1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC Power & Cooling finally launches new PSUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I have no intention of passing comment until we see reliability and voltage testing.

3. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

Ohhh very nice. PC Power & Cooling PC's are the best! Albeit expensive. I have one running in my pc for years and it is running brilliantly! Silent and all. Now that they have moved from the 80mm fan does this mean the PSU is shorter than the previous PSU's? Only reason I ask was because the gap between the fan and the pcb was all part of the marketing for having a quieter PSU.

4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

I'm interested to see the testing too, mostly because I've lost focus of where the PSU state of the art is. I do sorely need to upgrade my PSU if I'm going to upgrade my other parts, but was holding off as I'd not like to scrap my homemade modular cable setup for a premade one.

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Now waiting for jonnyguru to have a crack at them, to see if the mighty has fallen, or has returned triumphant.

6. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

Huh? That's complete nonsense. Where did you hear that? Not only is PCP&C not a PSU manufacturer and has never been, but the EliteXStream line was also manufactured by Impervio, which is an OEM that never had a working relationship with PCP&C.
    Sirfa/High Power.
    It's a pretty safe bet there won't be one.

7. phantombudgie

phantombudgie What's a Dremel?

Er, excuse me? You are not seriously expecting a clear, coherent marketing claim?

8. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

It seems like PCP&C have lost their niche edge. What's so special about 80+ Silver hardware now? I'd have preferred to see an entire range of 80+ Gold PSUs that deliver, across the entire range of products, without compromise. They were always expensive, but people paid it for the quality.

The PSU market's a different place now-a-days. There's good quality hardware everywhere! The bar has risen and PCP&C seem to be sat where they were 8 years ago. Not good!

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OCZ told me straight to my face.

PCPC designed (or OCZ used PCPC dseigns) the internals of the old Elite series.

10. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

Then they were lying straight to your face. PCP&C has never designed a PSU. They rebrand designs from other OEMs. The Silencer line was manufactured by Seasonic and the Turbo-cool line was manufactured by Win-tact. Like I said before, the EliteXStream line was manufactured by Impervio, an OEM which has never had a relationship with PCP&C. I suspect the OCZ rep was just making things up to try and give you a better impression of the EliteXStream units (which were indeed quite good, although they had a design flaw which led to early failure).

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It doesnt matter whether they had a relationship or not, OCZ could have given Impervio the specs. May I ask where you are basing your information from?

12. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

They could have specified some of the components, certainly, but that is a far cry from designing an entire PSU. Unless you're implying that they gave Impervio the design, which is a somewhat absurd notion and is also most certainly not the case.

My information is based on having read many PSU reviews, discussions about various PSUs, different OEMs, the industry, etc. I've done my research. Feel free to post on the forums over at JonnyGURU.com and I'm sure that you'll get replies from a bunch of other people backing up what I have said.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's somewhat harsh and boarderline flameworthy don't you think?

It's just a discussion, and I'm only going on what I've been told. There's no need to be a dick about it.

14. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I don't mean to flame you. I was just a little surprised and my comments came out the wrong way. My point is just that PCP&C had nothing to do with the design of the EliteXStream PSUs, and that OCZ rep was either misinformed or was misleading you. It doesn't surprise me, since I've seen similar ridiculous comments coming from OCZ reps elsewhere, but I wouldn't trust anything they say about this sort of thing unless it's backed up both by an actual engineer working for PCP&C or OCZ and by a third-party source who knows what they're talking about.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Fair enough.

In my defence the people I know/knew at OCZ were actually always pretty reliable before :eek:

I dont review PSUs anyway these days, so it's not like I care :p /hugs two X-Series PSUs

16. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

It's certainly not your fault that you were misled. I personally just suggest that in the future, you check up on marketing claims like this before you write about them. The PSU market is surprisingly full of misinformation, and PCP&C is especially not new to that (if you aren't aware of the whole thing with their PSU Myths page and its mysterious disappearance right around the initial reveal of the Silencer MKII line, you should check out that story).

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you check the waybackmachine that records internet history - according to that the Myths page was pulled a year or two ago (I forget) :confused: It has quite consistent updates to that point. Unless, the webpage where it was stored changed.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

I swear I put it in the article :( Oh well.

I'll remove the bit about EliteXStream now..

18. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

Well, the 'story' is that the myths page actually contained a lot of false and inaccurate information, about such things as single rails being better than multiple rails, 80mm fans being better than top-mounted 120mm fans in PSUs, and modular cables having a significant detrimental effect on voltage regulation, all of which are completely untrue. As you can see, the Silencer MKII line uses top-mounted 135mm fans, which directly contradicts one of the claims made on the myths page. At the same time they were first revealed to the public (January of this year if I remember correctly), they completely removed the myths page from their website.

In effect, PCP&C made a bunch of false claims, and once they introduced a line of PSUs that directly contradicted one of those claims, instead of correcting the information, they just removed it and pretended that it never existed at all.

19. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

+1

Like really, for them to have been a high brand to release only Silver plus feels they don't have their act together anymore.

20. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

PCP&C hasn't been a top of the line brand for years. The only surprising things with the Silencer MKII line are that they've actually started using 135mm fans, and that they've switched from Seasonic to Sirfa as their OEM (not a positive change).

Tags: Add Tags