1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals 24" Monitor dilemma

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 19 May 2010.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I posted a while back about looking to purchase a 24" 1920x1200 monitor.

If I wanted to go a 1920x1080 monitor then there are plenty of well reviewed models at the price I want but good 1920x1200's seem more hard to find.

I've been toying with the idea and saying balls to it and getting either the Dell U2410 or the HP LP2475w due to their excellent panels.

The thing I need to know is do I really need such an excellent panel for gaming and web surfing.

I mean I could go and buy the Samsung 2443BW for £210 and probably be happy with it.

Viewing angles and colour representation seem to be the big differences but its just for gaming and I sit directly in front of my screen so are these improvements really that important for me to the tune of an extra £200.

Help me make up my mind :)

2. Zaim

Zaim Minimodder

Hi, how about something like this: its a 26" one though:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/26-i...920x1200-40001-ACR-300cd-m-5-ms-Speakers-VESA

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Thanks

Yeh looked at that one a few times as well.

PCPro award winner, quite an old model I believe but so is the 2443BW I think.

Its just the whole viewing angle and colour reprisentation thing that gets me wondering, don't wanna go out and buy a cheaper TN panel and then spend the whole life of the monitor wondering if I should have spent that bit extra.

4. Windfaller

Windfaller What's a Dremel?

I have the U2410, and its excellent. Its looks great, and although it can sometimes be missed when playing fast paced games, it adds a whole new depth to scenery and the like. Upgrading from a TN panel, its strikingly vivid. My advice would be to get this sort of panel if you think you will appreciate the depth it offers, because it works perfectly well for everything.

5. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

If you're going to do that, buy a 2343BW for £160 and be even happier.

6. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

I made a move to IPS several months ago and I never looked back, not even at the price since I spent $600 CAD on a refurb 30" monitor which has no problems at all.

On several web paged now I reliase that some parts are actually color gradients not solid colors lol. Color banding really makes color gradients suck on TN. IPS is the way to go.

I have this desktop background which I now know to be a sunset with rich colors of reds and orange which I thought was a sunrise before since it was just bright backlight and no color, it looked only yellow on the TN monitor. Differece is pretty dramatic.

The only thing I can say about IPS monitors is the lack of 120hz flavor. I don't really care yet since at 2560x1600 resolution a 5970 can only really do 60FPS anyway.

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Right my mind is made up it has to be one of the better panelled monitors.

Now my decision lies between the Dell U2410 or the HP LP2475w.

Is there much between them, does one have advantages over the other.

I'm leaning towards the dell but I can bag the HP for £395.

....and yes I've read the reviews here.

8. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

I have the Dell U2410 and its amazing. Best screen I have owned by a mile. From memory from when I was looking the HP is slightly newer but they are both pretty much as good as the other. I will just tell you some things about my Dell.

The good points
    - Amazing picture brightness and contrast. Blacks are true black and whites are stunning.
    - brilliant viewing angles, infact perfect. Can see great from all angles
    - Amazing flexibility, the stand twists, raises and is perfect

There are probably more good points but I have to admit I dont do anything to "push" screens but HD movies and games are simply breathtaking.

Bad Points
    - Not actually HD
    - Can get a little warm. Not hot but touching the back of the panel and its warm to the touch, warmer than any other panel I have had
    - Menus are not the nicest but easy enough to use if a bit fiddly

Okay now the reason I went for the dell over the HP was simple. I bought mine brand new for £240 + postage. It was a dell "reject" as the stand had a little chip of paint missing so managed to get it very cheap. I think I posted in your previous thread but I would suggest you look on ebay as there are a lot of brand new ones there (of both makes) cheap.

So I hope that helps you

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'd bite someones arm off to get a U2410 at that price, couldn't gives an owls hoot about a chipped stand :)

10. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

:) yeah I bit his arm off for it at that price. Otherwise I was going to go for the 23Inch that custom PC reccomends. I will ask my friend and see if he knows of any more chipped stands. the other option is to look on ebay for "display" stands that are used in computer shops. So have been used but not extensivly

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh been ebaying everyday to see if any bargains appear.

Oh forgot to ask, I keep seeing some U2410's described as Rev 01 is there several versions and which is the best one to get.

12. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

good luck. I would go for whatever is cheaper to be honest as either will be a great monitor. Just Dell have a better reputation for it than HP.

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I love my U2410, but I still lust for the U2711

Good luck finding the right monitor

14. Raptorex

Raptorex What's a Dremel?

If you have your monitor far back on your desk and you tend to slouch back in your chair when on your PC, a 26" / 27" or higher would be recommended, 1920 x 1200/1080 on a 24" at that distance seems a bit too small. Maybe im just getting used to all the huge HDTV's around the house lol

15. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm sat about 2 feet away so 24" is gonna be ideal for me, I have a 22" now and its big enough as it is really but 24" is gonna be even nicer.

16. mac007

mac007 What's a Dremel?

Have had my Dell V2400W for a couple years now - colours are still amazing - only complaint is that when I boot up I get a purple line on the left hand side - still under 5 yr warranty so need to get it sent in. Believe service is good - so probably would recommend you go for the Dell.

17. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i have the HP

they are exactly the same panel so it depends which casing/firmware you prefer really. one thing i would say is its fairly easy to find 10-15% discount from HP with the added bonus you are buying direct.

well done on the decision to go with quality though, cant really say much more than has been said here but you'll realise you've been missing picture quality all your life. also make sure you get a colour profile to load up from tftcentral as this makes things much more natural.

18. The_Schmit

The_Schmit I appreciate D12s

Ok, an odd question, but how much impact would the firmware difference between the quality of visuals on the panels?

19. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Right now I'm really stumped.

Been reading about there being differences in revisions on the U2410 with some issue of colour tinges and there is also an issue with the HP using both H-IPS and the lesser S-IPS.

Why arent these things ever simple. I just want a decent monitor thats right from the start.

20. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

if you dig hard enough you will always find issues.... most the time its unlikely you will notice them