1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI's new single and dual-screen tablets pictured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

And I bet even the dual screen version will be cheaper than an iPad >.<

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I think using a full fat win7 is just wrong. It's not even designed for touch screens. IMHO android would be better (if modified for multi-touch).

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Hmmm looks interesting.

5. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Why waste such a device on smartphone OS? Win7 has been design all the way with touchscreen in mind and should work fine. Although, I would use the Netbook version.

6. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Most Android devices have multitouch, it doesn't need modified.

And I'm gradually getting convinced Chrome OS might be the best tablet OS. Mostly because it hasn't been given another proper purpose, and is still in development.

7. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

I agree, Windows and atom just doesnt work very well together.... I have an ION netbook and although its a good combination for a standard PC or netbook (where I dont mind waiting for it to catch up), its just too sluggish for a tablet device in a world where we are spoiled by iPods and iPads. Ideally a good tablet should have something like the Tegra 2 that can support HD and is energy efficient.

Maybe Google could implement some of the ideas demonstrated in the Courier Project (R.I.P) in Chrome OS, that would be awesome

8. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

I use 7 in my CarPC, the touchscreen support is definately an improvement over the support in Vista, but it still has its issues.

9. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Tbh, to stand any chance of beating an iPad these tablets need an OS which has been designed with a touch UI from the start, and doesn't make any pretense of trying to be a PC OS too. It also needs to be a far more lightweight OS than Windows because Atom and Windows are a match made in hell.

10. RichLumb @ CCL

RichLumb @ CCL Product Gimp

They had one of the dual screen units on display at the MSI Stand down at the Gadget Show Live event at the NEC a month or so back, unfortunately it was behind a plexiglass cover so i wasn't able to have a hands on go with it, but it looked really cool.

I will be very interested in one provided the price is reasonable of course, however I have a feeling they might be massively overpriced.

11. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

I have a win 7 full laptop (HP touchsmart TM2) which is also multitouch. It's excellent and I have no problems.
    Win 7 has been developed to be a touch OS or mouse/keyboard.
    I hope for the dual screen version with a bit of power behind it and it will be excellent.

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Looks promising so don't mess it up MSI

13. somewhereoveryonda

somewhereoveryonda You'll never know when to buy!

It looks odd.. mayb its just because theres usually a keyboard in there. Will be even more odd to use.. wonder if you could open it flat on a table and have both screens running the same window.. like eyefinity.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Cool, I think I will hold tight in buying a new netbook until these dual screen models hit the scene. :) Oh and I second that it will be most likely cheaper and more functional then the iPad lol.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Hhhhrrrrrmmmm.

I love the idea of a folding dualscreen tablet, and this is certainly one, but there are some facts that I'd really love to have. Physical dimensions mainly, if it's still huge even while folded then that's going to be a bit of a drawback. Maybe, maybe I'd still buy one if it had the power/size to warrant a carrying bag. How well typing works on the touchscreen will be interesting as well, I just assume it will function as a keyboard when laid out like a netbook. Certainly something I'll be watching.

This, at least for the single screen version. It'll obviously be a very similar device and people will be quick to compared the two directly. Usability is one area where the iPad will always be a very strong contender.

16. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Don't understand why ppl here are saying Windows7 and Atom are a "match made in hell"? I've had a Samsung netbook with Windows7 working perfectly for months. So much so that I've left my laptop sitting there gathering dust. I use MS Office on it and remote into the network at work along with control the network here at home. Does everything I did on the laptop with ease.

As Darkedge said about HP have had the tablet touchscreen working perfectly as well so MSI are on to a true winning combination here without a stupid smartphone OS to restrict it.

17. The_Jonas

The_Jonas \m/

So something finally happens in the country where I live and I didn't even know such an event was taking place, great... -.-

18. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Interesting... I would love to see MeeGo on these devices, and seeing as intel is a major contributor to both projects, it may well happen. This is a new class of device and it needs an OS that it completely tailored to make the most of its capabilities while minimizing its shortcomings. Win 7 is not that OS and neither is Android, IMO

19. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

There are far more lightweight, appropriate OSs available. Windows is designed for more powerful machines, I can only vouch for XP + Atom performance though. Maybe 7 + Atom is far better. AFAIK, Apple's OS doesn't suffer from something similar to 'Windows Rot' either, after a few months my netbook struggled to play CS 1.6 smoothly.

Tags: Add Tags