1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New Gaming monitor needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by captain caveman, 14 May 2010.

1. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

I have a budget of £450 to buy a new 23/24 inch gaming monitorfor fps games like mw2 bfbc2 . Probably 16.9 and 1920 x1080, but 16:10 is fine also. I have a ati 5870 so 3d is out of the question

I have looked at

dell u2410
    hp zr24w
    nec ea 231wmi... seems slow
    acer gd245hq... hate the colour of the stand
    alienware aw2310... too expensive

All have their merits and flaws but I'm still undecided :wallbash:
    Any advice would be gratefully received.

Last edited: 14 May 2010
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

My vote is for the Dell U2410. I LOVE it. I find it great CRT replacement. The colors are out of this worlds (in sRGB or Adobe RGB) because the monitor has these 2 profile pre-calibrated for you, and can actually output the needed colors. Games looks awesome, you can sit anywhere you want in your room without moving the monitor and you see it perfectly, thanks to the IPS panel. You are packed with connectors and Side-by-side picture in picture which is ideal to have your your gaming and computer side by side or desktop and laptop when you want to transfer files between systems or check something for a moment or others things like that (best used with Win7 as you can zoom in, and be able to read better the text as the picture and picture is a scaled down 1920x1200 resolution)

1920x1200 is what you want... why? because it's the same price as 1920x1080... more pixels, bigger work area, same price.

You also have all the connectors that you can possibly need to plug well basically anything you want. The stand is in solid metal (well the black parts is in plastic used for design, but it's metal under it), and the mechanical system is in metal allowing smooth screen adjustment.

It's near zero backlight bleeding (I call it real 0, because I don't see any one mine unless I boost the screen brightness at 100%, where I go blind by it, in any case.). Which makes movies looks awesome. And you can fun with black color. I put Win7 log-in screen as black. and not only it looks nice, but it looks very nice as you don't have any backlit bleeding.

Anyway, I recommend it, especially if you see it fall under special, which is not rare (well in the U.S and Canada at least).

But if this monitor is ONLY for gaming/movies, then I think you'll get more than what you need... So you might waist your money here.

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

4. mrhrk01

mrhrk01 What's a Dremel?

@Ph4lanx

According to a review(sorry name of site where I read the review has just gone out of my mind) I read earlier today about the Hanns.G HZ281HPB 28" Inch Monitor (which is the same model you have linked to ) it says that this monitor had issues with screen brightness and contrast. As i am also considering this monitor, I would like to ask you what you would feel are the monitor's advantages and disadvantages ?

I look forward to your reply :)

Thanks

5. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

I vote for the dell ultrasharp which is a IPS panel. Much better than TN in terms of viewing angle and color.

The HannsG might have some serious trouble with viewing angles. The monitor edges and corners might have distorted color if you are viewing close since it is a TN panel. I have a 30" IPS and there is still some distortion at the far corners.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

This is a good site to testing many attributes for LCD panels. For large monitors I would say viewing angle becomes very important.

6. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I'm really liking the look of the HP ZR24W. Seems a good price (£330) for a decent quality IPS screen. I'll probably get that myself when the money allows.

7. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

If i were upgrading my monitor I'd get this: Samsung 2443BW

8. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

THe EA231wmi is NOT slow. I needed/wanted a monitor where gaming was the major concern. I've experienced absolutely no problems with ghosting/lag. It's an IPS screen so colours and viewing angles are superior to any tn screen. What's more it's sub £300 delivered from PCBuyit amougst others

9. GoodBytes

Oh please no.. this one is terrible. My brother had it, and returned it immediately.
    - Menu navigation is near impossible
    - A lot of backlit bleeding at the top and bottom of the screen
    - Plastic mechanical system makes it very difficult to adjust the screen
    - Plastic also does this crack sound when you try to adjust the monitor.
    - Colors are terrible (my laptop TN panel is way better)
    - If you reduce the brightness anywhere bellow 100%, the monitor produces this buzzing sound, so your eyes hurt at night and when you have the light of the room close

Check reviews if you don't believe me.

10. dumvadin

dumvadin What's a Dremel?

U2410

I'm seriously considering the U2410 myself but please be aware in case you haven't seen this already, the first release had dithering issues, so look for the REV A 01

Also, there have been complaints from users that their screens have a green & pink tinge at the edge, Dell have commented that this is within parameters and don't consider it grounds for a refund, they will provide a replacement though, see below

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19302919.aspx

11. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

he may have got a dud - i have 3 of the 23" version of this and im really impressed with the colour quality and the general build of them.

12. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Hi mrhrk01, sorry I didn't see your reply sooner.

I have had no problem setting the contrast and brightness on the monitor at all. When I first turned it on it was set really bright, but a quick jump into the OSD menu and it was all sorted.

In terms of advantages, well the monitor is a 1200p monitor, not a 1080p, but it can handle 1080p just as well.

As for disadvantages, so far the only one I have found is the stand, as it has two screws to hold it in, it doesn't swivel/tilt, but other than that, nothing bad to report at all. Colours are good, the contrast ratio is amazing and the fact it is so well-priced for a monitor that can easily ask more is just amazing. I am one of several people over at OCUK who have this monitor, and there is evening a thread on that site where owners talk about it to optimize it, and everyone who has bought it loves the bloody thing! Me included! :D :rock:

13. GoodBytes

This was covered... After Samsung extreme rudeness from their RMA department (no sense of politeness, despite me being very nice with the nice package of "how are you today?" and all hat).
    Sample:
    - Samung: "Yea! What's you want?"
    - Me: "Hello, my name is Ralph"
    - Samsung: "hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh WHAT.. IS.. YOUR... PROBLEM!"

I hanged up, and tried again the next day, got someone else, equally rude.

Once passed that, Samung wanted me to pay shipping to them for the 24inch monitor, and they basically went with the approach of "How badly you want your monitor fixed?" approached.. after battling myself with the manager, I got my free shipping, 3 weeks later, I got another one... supposed to be a "bran new" what the manager told me, as it's under a year old ( less than a week old), and that "new" was finger print and dusty where some cables where missing... not satisfied, and that the display is equally bad (granted the touch sensitive controls worked better, but no where near the U2410 (but it is a cheaper LCD, so I guess it compensate).
    I called the online store where I purchased it, explained the situation, and they were nice enough to accept the return as they said I was not the only one (and it was under the return/exchange date). I had to pay shipping, but as they sent me a label (as they have deals with shipping companies), it was cheap (the same price that my brother paid shipping when ordered the screen).

So that is Samsung, crappy display model and vomit of service.

14. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Bought myself a dell u2410 just over a week ago. Absolutely fantastic.

Some of the panels have tinting issues but mine was very good in this regard... one one colour settings the white looked a little green. A quick trip into factory setting menu ( not covered by warranty btw so shush :p ) to tone the green down a few points at that temperature and I have a 24" h-ips monitor that I'm so happy with I wish I had money for a second.

Some screens have had bad tint issues but the factory settings fix seems enough for the minor tint problem. Either way you can just send the panels back and Dell seem to be quite good in this regard.

Seriously though, this really is a terrific monitor at an excellent price (I got 20% off as they were having a sale which was even more awesome).

Last edited: 27 May 2010
  15. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

16. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

According to TFT Central (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm) it's about 33ms average. However, the monitor has a 'Gaming Mode' which sacrifices some of the colour accuracy to reduce this down to about 14ms. For some folks 30ms would be way too much although I really haven't had any problems and I play FPS a lot. Yeah you have some lag in normal mode but there are plenty of other things that'll slow you down I guess, like varying net speeds etc.

I tried the Gaming Mode with BFBC2 and L4D1/2 and the lack of colour accuracy really isn't an issue. I've noticed no difference in lag when compared to my TN film panel and even in Gaming Mode the colours are many many times better.

17. GoodBytes

I play FPS games Adobe RGB, and I see no input lag (well I am sure there is, but I don't notice it)... From other reviews and my test, I saw a max of 30ms input lag. But, I guess TFT Central are the pros.
    But what bothers me in TFT central review is that many issues, including the backlit issue, is not something that I have, nor other review site has (barely visible when the brightness is set to max in a dark environment (night, blinds closed, and room door and light closed). So I wonder if they got an early revision (as the review is now old), or a bad monitor.

Last edited: 27 May 2010
  18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Bodkin forum member is selling one of those £350 or up for offers!!!
    Clicky
    Cause your a new member you might not be able to see the market place. So If I were you I would send bodkin a PM

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator: 27 May 2010
  19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The U2410 should fit all of your requirements.

As for me, I'm still rocking the 1600x1200 VGA 20" Diamond Pro 91TXM. No ICC profile, but no input lag at all.

Gotta love old CRTs.

20. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

How would you compare the U2410 against the HP LP2475w? The HP got the Excellence award on Bit tech.

I've also seen some mentions of the NEC LCD2490WUXI2 .

Does the Dell favor comparably against these two (I know it does in value as the HP and the NEC are way more expensive here).