1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC Power & Cooling finally launches new PSUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 May 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well, I would be hesitant to say FALSE claims before putting it in context. They were, to some extent applicable when they first invented them several years ago when all the current technology we take for granted was in its infancy. These days, yes, it does not apply and PCPC should be man enough to have admitted it - even in 2008 when we interviewed Doug-D he still stuck to his guns about it, only partially softening to a modular design.

But if I'm still uncertain WHEN exactly the page was pulled: you say January, but I have only found evidence of far further back than that. It's still not good that in 2007/2008/2009 they were pimping those as "how a PSU should be" but you have to admit so many fanboys had lapped it up, they probably felt they had to stick to it. Either way, it's a PR ****up.

EDIT: ACTUALLY. The CTO himself confirmed PCPC worked with OCZ on the design for the EliteXStream 800 and 1000W PSUs:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2008/05/03/interview-with-pc-powers-doug-dodson/1

So I'm not completely barmy, that's from the horses mouth!

I doubt Doug even gives a **** anymore, he's made his money selling the company and god knows what's happening behind closed doors with OCZ and PCPC. Financially speaking, the things I have heard out here in Taiwan are not too good: they didn't initiate the switch from Seasonic. It wasn't a PCPC decision, Seasonic kicked them out. OCZ burnt too many bridges in Taiwan for not paying bills in terms of memory (ICs, heatspreaders, pcbs) and PSUs (I dont know about NAND), so I wonder if the recent investment can really save them.

2. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

The three things I mentioned specifically are patently false. Single-rail PSUs are technically inferior to multi-rail designs for safety reasons (lower OCP set points for multi-rail units prevent shorts leading to melting insulation/fires), larger fans when used with properly-designed PSUs will push more air and provide better cooling than 80mm fans as any PC enthusiast knows, and modular cables introduce so little resistance into the circuit as to be insignificant, especially since PSUs will just compensate for any voltage drop with their voltage regulation circuitry. The only claim that had some merit was the single-rail one, but that's just because earlier PSUs didn't have their rails balanced properly. That hasn't been an issue with quality enthusiast-targeted multi-rail PSUs for years.
    Like I said, I don't remember exactly when it was pulled, but I can tell you for certain that it happened right when the first Silencer MKII pictures were released. It was still around when the Silencer 910W was put out to market, and that was just last year.
    He said that, but it's not true. The extent of PCP&C's involvement in the design of the EliteXStream line would have been in component selection and perhaps the selection of which platform to use at the most, but as far as the actual design of the PSU, that is completely the work of the OEM that manufactured it.

I've heard conflicting things about the motivation behind the OEM switch. Some say that PCP&C's contract expired and OCZ didn't want to continue the partnership with Seasonic, and others say that PCP&C/OCZ screwed Seasonic over and they cut ties. I'm inclined to believe the latter, considering the fact that Silencer-branded PCBs have ended up in Seasonic-made XFX PSUs.

Last edited: 25 May 2010
  3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I just don't care about non modular PSUs. It's just stupid having all those cables hang around just because the marketing division has decided that having extra connectors will ruin the gaming experience.

4. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I actually prefer non modular PSU's, but that's mostly because I'm a cheapskate and tend to ziptie the unused cable neatly.

5. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I just liked them b/c they always worked great for years on end. I have 5 or so of their psus lying around that date back almost 10 years and they are all running great.

6. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Yeup, I don't care about modular PSUs. It's never been a problem to have some extra cables in the past, and it'll never be a problem in the future.

Most people who think modular is such a big deal I would assume have not really built systems much, first time builders who buy into the marketing and think its actually hard to tuck a few cables.

7. SuiSid3l

SuiSid3l What's a Dremel?

So basically what your saying is he actually talked to PCP&C's CTO and your calling them both liars based on some forum posts and reviews you've read? Did I miss something?

"My information is based on having read many PSU reviews, discussions about various PSUs, different OEMs, the industry, etc. I've done my research. Feel free to post on the forums over at JonnyGURU.com and I'm sure that you'll get replies from a bunch of other people backing up what I have said.

How does your research trump what they say about their own company?

8. SuiSid3l

SuiSid3l What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry but its completely uncalled for unless you or your sources are prepared to throw out some credentials that would give you any credibility over the tech officer of the company.

9. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

No, I'm not calling Rich a liar, since he was just repeating what he was told. I am calling Doug Dodgson a liar, or at least a purveyor of incomplete truths, because what he said was not accurate.
    Because they have a history of not telling the truth about their own products. Just because they generally have released quality PSUs doesn't mean they aren't guilty of making false claims. I've already put forward the old PSU Myths page as a perfect example of why you can't trust everything that comes out of PCP&C unless it's been verified by an external source.

10. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Yo Bit-Tech I'm building a Core i7 + DX11 C.rossfire system and I need you to do a PSu vs PSu review so I can buy the best PSu out.

Modular of course as I don't won't 50 million cables strangling my Air set up

11. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

Modular .. Modular , Modular is a IDIOTIC and STUPID PSU feature ,I Swear I will NEVER EVER buy a Modular PSU , I dont need modular PSU

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jun 2010
  12. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

:thumb: I Totally AGREE :thumb:, Modular PSU feature is a STUPID feature

13. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags