1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: Games will set the standard for 3D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 May 2010.

1. Skippylee

Skippylee Now then!

Yeah, that's how they work. I have a 3D monitor and you set a key to toggle 3D on and off. If I play single player games I normally play in 3D - Bioshock 2 looked great! But if I play online its normally in 2D.

2. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

This technology works for me and none of the goggle techs do. I've tried the original GeForce 3 active glasses and both the active and passive technologies that are currently available at the likes of i-series (and cinema), nothing.

But as I understand it Johnny Lee (the guy in that video) got hire by MS and the result is Natal so I'm kinda optimistic about where the x-box is going at the moment.

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Super Stardust is being made in 3D? Bloody hell...

4. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Spot on

It'll also shove costs up and production values down.

It's a pointless gimmick in an attempt to sell more tv's / monitors now most people have updated from crt tv's.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Dear Sony, Microsoft

**** off telling us what we're going to do.

signed - Gamers

6. Xir

Xir Modder

I'm afraid 3D is not the way to go, but like "high gloss monitors" it's beeing massively pushed. :grr:

Clash of the Titans wasn't a good movie in 2D...3D doesn't help then :D

I've watched Avatar in 2D and 3D...in 3D it was good, but the edges of the field of view were blurry.
    I would have to sit further away in 3D than in 2D.

Tried gaming in 3D with shutterglasses, the initial effect is great, but i got sick of it within half an hour.
    Headache, then Eye-strain then motion sickness (each after about 10 mins in this sequence)

7. salesman

salesman Minimodder

8. luna

luna What's a Dremel?

What about us poor buggers who have really bad eyes and cant watch 3D movies let alone play games?? looks like I might have to take up scrabble...

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I'm really surprised at the negativity towards 3D gaming here. I dont wear glasses and i have found the 3D experience so far has been great, no eye strain or nausea at all. Eurogamer has had a few previews of Sony's 3D system and they have been very positive so far. They said it transforms driving games making the in car view the preferred option and its much easier to judge cornering and breaking zones. They also had a demo of Killzone 3 in 3D and again were very positive about the benefits of 3D.

I think Sony are correct that gamers will be the drivers of 3D adoption. look at how much PC gamers are prepared to spend on hardware and i think games will take advantage of the benefits before the film industry will.

10. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Yeah I can definitely see the advantage there.

I guess I'm just a little skepitical since I wear glasses and so it can be annoying to where 3D glasses too, especially when I have experienced nausea when watching 3D films.

Plus it sometimes seems like it's been forced on us (e.g. some films only being shown in 3D even though the 2D version exists) despite it being more expensive, etc.

I can see its benefits though.

11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Joy, I only have 1 working eye. Can all this 3D stuff just go away now :waah:

I think most of us who have issues with it are, like tristanperry says, annoyed that it's being forced on us. There are some recent films I haven't been able to watch yet as they've only come out as 3D which will be completely pointless for me.

12. dillingerdan

dillingerdan What's a Dremel?

Another successful diagnosis from House!

Anyway... Apparently 3D gaming is a MUCH more convincing effect than 3D film, mostly probably due to (upto Avatar) being converted to 3D rather than filmed specifically for it. But still, I am not a nay-sayer, I am willing to give it a try. I mean most of us here will be willing to try new tech no doubt since we all keep up with our PC stuff, and it's this platform which will yield the best results, since we can have the effect at little cost of resolution with enough GPU power.

13. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

The next thing we know, the US congressmen will complain about how lifelike gaming has became again...

14. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Can't wait, well I can as I can't afford, but having read a lot pf the preview stuff over the past year this is going to have a bigger impact on a game than some things brought in, but hey what do I know i bought a Physx card too....I'll just buy whatever they tell me too :lol: :p

But seriously I was quite impressed with Avatar in 3D, it wasn't over done and seemed to add great depth in places, even managed to forget I was watching a 3D film till I was trying to swat some bugs that were flying around me from the film :eek:

16. djab

djab What's a Dremel?

"Personally, we're already quite sick of this new 3D trend and would far rather forego the limitations of the technology and the headaches that come along with it, but Sony has invested in it regardless. You can check out our look at Nvidia's 3D effort, 3DVision, for more of our thoughts"

Wow, as Da_Rude_Baboon, I'm too really surprised at the negativity towards 3D gaming here, in the article and in lots of the comments.

Joe, you were one of the writers of the "Nvidia's 3D effort, 3DVision" article and you seemed quite enthusiastic about the solution at that time. I know that is is a bit annoying to see every companies trying to milk any new idea as their new cash cow and most of them usually tend to only transform good ideas into crap products (ie: third party publishers using Wiimote just to release crap game :( ) .
    Is that what made you sick of stereo 3D ?

For comments and people against Sony putting 3D in PS3 games, just try some 3DVision certified games on PC and you'll see what your are missing.
    Of course it is better with some games than with others as the game as to be designed to take advantage of the stereo 3D.
    Just try some platform games like Assassin's Creed or Prince of Persia. The effect is just incredibly good (even with just some cardboard red/blue glasses :) )
    Just try the demo of Dark Void with the jet pack. I found it only playable with the stereo 3D as only stereo 3D allows you to estimate the distance between you and the enemies/mountains/... around the character.

I have glasses and I have no problem wearing 3D glasses over them.
    Companies like Sony may be pushing the adoption of the tech a bit too hard and there will be some screwing for early adopters like with the HDready TVs that were not FullHD TVs.
    But lots of people have been waiting for good affordable stereo 3D gaming for years and now that the technology is ready to become mainstream, others are spitting on it.
    I can not understand that.
    It is like hating colours and wanting only black and white display/film/game to be made.
    Of course there are people who can not see colours, of course colours do not means that all games/films with colours will be better than black and white games/films. But when used correctly, colours can had a lot to a game/film and so stereo 3D can.

It should not mean that designers will be obliged do stereo 3D. There are still some good black and white films and some good 2D (with no polygons) games made.
    Designer who want to try just have to learn how to take advantage of stereo 3D as they did (and continue to do) with colours, 3D (not stereo), sounds and music, motion sensor, ...
    The only limit should be creativity.
    And if designers manage to use stereo 3D to express new things in games or films (like they do with sounds and music), it would be stupid to stop them from using this tool.

ps: thanks for reading until the end and sorry for those who do not like long comments :)

Last edited: 26 May 2010
  17. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

I already wear glasses and I'm not gonna put another pair over them to play games, and definitely not for watching tv.
    Will it be technically possible in a few years to have 3D without glasses? That would be an improvement.

18. Blassster

Blassster What's a Dremel?

I've had a dizziness problem for 7 years, so I haven't gone to the theatre (large screen) since then. I have to play games on a smaller type of screen <=32" from further away, but even as 2D they get to me. Screw this.

19. enciem

enciem Minimodder

Just a personal thing but wearing the glasses is as embarrassing as having someone come round and see me with a full steering wheel and pedals set up, it's just a bit much.

Whatever happened to that to that 3D TV on Tomorrows World that didn't require glasses, won't be interested until something like that comes along.

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Sony will claim that they set the standard but we all know that p0rn does/did

Tags: Add Tags