1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice It is worth waiting until June?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ahodder, 21 May 2010.

1. ahodder

ahodder What's a Dremel?

Hi

I am building myself a new pc really using the Bit-tech buyers guide as a start and adjusting to my needs.

I was planning on waiting until the June release to see if there is any new hardware coming out that will make it worth the wait.

Does anyone know of any new hardware coming out that will be worth the wait or should I just press on with my build.

Also any advice on the build itself will be appreciated.

Thanks

CPU 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7-920
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    Memory OCZ 6gb 1600 Gold
    Graphics Card XFX ATI Radeon HD 5830
    PSU Chieftec A-135 Series 750W
    CPU Cooler Titan Fenrir
    Case Antec Sonata Elite
    Optical drives LG SATA DVD-RW
    Samsung BluRay Sata
    Storage 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3

2. GandalfDDUK

GandalfDDUK What's a Dremel?

Looks pretty good set up to me, if I was you I would press on with the majority of it and maybe hang back on the graphics card, as intels Fenrir cards should start to come soon, not only that but some prices are starting to creep back up again.

3. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Say what? :eyebrow:

I think you may be getting three products mixed up there.

To the OP, looks like a sound build, i might change the PSU to a slightly better brand and swap the 5830 for a 5850.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

do as you say, better brand PSU and the 5830 isn't worth is as far as I've heard. 5850 is the min.

5. ahodder

ahodder What's a Dremel?

Thanks so far

Thanks for the advice so far. Much appreciated.

I'm building the pc mainly as a product designer - I do play games on pc but it's not my main focus. I need a graphics card that can do some powerful rendering, CAD and graphics work.

Is it worth me buying the 5850 or should I skimp out and get the 5770 if that will be good enough for my needs?

6. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Just about everything is accounted for at this point - the nvidia Fermi cards are out, plenty of SSD ranges, there's bucketloads of DX11 cards, platter-based drives are cheap as chips, we've seen the intel 6-core socket 1366 direction as well as their value i3's etc. No need to wait around.

Intel did release the i7-930 recently - so a newer revision of the 920 that's worth looking at. It's 133Mhz faster out of the box - but more interesting is the increased overclocking headroom, if you're planning to overclock. Unfortunately the 930 is sitting £50+ more expensive right now so might not be worth it unless you have money to burn - that should come down a bit before long.

The only thing I would have really watched out for would have been future proofing with USB 3.0 and SATA 6G, but you have that under control with your GA-X58A-UD3R. I'd also plump for the 5850 if you can afford it, but then who doesn't want a faster graphics card? I spotted a 5830 on scan.co.uk for £170 - pretty decent at that price but really this card is only a 15%ish faster than the 5770 that can be picked up for £115ish. Depends what resolution you want to game at really ... broadly speaking I think the 5850 is about 20-25% faster than the 5830 and is what I'd recommend.

For the PSU, I'd be tempted to get something that's been thoroughly tested by custom PC recently - the Antec TruePower 650w would be more than enough for this rig. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-117-AN.

Last edited: 22 May 2010
  7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Xonar, Bloody_Pete and roosauce are spot on.

There's no major technology releases planned for a while, so buy now.

8. ahodder

ahodder What's a Dremel?

Thanks so far again

Thanks for the advice so far. Much appreciated.

I'm building the pc mainly as a product designer - I do play games on pc but it's not my main focus. I need a graphics card that can do some powerful rendering, CAD and graphics work.

Is it worth me buying the 5850 or should I skimp out and get the 5770 if that will be good enough for my needs?

Sorry this message is repeated from above as it did not get approved until after some of the other posts.

9. GandalfDDUK

GandalfDDUK What's a Dremel?

Well spotted, it was getting late, I meant Fermi

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

all the 920 can do 3.8ghz with ease (over that i cant get any of my systems stable) no point in buying 930 it unless your wanting an little bit better oc

never heard of that PSU before, i use only thermaltake toughpower PSUs my self

5850 is the better buy over the 5830

11. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

Get a better brand psu (though it's no garuntee- my corsair blew up within one month of purchase!)

as has been mentioned don't bother with the 5830 - go for a 5850.

There are no major product releases coming up that I am aware of. Maybe it is worth waiting just to save up a bit more cash?

12. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

Have you considered using an SSD as your main boot drive if it's in your budget?
    As above the 5850 would definitely be a better buy than the 5830. Mind you personally, I would hang back a few months on the graphics card purchase if you can as there will be a few a few more fermi cards out that may hopefully lower the price of the ati cards or be better themselves!

13. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

you mean better fermi cards i mean the 470 gtx is a epic fail.....but i would go for a core i7 920 a 5850 and a nice ssd mayb intel or ocz brand for a boot drive and a good cooler that is cheap is the coolermaster hyper 212 plus

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Buy sooner rather than later - memory prices will only increase this year as they have done for the last 12 months.

Reason: The pound is in the *******. Taiwan dollar:GBP was 65:1 in 2007, 60:1 2008, 53:1 last year and now barely 45:1. Euro is barely scraping 40:1.

Only one IC company is increasing supply, none others are, and more are pushing to make NAND not DRAM which means less supply = higher cost.

15. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Oh great! I'm looking to start a new project and memory prices are on the up again:waah:

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

They've been on the up for 2 years! Pay attention! :)

17. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Over the last few months prices dropped, by up to £20 in some cases , I picked up my G-Skill for about £15 less than it was at Christmas and I've see ddr2@800mhz for as low as £54, where as a while back you'd have been looking at £75.

18. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

Ah! I'd forgotten about the memory price increases... Maybe buy the ddr3 memory now and story them away =P But you never now, with the new government and it's measures we may see an strengthening in the pound... but then again maybe not =P

19. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Intels Fermi?

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Stop knocking Chieftec as if it was in the same category as those 10-quid LED fan wonders you see on amazon sometimes. It's a decent non-enthusiast brand of PSU, i've used it a lot in builds i did for other people when something like a Corsair was out of the question.