1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel launches new CULV chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 May 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Sod the Atom, this is what we want to see!

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Now if we can get rid of the Atom and ensure that all ultraportables have CULVs...

Once we fix that pricing issue, we're golden, these things are much faster.

4. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Sounds a good move :) I think new, lower power chips would do well compared to the atom.

5. shadows

shadows What's a Dremel?

I was planning on getting a netbook before I go back to University, think I'll wait until the first CULV powered netbooks start hitting the shelves!

They are much quicker then the atom processor! Might even make a small nettop server worth while.

6. carajp

carajp What's a Dremel?

I loved my Netbook... it was so cute, so dinky. It was great! Well, at least until I switched it on.....

I put up with its agonising slowness for a year (and learned in the process that I never ever only do one thing at a time in front of a PC - when did that happen?? ;)) And then I traded it in for an Asus CULV. This was the best computing decision I made for some time. It's a whole infinity better than a netbook, even if the benchmarks only say 2x - 3x as fast.

..but it's still not perfect. It's 1/2kg heavier than the Netbook and I wish it wasn't. It's a little slower than my old "ordinary" laptop and I wish it wasn't. So I'll be watching closely what comes from these new chips!

Caroline

7. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Excellent news, although I guess the price will be a step up from the current i range of mobile cpu's that I'm currently looking at. Would be nice to get a netbook size device based on one of these, the integrated graphics would probably be enough to run one of the dual screen netbooks that have been banded around recently.

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I always found CULV to be a much more value solution than Atom.

It's only a tad heavier - I find it feels more solid and expensive that way - instead of the current generation of plasticky netbooks (I still have a soft spot for HP's 2140 Mini - that guy was solid!) and as long as I knew that I was using a CULV, I never felt that it was too slow, and too weak. If I wanted more grunt I should have gone for the M11x.

9. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Atom on an XP equipped netbook feels alot faster then it really is when doing regular desktop usage. Its only when you start running any CPU heavy applications that it shows its true nature and you're left waiting, alot.

Unless you're using Vista or loading up your machine with too many apps/services, I don't see why anyone would complain about Atom performance for regular netbook usage.

Now if you're using this as your main PC and trying to do various CPU intensive tasks, CULV or better is a must but then you never should have bought a netbook to begin with.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well on Atom, you are seriously limited to 1 task.

11. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Aren't the power draws of these chips a little high for slates? I think current Atom platform still has a lower power draw as well. That said this will still be awesome for CULV notebooks.

12. Goty

Goty Minimodder

These will be great, but I think I'll go with my Turion II K625 when Dell finally brings the M301z stateside.

13. Abdul Hadi

Abdul Hadi Technically, I wanna be tim!

Intel always proportional in benefits. E.g.

Core2duo 40% faster, 40%energy efficient,

and now precisely 32% advantages?????????????? There marketing department sure looks Proportional to the advantages. Like they count the % of profit gains from last year.

Anyone thought about that??????????????

14. Faiakes

Faiakes What's a Dremel?

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

+1
    Why have a hideously under powerd Atom when you can have one of these? (apart from the price obviously :sigh: )

Tags: Add Tags