1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Gaming PC - £1500 Budget

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xpronic, 17 May 2010.

1. xpronic

xpronic What's a Dremel?

Budget: I have £1500 to spend right now, can't go over, rest for holiday lols. The budget is for a completely new system including a monitor.

Main uses of intended build: PC will be used mainly for gaming, video editing (game montages), and media play back.

Parts required: Everything, including a monitor.

Previous build information (list details of parts): Using a laptop atm, so no.

Monitor resolution: Ideally 1920 x 1200.

Storage requirements: 500gb.

Will you be overclocking: Yes.

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Nothing special needed.

Extra information about desired system: I'm not one for upgrading every 12-18 months, so ideally, the system should be able to last me 3-4 years. :)

2. shadow19935

shadow19935 Whats overclocking? :D

the usual i7 930, 6gb of some corsair ram, HD 5870 probs, gigabyte mobo, 750w corsair or silverstone psu, case (whatever you like), noctua d14 cpu cooler does well fine for me. coupel of hard drives, samsung 24" monitor ( roughly £170)

3. shah

shah Minimodder

4. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

^ That.

With a case that suites you better - recommend a Coolermaster Stacker, Antec 1200 etc.

Change PSU for this

Titan fenrir cooler.

Motherboard, I'd still go instead for a Asus PT6 (Deluxe) instead of the Gigabyte though. Maybe a cheaper SDD too.

PS: You want to go for an eyefinity based gaming set up or sticking to the one 24" monitor? just to throw it in there. If so, maybe better redesigning for a i7 860 set up (as really with that/i5750 4gbDDR3 your not going to see that much difference in terms of gaming preformance - doubt the video editing so drastically too heavy either.

5. xpronic

xpronic What's a Dremel?

Any suggestions on a good 24" gaming monitor? I'm looking at ordering the Dell UltraSharp 24" U2410. I use one at work, and it's great, but I'm not sure if it's any good for gaming. :confused:

Thanks for the link, dunno how I missed that lol. Is a SSD really needed? I won't bother with the sound card, since it's not going to be used as a htpc.

Sticking with a single monitor. Don't have the funds for 2 more, and I want to get the system up and running asap. :D

6. shah

shah Minimodder

Well personally I would not buy a SSD as they are very expensive . I will stick with a Samsung F3 1TB and it serves the purpose nicely.

I never buy a sound card either the built in one is just fine :D.

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

From where?

8. xpronic

xpronic What's a Dremel?

Yes I would also like to know from where, model number too please. I've ordered everything needed for the new build thanks to the help from you guys, just need to decide on what monitor to get. I don't want to order one only to return it because it's no good for gaming. :(

9. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Totally up to you, but try to get an IPS panel since they last longer in the sense that your buying a 24" with a good resolution, so you want to have good colour reproduction. Ignore "gaming" monitor's, the 2ms response time is a lie.

I'm using the VX2260wm, which is a cheap 22" TN panel, and believe me an IPS whacks this out the water. Since you have a big budget remember that your going to staring at the monitor for long periods of time so don't skimp on getting the cheapest you can get.

10. somewhereoveryonda

somewhereoveryonda You'll never know when to buy!

I'm coming up to my clear out, which is about ever 4 years too. I'm looking at:

HXUK 850W corsair- pleanty power, aint goin out of fashion any time soon
    Asus PT6D Premium/ or the gig recommended in the buyers guide
    3 gigs of DDR3 at 1600
    i7 930
    Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB
    Waiting on the new GTX 460/465
    and the Titan fenrir evo
    Case may b a corsair 800d
    no idea on screen

A bit of advice though: some parts you'll buy will last.. spend more on them!

11. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I'd run far far away from that nVidia card. Also, why waste money on an over-powered PSU?

12. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

decide how you want to view first, 1 monitor, 2 or even 3...
    if one then ips, do you want 3d? if do then the acer - if you want multi monitor then a cheapo

go for the intell i5 rather than the 930 it'll be faster in most cases - get 4 gig memory (3 gig is to little if you want 930 then 6 gig)

13. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

It seems to me that there is really only one viable specification for this price range.
    Core i7 930
    Asus P6TD Deluxe
    6Gb Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
    Corsair H50 Cpu cooler
    Antec 1200
    Asus HD 5870 1Gb
    Corsair HX650W
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb
    Dell U2410

14. xpronic

xpronic What's a Dremel?

Well I've done some further reading, gone to a few stores to test the monitors and I've decided to go with the Dell U2410, since I don't need 3D and I won't be using eyefinity.

All my parts arrived this morning (unpacking atm!), now I just have wait for the monitor from Dell. :D

15. somewhereoveryonda

Well I've read a few reviews and it seems to look strong. If I buy that now it should last this build and another upgrade so it'll save on a new psu next time around. If I decided in two years that the sli drivers had booked their ideas up then the gpu would be cheap enough to buy a second then too hopefully... while on the gpu topic.. why steer away? do you think it'll be too hot and not too OC 'able?

16. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Sigh, wish I had that sort of budget in one go!

With any budget over a grand I think all AMD systems are considered redundant, so my expertise ends there I guess...

be interested to know what monitor at 1900x1200 people come up with, I'm looking for one myself.

17. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

No, all the indications are it will be very bad value for money. Same power as 5770 yet same price as 5850, thats the nVidia way at the moment.

18. somewhereoveryonda

hmm.. Depends on how much it's going to be I guess. I've seen it for anything between 200 and 250. It couldn't be 5770 power.. That would fall far short of where it should lie! Infact.. that is less powerfull than your single 260! (I like your specs by the way) I'd say more GTX 285 power.. Then it would follow the trend of new mid range = old top range.

19. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments regarding the rig - but despite the power I have, all I still see the flaws! Like I couldn't get my overclock stable at reasonable temps with HT, so I had to disable it. And my custom painted case has some scratches, and my configuration is noisy, etc etc!

20. mac007

mac007 What's a Dremel?

Would recommend using the spec in Custom PC's reviews - components are up to date and they are rated. Shop around, but would buy online - Scan is probably the best bet - pretty much have all the components, good service, and see if you've done your 20 posts free delivery.