1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win7 OEM Vs Retail

Discussion in 'Software' started by dave_c, 10 May 2010.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

hey, im upgrading to ahem "official" windows, i wanna get Ultimate 64bit but there is a huge prices dfferance between OEM and Retail, usually i believe OEM just mean no box or gadgets but do i lose anything important with the OEM version in the case of win 7?

thanks for any help you can give

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

OEM windows will be tied to your hardware - if you want to move it to a different computer or upgrade too many main components it will not activate.

3. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

thats all i needed to know, thanks dragunov, much apreciated

4. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

Just something to save you some money, do you really need Ultimate? Home Premium does me just fine, and if your that fussed about XP mode and a couple of network options then there's Professional.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've lost count of amount of times this questions been asked, Retail 64 bit is the best option you will be able to upgrade or move it to the next computer without any problems with activation.
    It just a matter of choosing the best version to suit your needs.

6. Iorek

Iorek What's a Dremel?

So long as you buy the OEM version with A piece of hardware, so long as the 2 parts stay together you are fine - some companies get around this by giving you a "free" kettle lead with your OEM CD/DVD.

7. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

Always try and buy retail, with OEM if you want to upgrade/replace your motherboard you're screwed.

8. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

your not screwed cause MS cant foresee a motherboard failure which happens.

all it takes is a phone call to MS to say im not a pirate please activate it. This will work providing you dont abuse it cause they will catch on.

9. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

I phoned MS when I upgraded my motherboard. Took a few minutes on the phone and my OEM Win7 was re-activated on new motherboard.

10. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I've done so many installations with OEM. Save that extra £20 and treat yourself to Batman Arkham Asylum (if you don't have it already )

11. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

UNless you're a student, or are a parent (or god forbid know anyine who will qualify and get it for you)

Windows 7 Professional £33 (retail upgrade, but can double install trick lmgtfy)
    the only difference is bit-locker and 35 languages....

12. mac007

mac007 What's a Dremel?

Don't waste your money on the packaging - go with OEM. I have used it for Vista and Windows 7 now - same features except the flashy box.

13. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

er your not paying for a "flashy box" with retail

your paying for the type of license; OEM (hardware tied) or retail (hardware unlocked)

They are exactly the same version of windows with all the trimmings just different license agreement between you and MS

14. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Retail or OEM depends on how much you may be upgrading. YOu should think about that before you buy.

Also, I agree that Ultimate is likely to be too much unless you have a specific use for Ultimate only features like frequently changing your mind about what language you speak ;)

Otherwise, Home Premium or Professional would probably be best.

15. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

From my experience, you only run into the hardware issue if you don't do a fresh install when you change your motherboard (bad idea in any event). I think you can do 1-2 activations a year on an OEM key (I assume this is to account for reinstalls / repairs), so just plan your upgrades accordingly.

16. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

thanks for all the advice, i eventually went for the 7 ultimate retail,
    this was mainly because im more used to ult at work and it saves faffing :D also i do upgrade quite alot so again saves the hastle.

sorry, i know this question has probably been over asked, but iv seen so many conflicting answers that i wasn't sure who to believe :)

i really appreciate the help, thanks all