw enough will be interesting to see.

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I wonder overall how hot this will be against your face when you use it lol or at this point is when people make the move to a blue-tooth headset.

8. Bayaz

Bayaz What's a Dremel?

Soon the only difference between the a smartphone and a laptop will be the screen size.I can see a lot of people opting for smartphones in the future instead of laptops

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

and a lot of people opting for laptops instead of desktops.

then a lot of scientist opting for desktops instead of supercomputers :)

Tags: Add Tags