1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BBC launches new iPlayer beta

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 May 2010.

1. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Well I was happy with it before but so long as it isn't compulsory or horrendous I guess I can ignore it if I want to.

A really helpful thing to add along with the "I think x is really good. Watch it" feature would be to get stuff on iPlayer more quickly. I can't see why some things take so long to get up there or why they can't let me start watching something after it has started.

If I was watching, say, the last episode of Ashes to Ashes, posted to Facebook that I was loving it and one of my friends saw it and though "oh, I'd like to watch that too", they currently would have to start half way through.

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Anything that gets under the skin of Murdoch and his empire has got to be a good thing.

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Oh didums. Sky isn't happy that it may not be the all dominating force in British media. My heart bleeds [/sarcasm]

4. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

It works fine on my iphone, whats wrong with yours?

5. Doglobster

Doglobster What's a Dremel?

Ditto, no probs watching on my iPhone.

6. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Hmm, not a fan of SN at any time. TBH I would rather they spent a little more time sorting out their program listings than wasting it on SN. I'm sick and tired of only seeing the first three episodes of a series, or only the last one...

Unless you want to watch cr*p like Eastenders, getting a full series of programs is a real PITA.

Last edited: 28 May 2010
  7. phantombudgie

phantombudgie What's a Dremel?

Noooooooo!

Before you know it, iPlayer will turn into a version of youtube, with inane moronic commenters defacing the site with offensive stupidity and off-topic troll-flamer interactions.

This is a mistake. Maybe add a button to reccomend to others (via email, for example) but DO NOT let people add comments!

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

press the <> thats at the top right of the video (i guess most users do not know what it is) to make it turn to the higher stream, it used to be an button that sayed higher Quality, if you want higher then that use the HD one if there is one (3.5mb/s)

but be warned the Stream server is buggy some times and sends the stream at 3.4mb/s not 3.5mb/s so it runs out of buffer (need to report that to BBC this issue is with the L3 Virgin BBC stream server with HD) temp fix for that is to pause it for 20 secs or longer (untill it stops downloading) then play it

it does also depend on what you are watching post the bbc iplayer link see if it does the same here (as even on, Low 480kb, Normal 796kb, High 1500kb) http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sm675/Question_Time_27_05_2010/

ok ignore the above Your Watching an live stream........ 368kb would be correct as its comming directly form BBC servers not from L3 server

9. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Thanks, but that screenshot is with the <> button pressed. I'm talking about live TV here, not a on-demand program.

As far as I can tell there are no HD streams of Live TV (am I wrong??).

What is the maximum quality I should be receiving from BBC News live?

10. leexgx

368kb (keeps bandwidth use down)

on-demand programs are norm served by L3 servers that ISPs have inside there network as your on virgin cable on-demand programs would come at best bit-stream (when selected), Live streams come from BBC them selfs normally (incudeing Live TV program watching before it come onto on-demand)

i can not find news live on bbc iplayer on on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7459669.stm

11. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I use this live stream.

So 368Kb/sec is the maximum live stream? That's a shame.

Thanks for the help dude.

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Oh! I wonder why the live stream was always worse quality! Thanks :)

And that streaming at less than it needs makes sense too, I do sometimes get a problem where I can't stream anything but can happily download the file at 5-6Mbps

13. leexgx

just pause it or use Chrome as it seems to handle it better for some reason (not always)

the pause works for me (issue only seems to be with HD streaming at .1mb/s slower then it needs to),

live streams could be higher then 368kb but it depends on what it is as they need a lot of bandwidth the higher it goes,
    thats why L3 servers for ISP are good as the ISP gets all the on demand stuff from BBC then its streamed from inside works very well for the ISP as it keeps cost down for them, if your ISP lacks L3 the stream bit rate be lower normally

Peercache that failed in the end would of been very good as p2p traffic would of been cached at ISP level but i think only 2-3 ISPs every used used and most clients droped it in the end

Tags: Add Tags